AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a remote that can control both stand alone home theater components and an HTPC?

I have an Infocus X1 projector, Onkyo HT-R500 receiver, Panasonic DVD-XP30, and a JVC VCR. I currently control all this stuff with a Radio Shack RS-2116 universal remote.

Now I'm wanting to go HTPC. I guess I won't need the XP30 anymore, but I'll still need to remote control the projector, receiver, and VCR (as well as the HTPC).

Is there one remote that can do all this? A combination universal IR learning remote and PC remote? WAF is of BIG TIME importance to my home theater!

Any input greatly appreciated - thanks

·
Registered
230 Posts
People seem to like the ATI All in Wonder Remote unit for controlling PCs.

http://www.remotecentral.com/wonder/

Another way to go is to pick up a IR reciever for the computer and program you existing remote to work with some type of software that would control the PC. I'm not exactly sure how this would be done, but asking the home theater PC forum would be a start.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
it is not a matter of getting a remote that talks to HTPC, but adding a device that makes the HTPC listen. If you build an HTPC that understands normal IR, then you can pick almost any universal remote

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I currently use a Radio Shack RS-2116. Are you saying if I buy an IR receiver for my HTPC, I can control the PC through my 2116?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
The standard way to do this is with a program called Girder. http://www.girder.nl/

Basically it allows you to teach your PC remote commands that will control its functions. I assume you are planning to use the HTPC as your DVD player and some DVD software such as Theatertek have download files available for controlling their software through Girder. The advantage of Girder is that you can also teach it the basic PC operational commands. Remotes like the Pronto series have tons of files available at Remote Central for controlling most anything. In addition, Home Theater Master has an MX-500 remote that now has a programming package available that allows conversion of Pronto files to MX500 files. As you setup a more complex remote system, the ability to easily make changes and backup your work becomes more important. You can read reviews on these remotes and comments about the various software packages at Remote Central http://www.remotecentral.com/. That should give you enough reading to last a week or two.

..Doyle

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I prefer remotes with hard buttons. I don't like the look and feel of the Pronto remotes, and besides with myHTPC being used as the front-end, I really don't need a fancy remote. The GUI interface of myHTPC makes an LCD remote pretty much redundant. Also I don't want to spend so much money on a remote.

What about Steamzap? Can that remote also control home theater components like a VCR?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
You should be able to do what you want to do with your current remote if you use some type of IR input device and girder. Go and read girder's web site, then do a search in the HTPC forum for girder and your remote. See if you get anything...

Words of caution: girder is VERY powerful, and as such, has a steep learning curve. If you can't get it working at first, keep trying - there is also a forum on the girder page.

Good Luck,

David

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm browsing the Girder forums right now. You're right this is pretty high level stuff, even for an IT person like myself.

So, I have to buy an IR transmitter/receiver unit, and after configuring it, this will allow me to use my Radio Shack remote to control not only my PC, but also my projector and VCR?

If true that's pretty amazing.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
mbaxter,

I am a big fan of Radioshack's remotes (15-1994, etc), and of myHTPC.

You'll be VERY happy with the 15-2116 ($30)... The keyboard layout has almost the myHTPC keys (with the right labels!!!). The few deviations are not critical in my mind: there is no Back key... but the Exit key does work. The other thing is that the FF/RW and PREV/NEXT keys are not separate on the remote (but you can use the Shift button to distinguish them).

This remote should also allow you to control your whole system (PJ, VCR, etc.). You may have to go the JP1 route (which is actually fairly easy, and allows you to program the remote from a PC...)

Good luck

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Mbaxter,

take a look at the USB-UIRT as well
http://home.earthlink.net/~jrhees/USBUIRT/index.htm

The girder software is overwhelming at first, I found that once you dive into it though, it starts to clear up and make sense in a hurry. I have the USB transciever with 56k IR sensor, this allows me fully control the HTPC, as well as use the PC to set up macros to my other devices by sending a single command to the PC via girder and having it send out all subsequent commands. Works very well, and as soon as you conquor the learning curve, there is no limit to what you can do with it. Also, with this, you can use basically any IR remote on the market, only limitation is getting enough buttons to do everything. I have a Pronto, and there is not much I cannot control very easily from it.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys you've been a lot of help. Regarding an infrared receiver-transmitter, which do you think is best, TIRA or USB-UIRT?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
The USB-UIRT is more powerful than the TIRA (It works on a wider range of IR frequencies, is also a good receiver, etc.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.