AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had to recommend ONE Star Trek DVD...which one would you recommend for the best audio and PQ in combination ..along with a good story line ?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I'm another viewer that thinks STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN (1982) has the best story...and I think it is the best overall ST film. Another one of my ST favorites is the first one: STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE (1979). But, if you're looking for a pretty decent story with above average picture and sound, you might try STAR TREK VI: THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY (1991). I especially liked the sound design in this one.

Happy home theater-ing!

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Of those I've seen, THE WRATH OF KHAN was the best. It reminded me of everything good about the TV show. It wasn't overly pretentious. The story was good, the effects were good, the whole movie was good.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Two best ST movies:

STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN

STAR TREK VI: THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY

What do they have in common?

Nicholas Meyer.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Wrath of Khan is #1 (especially if you are familiar with the original story)

Undiscovered Country is close #2 (most similar to original series with good character development)

And yes.. Nicholas Meyer was the necessary glue holding them together.

Chris.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Wrath of Khan.

·
Registered
303 Posts
First Contact (IMHO) PQ is terrible. Very grainy or pixelated (it's been a while since I viewed the DVD). I would pick up Wrath Of Kahn or wait for the special edition of Undiscovered Country this Tues.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
ST 6 just got a nice new transfer didn't it? That would be the one to go with for now.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Of the first six Star Trek films, The Wrath of Kahn and The Undiscovered Country contain the best storylines.

The original dvd version of Star Trek VI contains a number of problems, including the fact that it was framed incorrectly. Fortunately, a new edition, supervised by Nicholas Meyer is being released this Tuesday (Jan. 27th). I suggest waiting until all the reviews are in, but initial reports look good, and the framing looks to have been corrected to the director's intention.

Out of the first five films, all have been released twice now on dvd. The second round of Special Editions all contain varying degrees of improvements over the original releases. At issue, is the fact that there have been no extensive (and subsequently expensive) restorations applied to the films, thus some of the source material still shows dirt, artifacts etc.

Of the Next Generation stories, First Contact is easily the best story. Out of these discs, the last film Nemesis probably looks and sounds the best (especially on the low end). I would hold off on buying any of the other Next Generation films, as new editions are being planned for the future.

Howie

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I appreciate all of the replies. I should have been a little more precise as my interest was primarily with the ST DVDs (the original cast). The next generation ST never got me excited..... It looks like (based on all the comments) the Wrath of Kahn (Directors Cut) and the NEW ST ..The Undiscovered Country being released Tues 1/27 are the "must haves" (with the original cast).

·
Registered
809 Posts
You're kind of pushing it including Nemesis in that list. ;)

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gtrogue
You're kind of pushing it including Nemesis in that list. ;)
And First Contact for that matter. Sadly, all of the TNG movies have been overglorified sub-par tv episodes. Too bad too, the TNG cast really deserves better. I would have loved to have seen what Nicholas Meyer could have done with a TNG movie.

·
Registered
8,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Salmoneous
Simple rule for ST movies: Even good, odd bad.

2, 4, 6, First Contact (8) and Nemisis (10) are good.

1, 3, 5, Generations (7) and Insurrection (9) are bad.
I've never subscribed to the even/odd theory. It may be true as far as box office performance/ mass market appeal goes (but Nemesis didn't do well for the mass market and is an even number), but Trek fans and sci-fi enthusiasts have very different opinions about the Trek movies.

True sci-fi fans rate The Motion Picture (first movie) as one of the top, if not the best of them all. It was a high concept story not intended for the general average viewer (requires too much thinking).

I rate The Motion Picture and #3 (Search for Spock) as two of my favorites. Per the Kramer argument on an old Seinfeld episode, Search for Spock was a darker, more introspective movie, with a more cerebral pace.

Insurrection was similarly a more brooding, introspective film with more cerebral themes.

Incidentally, Insurrection is often used for critical evaluation of video equipment, particularly the opening village scene, a difficult scene for de-interlacing circuits.

Treks 2,4,6 and 8 wereaction oriented flicks, perfect for the masses (and fun for Trekkers, too ;) )

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.