AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like every time I turn on my XB1 or PS4, they need some kind of update.

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for like 10 minutes and can't play my game or watch a damn TV show. I thought these things were supposed to be able to do this stuff in the background, at 3 am or something ? I thought we were beyond this...

Maybe I have something set up wrong.

Almost makes me long for the days of the Super Nintendo. I would simple plug the cart in, and turn the thing on. No problems with networks, updates, patches, etc, etc. No drama. You plug in the game and you play.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I don't really have an issue with it. It used to be a lot worse (PS3 updates, anyone?).

Are you part of the XBOX Live Preview update thing (can't remember the exact name)?

·
Registered
926 Posts
If you fully power down your systems they can't auto-update, you have to put them in sleep/low power mode or whatever they call it.
Yep, need to have in standby and it will auto-update overnight or whenever the update is pushed out. I've never had to wait for a system update.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Unless you have slow download speeds, they really don't take long. However if they didn't publish out updates quickly, we'd be complaining about the lack of updates. Frankly I'll take the constant updates to improve the system.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I get frequent updates (I'm in the preview program), and they are always done in the background. I haven't turned on my PS4 for months, so I can't really comment on that platform. The PS3 was by far the worst. Not only does it have constant updates, it doesn't even give you a direct link to perform the update. My mom was using a PS3 for Netflix at her house (we had one there for my kids to use when they visit), and she got so frustrated with the updates that she canceled Netflix.

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
Oh man, the other day I brought my kid down to the theater to watch a movie, and the PS3 took over 15 minutes to update....just so I could watch Netflix. I had to start the movie on my iPhone to prevent a full blown toddler meltdown.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Anyone else notice that when they go back to 360, EVERY game you play has to update first? I swear I've updated them already, even as recent as a week before, but still wants to friggin update. It doesn't take long so not a huge deal, but keeping with the theme of this thread, it's kind of annoying. And no, I do not miss those damn PS3 updates. I remember buying Last of Us, couldn't wait to get home and play it. Only to get home and have enthusiasm crushed because I had to wait almost an hour for the dang PS3 to update (hadn't played the PS3 in a while prior). I was so bummed lol.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Anyone else notice that when they go back to 360, EVERY game you play has to update first? I swear I've updated them already, even as recent as a week before, but still wants to friggin update. It doesn't take long so not a huge deal, but keeping with the theme of this thread, it's kind of annoying.
I can't remember if it ever changed, but last I remember, the 360 used a small and temporary Cache partition to store game updates, not its permanent storage partition.

Reactions: BDUB619

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yep, need to have in standby and it will auto-update overnight or whenever the update is pushed out. I've never had to wait for a system update.
A lot of people turn the standby mode off so it wouldn't surprise me if that was the issue here. I remember when the heist update came out for GTA and everyone was complaining about the huge update, I was dreading the wait but it had already downloaded while I was sleeping. :D

·
UHD Addict
37,978 Posts
Seems like every time I turn on my XB1 or PS4, they need some kind of update.

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for like 10 minutes and can't play my game or watch a damn TV show. I thought these things were supposed to be able to do this stuff in the background, at 3 am or something ? I thought we were beyond this...

Maybe I have something set up wrong.

Almost makes me long for the days of the Super Nintendo. I would simple plug the cart in, and turn the thing on. No problems with networks, updates, patches, etc, etc. No drama. You plug in the game and you play.
I have this issue with my secondary XBOne, but my Primary XBOne seems to install most updates on it's own.

I'm in the Preview program and both systems use standby. But I guess, like the game updates, my secondary XBOne won't do it in the background because my gamertag needs to be logged in. Only my primary console will do the updates without me actually being logged in.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
My Xbox does its updates while I am sleeping... now Warfarame... you can be playing and get the MMO style "Update needed, please restart your client... we will force you off in 15 min".

·
Registered
917 Posts
Keep your consoles on standby and you won't have to wait or worry about it. The ps4 doesn't update too often at least the system doesn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In my theater room, my PS4 or Xbox One, whichever happens to be hooked up to the projector at that moment, is located in this shelf / open cabinet thing in the back of the room. It sits next to my amp.

My problem is my cat. This fat kitty, will sometimes try to jump up into that open cabinet, and actually go to sleep on top of my amp. She actually killed one of my Marantz receivers. I would accidentally leave my AVR on overnight, and she would climb up in there and lay on the thing like it was a heater. She killed that damn thing.

Ever since then, I try to make absolutely sure to turn everything off, and close the cabinet doors so that she can't jump in there, and try to sit on the AVR or PS4 or Xbox One or whatever. There isn't much room for free air in there with the doors closed, so I don't leave the consoles in standby mode overnight when I'm going to have my doors closed.

Also, why can't these consoles have a super low power mode, where it's barely on, and it can receive updates, but it doesn't do anything else ? Because it seems like they actually soak up quite a bit of power when in their standby modes. They should have a deep sleep mode you can set it to, where it's barely, barely on, and can receive updates and stuff, but that's basically it. If it had a super low power mode like that, I wouldn't mind leaving it running, even with the doors to my cabinet closed.

·
Registered
611 Posts
You want to know what I hate about modern consoles...? Profiles

Profiles are great for a lot of things, but I think they kill the casually fun experience.

For example: During my Sega Saturn days, I had the O.G. Need for Speed. Everyone that came to my house picked up and played that game. Friends and family all had best times with their name beside it. Everyone would jump on to see if someone knocked them off the top. Some of the time they didnt even know who the person was, but wanted their spot.

Not only do most games not support this arcade style of fun, if they do, its all gamertag based and setting up a profile takes forever. I miss the old days of "You have a new high score... Enter your name"

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
how do you expect to download updates if you shut down the game system?
I do find it amusing that complaints are often due to someone's own situation, not due to a problem with the console. That would be like blaming my computer for not rendering out a video from Premiere Pro when I put it in sleep mode.

Besides, the PS4 and XBOX One already have a lower power state where they download game and system updates (don't know why you'd just want system updates), they're called Rest Mode (PS4) and Instant-On (One).

1 - 20 of 61 Posts