AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boss is under the impression that Hitatchi makes all the lenses for other TV companies, and my dad thinks that Samsung makes all or some of the parts for other companies. Is there any truth to either of these or is it some sales person at BB telling them this to make a sale?

·
Registered
831 Posts
It's true, but not sure if his information is 100% correct though. They may all be competitors in the CE market, but they also have customer/supplier relations as well.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
You'll hear lots of myth about who makes what ....mostly meaningless.

I believe Corning or US precision optics makes most lenses. Hitachi claims thier sets are 100% hitachi parts (possibly, I have my doubts). Most any tv (or ce device) contains parts from many manufacturers ...it's the way it always has been. There are also tube plants that are co owned by different manufacturers. A set is a sum of it's parts and the name brand means little. This is why a company ie Sony can put out a horrible dog product and a fabulous reference product at the same time. Name brand means little to quality. Products need to be judged as individual models. The name only matters in terms of how well a given company will stand behind the product and not orphan it or the customer. Sonys recent debacle with flickering tubes is a good example. It's likely cost Sony millions to correct for thier customers...but they did. If this had happened to apex I doubt theyd still be around.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.