AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is a quirky setup...

I have two separate RF distribution points both broadcasting on CH 3 for the upstairs and downstairs of the house.

That is, Channel 3 for all the TV's downstairs is the same, and channel 3 for all the TV's upstairs is the same; but the upstairs and the downstairs display different things (from different sources)

Let's assume for the sake of my setup that I cannot change it from channel 3.

Now, we have security cameras modulated onto channels 81-86.

I'd like to broadcast the cameras to both the upstairs and downstairs.

However, I cannot simply combine the RF because the two zones are broadcasting different things on channel 3.

So what I want to do is have a one-way splitter for the security broadcasts so that their RF goes into to up and down zones but that those zones' RF doesn't go back into the network?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Banned
295 Posts
Assuming both upstairs and downstairs get "cable TV" as well, that means there is a splitter somewhere that feeds both. the security cameras, then shoul dbe fed into the system before that splitter.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Feller /forum/post/18296927

Assuming both upstairs and downstairs get "cable TV" as well, that means there is a splitter somewhere that feeds both. the security cameras, then shoul dbe fed into the system before that splitter.

can't do this because of how the place is wired. I can't easily bring the cam coax to the source cable without putting it through the existing cable network (which is the problem from the start)

·
Registered
2,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKaram /forum/post/18297291

can't do this because of how the place is wired. I can't easily bring the cam coax to the source cable without putting it through the existing cable network (which is the problem from the start)

Well, it's either run a cable from the modulator to where the cable enters the house and combine it there or backfeed the modulator through the system of whatever floor it's on to where the whole system begins, convert the locally modulated channels to different channels and combine them back into the system prior to the upstairs-downstairs split.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by egnlsn /forum/post/18301664

Well, it's either run a cable from the modulator to where the cable enters the house and combine it there or backfeed the modulator through the system of whatever floor it's on to where the whole system begins, convert the locally modulated channels to different channels and combine them back into the system prior to the upstairs-downstairs split.

Let's say I do this:

I run the camera feeds through an second, superfluous RF modulator solely for the purpose of preventing the up/downstairs broadcast from combining on that line?

I mean, this is a roundabout way of a one-way RF splitter....

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Just for discussion purposes, let's call the TV sets 1a, 1b, 1c, 1d (first floor) and 2a, 2b, 2c, 2d (second floor).

How is everything currently setup and to which TVs are the cameras currently connected?

What exactly would a 2nd modulator accomplish, and exactly how would it be connected and to what?

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by egnlsn /forum/post/18304483

Just for discussion purposes, let's call the TV sets 1a, 1b, 1c, 1d (first floor) and 2a, 2b, 2c, 2d (second floor).

How is everything currently setup and to which TVs are the cameras currently connected?

What exactly would a 2nd modulator accomplish, and exactly how would it be connected and to what?

The cameras are currently run to a central box (call it box 3) with a modulator.

tv sets 1a,b,c are connected in a box downstairs (call it box 1)

and tv sets 2a,b,c are connected in a box upstairs (call it box 2)

so we have three boxes.

Now, boxes 1 and 2 have a single coax run to box 3 where the camera feeds are

I cannot simply connect the camera feeds to both cables because that will combine the rf on each of them.

So what I'm suggesting is to add an additional modulator (or one-way RF splitter/trap) onto one side of the split camera feed. It doesn't matter which, just that it will prevent the RF feed from boxes 1 and 2 from combining.

See what I"m getting at?

·
Registered
102 Posts
No. Too much info here.
What signal are you distributing? Sat TV? Cable? Local origin? There are combiners, notch filters adn such that will do what you need, but a better picture of what you have is needed for anyone to be able to help.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Please open the attached drawing and, using Paint, complete it with how your system is currently setup. You can send it back as a PM if you want.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You see, I cannot simply put the two CH3's in a single splitter at the cameras' modulator because that would combine the two different CH3 feeds.

I need to feed the cameras into both but not allows the two CH3 feeds to combine

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkxmlr /forum/post/18305220

No. Too much info here.
What signal are you distributing? Sat TV? Cable? Local origin? There are combiners, notch filters adn such that will do what you need, but a better picture of what you have is needed for anyone to be able to help.

a filter for CH 3 would work and I just put it on one side of the camera feed splitter.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKaram /forum/post/18306668

You see, I cannot simply put the two CH3's in a single splitter at the cameras' modulator because that would combine the two different CH3 feeds.

I need to feed the cameras into both but not allows the two CH3 feeds to combine

Just a regular 2-way splitter on the output of the cameras' modulator would do what you need. (Splitters have a rather high port-to-port isolation, so you don't need to worry about the systems bleeding into each other.) At each channel 3 modulator, either a 2-way splitter inserted backwards (which makes it a combiner) or a directional coupler would combine the cameras' modulator with the channel 3 modulator for distribution.

What exactly provides the ch 3 signal. Depending on what it is, a directional coupler might be better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts