AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the pros / cons of one sheet of glass vs two? Seems like the lower model Samsungs use two sheets of glass while the higher models use a single sheet. On the other hand, from what I've read the 50" and 54" v10 use one sheet but 58" and larger will use two.

Would a second sheet in front reduce front panel buzz?

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm_calgary /forum/post/16912036

What are the pros / cons of one sheet of glass vs two? Seems like the lower model Samsungs use two sheets of glass while the higher models use a single sheet. On the other hand, from what I've read the 50" and 54" v10 use one sheet but 58" and larger will use two.

You misread about the Panasonic 50" and 54" V10 - they both have two layers of glass just like all the other sizes, but on these two sizes the glass extends to the edge of the TV instead of ending under the plastic bezel like on all the other models. The new 54" Z1 model seems to be the one exception - it looks like it will not have an outer glass.

Quote:

It would seem so - that brands that are having panel buzzing issues don't have an outer layer of glass over the plasma panel. The Panasonics have an outer glass and they don't have a panel buzzing problem.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm_calgary /forum/post/16912036

The principal con of a second sheet of glass is that when viewing off-axis you see a reflection of the picture displayed on the inner layer of glass on the outer layer, producing a kind of ghost image. Some people find it vary distracting.

·
Registered
959 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy /forum/post/16913475

The principal con of a second sheet of glass is that when viewing off-axis you see a reflection of the picture displayed on the inner layer of glass on the outer layer, producing a kind of ghost image. Some people find it vary distracting.

I'd modify this statement to say:

"The principal con of a second sheet of glass is that when viewing from close distance and highly off-axis you may see a reflection of certain high contrast images, such as white text on black background, on the inner layer of glass on the outer layer, producing a kind of ghost image. Some people find it very distracting. Most people never see it in normal viewing."

Another benefit of the second sheet is impact resistance. I'd much rather have a Wii mote or other object strike a protective outer piece of glass than the main panel glass.

jeff

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Regarding the panel buzzing, many of the Samsung's with panel buzz complaints do have the second layer of glass. So it doesn't seem to be helping in that case...

All things being equal, I prefer a second sheet. Downsides are secondary reflection, which no one minds in any real-world use -- you have to get very off axis and look for it against things like text on the screen to see it, and the bigger issue which is that the second sheets are always reflective. Theoretically you can reduce reflection by concentrating on only one highly treated glass panel. How much this helps in practice I don't know.

On the other hand I prefer the peace of mind of knowing I have a non-functioning piece of glass between my household and my actual panel.

To each their own...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts