AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a UTV owner for quite a while (over 1 yr) - and love it. However, it seems that recently, one of my two tuners has gone on the blink. It has not totally died, since on occasion, I can still get a second channel up on the PIP, but most of the time, it is dead. The obvious result, is that I'm missing many of the shows I normally record because they conflict out.

I have an RCA box (Basically on eof the original models), have never opened it, and am not sure what to do from here. Is this a major issue, or is there some sort of reset I should attempt before taking it back to the store where I bought it (have an extended warranty).

I appreciate any advice you guys can think of.

Thank you.

Dutch

·
Registered
17,582 Posts
Check the line coming in. You may have a loose or inproperly built connector that recently got loosened enough to cause issues. Try swapping the cables and see if the other tuner has the same issues. If the problem travels with the cable, that's your culprit. If the cable is bad and you can't find a physical problem with the cable, run a new one. If that doesn't work, try leaving the unit off and unplugged overnight and see if a cooling-off period helps. You may need to add a little more ventilation to save the tuner.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'll second that... might swap the cables in the rear also use one at a time see if you can isolate which tuner. If you having trouble with the PIP only it could be the video/mpeg_decoder as it has pip function as part of the chipset.

I had the problem long ago but pulling the ac cleared it and it never did return???

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem with my RCA DWD490RE PVR, so I called tech support at Thompson.

He told me that the new Directv Access card, begins with 0006, is causing tuner number 2 to go on the blink. It will cost $75.00 or more, depending on your warranty, to trade to a working UTV unit. I'm having them send it to a Mail Boxes Etc. store for an extra $20.00.

The tech also mentioned that I request a new Access Card that starts with 0008. This goes without saying, but DON'T PUT YOUR CURRENT ACCESS CARD IN THE NEW PVR or you will have the same problem.

I'm currently trying to get Directv to pay for the new unit, but they are not taking responsibility for the problem.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
17,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Izisin
I have the same problem with my RCA DWD490RE PVR, so I called tech support at Thompson.

He told me that the new Directv Access card, begins with 0006, is causing tuner number 2 to go on the blink.

The tech also mentioned that I request a new Access Card that starts with 0008. This goes without saying, but DON'T PUT YOUR CURRENT ACCESS CARD IN THE NEW PVR or you will have the same problem.

I'm currently trying to get Directv to pay for the new unit, but they are not taking responsibility for the problem.

Hope this helps.
I have an access card that starts with 0006. I had a few video/audio dropouts on records made right after the card swap, but once I put it on UPS, all issues ceased. It may be a coincidence, but I'm not complaining about the results. As of now, my UTV is working flawlessly again.

In reguards to your problem, why are you replacing the unit if you think the card is the problem - just get a replacement card and see what happens. However, I doubt that really is the problem. The tuners in these units are very sensitive. Try leaving the unit unplugged overnight and see if it works better in the morning. Also, try removing and reinserting the card while the unit is powered up - perhaps try that before you shut down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.