AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am a newbie to this forum, but already I have found a ton of info here.

Thanks to everybody.

My post might seem redundant and a repost, but I have not found answer to my problem anywhere yet hence posting here.

I have built my htpc with Asus M4A78-EM board. It has Windows 7 64 bit OS.

I had a standard TV and a cheap Philips HTiB till now. I connected the htpc to the home theater with a digital coax cable. I used to get 5.1 audio with DVDs, mp3 etc. I connected the tv with a S-video cable to an add-on ati graphics card.

Recently I decided to upgrade my setup, bought a LCD hdtv (Vizio 42") and Onkyo HT-S3300 receiver+speaker combo. I got rid of the video card and connected the onboard hdmi (the mobo has ati hd3200) to the receiver and also the digital coax to the receiver.

Now I get no audio from the htpc. I set the receiver to get the audio from coax. I have downloaded the latest ati and realtek drivers. The only way I can get audio from the receiver is if I choose hdmi audio device. But this means that I can only get stereo not 5.1. I have played a lot with all the drivers and settings in Realtek sound manager but no dice. I dont have a Bluray drive yet, might get it in future.

My question is is there any way I can get 5.1 audio with my setup or do I need to upgrade to some some graphics card with ATI 4850 or something?

·
Registered
6 Posts
First you should check Playback Devices -> HMDI Output. Under Supported formats, you will probably see 2 channel. Before you proceed you should confirm you have the HDMI audio driver installed.

Go to Device Manager -> Monitors

If you see Default Plug N Play Monitor as one, that might be your problem. From there you need to look into EDID Overrides. I am actually having a similar problem and looking for answers on the forum.

avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1227161

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the hdmi audio working. The problem is it only supports two channels. My problem is that I cannot get 5.1 anymore over coax. It used to work in my previous setup and once I moved to hdmi it stopped working. So the issue is how do I get 5.1 over digital coax while using hdmi for video.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some progress. I changed the hdmi in put on my receiver from hdmi3 to hdmi1. This seems to be some Onkyo weirdness. Now If I try digital coax audio, I see that the receiver reports that the audio type is Dolby D. However I still get no audio whatsoever. Still playing with settings.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor.voight /forum/post/0

Some progress. I changed the hdmi in put on my receiver from hdmi3 to hdmi1. This seems to be some Onkyo weirdness. Now If I try digital coax audio, I see that the receiver reports that the audio type is Dolby D. However I still get no audio whatsoever. Still playing with settings.

Still a little confused on your setup. You have hdmi connection from htpc to receiever and digital coax from htpc to receive? Have you tried only using hdmi for both audio/video?

For the 5.1 issue have you verfied that the audio settings on htpc are configured properly? Check under playback devices, select the desired output devicr (coax in your case), then select configure. Do the sound test and see if audio comes from all speakers.

Also make sure the speakers aren't damaged and not putting out sound.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I am using hdmi for both audio/video right now. I want to use digital coax to get 5.1.

With hdmi, I have played with the htpc settings, I have tried using the realtek audio manager. But all the settings give me just the options for stereo, all the 5.1 settings are disabled.

With the coax, I can selet the 5.1 options in playback device settings and realtek audio manager both. However no sound from the speakers at all. I think I am going the route of buying a newer ati card (4870 or something). Apparently these cards can do 5.1 audio over hdmi. I will post my findings once I get my hands on the card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 /forum/post/19627943

Still a little confused on your setup. You have hdmi connection from htpc to receiever and digital coax from htpc to receive? Have you tried only using hdmi for both audio/video?

For the 5.1 issue have you verfied that the audio settings on htpc are configured properly? Check under playback devices, select the desired output devicr (coax in your case), then select configure. Do the sound test and see if audio comes from all speakers.

Also make sure the speakers aren't damaged and not putting out sound.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor.voight /forum/post/19669493

Yes I am using hdmi for both audio/video right now. I want to use digital coax to get 5.1.

The HD3200 behind the HDMI port can carry SPDIF, the same as a Co-Axial or Optical port. And SPDIF can carry 5.1 DD/DTS sound. The HDMI port can carry 5.1 sound to an AVR.

Download and install the latest CCC package from ATI. Choose Custom Install and make sure you have selected the HDMI driver. Don't use Realtek audio drivers or anything else.

After install, reboot; then go to 'Playback Devices' and set ATI HDMI as your default audio device.

Go to 'Properties' and click on supported formats. Test each supported format to see if you hear the test tones from your AVR.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately HD3200 cannot do 5.1 on hdmi. AFAIK it can only do stereo. I did try the settings you suggested, but they did not work. Also if video is going out on hdmi, the AVR just would not accept audio over spdif. I have not figured out why.

I ordered a new video card with HD5450 (el cheapo power color card $20 after rebate on newegg), Voila works out of the box
Got 5.1 audio over hdmi, tested DVD with DTS and Dolby D. Everything is working perfectly now.

Thanks everybody and do give 5450 a shot if things dont work out for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent /forum/post/19669525

The HD3200 behind the HDMI port can carry SPDIF, the same as a Co-Axial or Optical port. And SPDIF can carry 5.1 DD/DTS sound. The HDMI port can carry 5.1 sound to an AVR.

Download and install the latest CCC package from ATI. Choose Custom Install and make sure you have selected the HDMI driver. Don't use Realtek audio drivers or anything else.

After install, reboot; then go to 'Playback Devices' and set ATI HDMI as your default audio device.

Go to 'Properties' and click on supported formats. Test each supported format to see if you hear the test tones from your AVR.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor.voight /forum/post/19788069

Unfortunately HD3200 cannot do 5.1 on hdmi. AFAIK it can only do stereo. I did try the settings you suggested, but they did not work. Also if video is going out on hdmi, the AVR just would not accept audio over spdif. I have not figured out why.

I ordered a new video card with HD5450 (el cheapo power color card $20 after rebate on newegg), Voila works out of the box
Got 5.1 audio over hdmi, tested DVD with DTS and Dolby D. Everything is working perfectly now.

Thanks everybody and do give 5450 a shot if things dont work out for you.

Well, I don't know why it didn't work on your system but glad that you got it working with the 5450.

But you are still incorrect: the HD3200 can do 5.1 over HDMI....Period.

As mentioned before, the HD3200 has a SPDIF connection, so it can do DD/DTS 5.1 and 2-ch PCM.

For some reason, your AVR is seeing only the 2-ch PCM.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I'd agree and was using my HD4200 to pass DD, DTS and my video. Perhaps it was a detailed handshaling thing whereby if he did NOT have the HDCP "supported" in the HDMI Audio's panel it wouldn't give him the options. I had that once with my Onkyo 803 - weeks after using it this way the audio tanked... I went through drivers, hookups, etc only to find the HDCP hadn't confirmed (HDCP: not supported) and the driver wasn't passing my audio... the fix: cycled power on my Onkyo and viola`

Another thing, when he installed and the OS detected the card it could have taken all his drivers and applied them correctly to the HD5450... oh well, for $20 he's up and running. Maybe one day he'll disable the new card and prove his on-board worked all along... :)

BTW, did you DISABLE the on-board video card in BIOS? Doing so may speed up your system's RAM as it is no longer being shared - did so on my 785-based mobo and it showed in my Win Experience Indicator where the RAM number now matches the CPU!

PS At least now he realizes you don't have to use a coax SPDIF to get 5.1 to his HTIB, too!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.