AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to create a HTPC that is capable of capturing and displaying HDTV images, and has full PVR functionality (pause, scheduled record, guide, etc) - on a TV, with a remote control. I also don't want to pay any subscription fees.

From what I've read, there's only one option out there for me: MythTV and pcHDTV on Linux.

The HDTV Card Buyer's Guide (which talks about Windows-only solutions) says:

"In practice, the remote and the card software make these cards behave more like a VCR/TV combo than a PVR (Such as a ReplayTV or Tivo). The AccessDTV is the only card to come close"

When I looked into AccessDTV, the card has a few show-stopper drawbacks.

1) According to this article you need to pay a subscription fee for the guilde.

2) According to their FAQ the recordings are encrypted and can't be played back on other players.

3) There doesn't appear to be much in the way of remote control support. (a downside listed in the HD Card Buyer's Guide mentioned above).

Assuming what I've read so far is true, is it the case then that there's only one solution currently? Anyone else in my shoes? What have you tried?

Thanks!

Tom

·
Registered
246 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
tlianza - I wanted the same thing, and seem to have come to the same conclusion. I'd love to find that HDTV PVR for HTPC's is really possible. It seems like you can PVR regular TV, or watch HDTV, but not combine both. Since I'm still putting my HTPC together, I'm just working on using it as a jukebox / DVD player ( with non-HD ). I'm trying to keep from spending a whole bunch of money on something that's not yet feasible. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.