AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
August 25th is the day that those of us with DNS access will lose either our East Coast or West Coast feeds. Given the track record of DirecTV, I am speculating how it may screw this up. For example, I can foresee, at least for some customers, DirecTV shutting off the wrong time zone, or, worse, shutting off a person's entire DNS access. When that occurs, those affected will call DirecTV and find themselves denied access to any DNS. Just a thought of impending actions by DirecTV and possible consequeces. Or will it get it right? What do you think?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Great! We are actually losing hd channels instead of gaining. This must be a special math that D* has developed. Sc*ew them they can have their distants. My bill will be cut in half when this happens. Might drop them altogether when my year is up in October. The thing that bothers me the most is this is all happening because of football. Notice cut off date is before the nfl season begins.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper
Great! We are actually losing hd channels instead of gaining. This must be a special math that D* has developed. Sc*ew them they can have their distants. My bill will be cut in half when this happens. Might drop them altogether when my year is up in October. The thing that bothers me the most is this is all happening because of football. Notice cut off date is before the nfl season begins.
nonsense

·
Premium Member
48,895 Posts
If DirecTV really was shutting of one HD DNS feed per household "because of football" it could far more easily simply black out NFL games in O&O (waiver) areas, and offer only the appropriate (time zone) game in other cities.

Then DirecTV could keep its subscription $$$ and -- at the same time -- not jeopardize NFL ST.

The shut off is happening because of SHVERA, and because local stations are almost unanimously refusing to issue HD waivers.

We might disagree with some of the interpretation of SHVERA, but then how many of us have taken the time to read it?

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
I am in an O&O area for CBS and Fox. D* says I need to order locals by August 24 to keep my HD nets from CBS and Fox. Is this true?

·
Super Moderator
18,523 Posts
MnGuy

Since you'll be eligible for the HD feeds for CBS and FOX even after 8/25, I'd be tempted to just wait and see what happens. You can always order locals on the 25th and get the HD nets until LIL is available in your market.

Doc

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon
MnGuy

Since you'll be eligible for the HD feeds for CBS and FOX even after 8/25, I'd be tempted to just wait and see what happens. You can always order locals on the 25th and get the HD nets until LIL is available in your market.

Doc
Ok, so it's not like some cut off date that if I don't order locals by that date, I forever lose my HD nets?

·
Super Moderator
18,523 Posts
No. You're fine. the whole reason FOR the HD nets is to provide HD networks into markets where the affiliate is owned-and-operated. Availability to DNS subs was just a bonus. If anything, people in O&O markets will continue to get either NY or LA until their digital locals are up on Spaceway and everyone's equipment has been changed out.

Doc

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa
We might disagree with some of the interpretation of SHVERA, but

then how many of us have taken the time to read it?
I have wasted many hours reading it. And while I agree that D* has made a decision to shut off west coast feeds to the eastern zones in an appearance of fairness, I can not think of one section of the law that makes us either:

1) Accept our locals as a condition of keeping digital distant feeds, and:

2) Lose our SD DNS as a condition of keeping digital DNS.

One clause in the law refers to service available after 12/8/04. I have to wonder how this is going to affect ABC and FOX who were not "up" on that date. FOX may have an out since they were "up" in October for the series.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i had D* turn off my dns's this week. I now only get NY hd. I did it early because our reciever in our bedroom is from when i originally got D* back in 98 an rca 222 and that reciever couldn't pick up our local channels now (new orleans) so i had them send me a tivo.

well today i took my old rca 222 and hooked it up in another room and all my original channels came in even the e/w dns. so i looked on directv.com and it didn't show me having that reciever active. wonder how long before they cancel it?

I didn't really care about the west coast dns i just wanted the east coast for penn state football, now instead of spending $10/ month i'm getting the ny hd channels for free. they said i could keep the standard def. ny channels also but since we ordered our locals through directv i had them cancel them.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
They will have issues for the first few weeks, after that all will be as expected.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Glad D* doesn't fly airplanes if it will take them a couple of weeks to get it right. Of course they have trained us to set our expectation low.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnGuy
Ok, so it's not like some cut off date that if I don't order locals by that date, I forever lose my HD nets?
I'm going to do what the letter told me to do, i.e. order locals by the 24th. They're only $3.00/ month, and I sure as heck don't want to risk losing (all) my DNS HDs forever for $3.00.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa
The shut off is happening because of SHVERA, and because local stations are almost unanimously refusing to issue HD waivers.

I am totally suprised at the number of people keeping their SD/DNS and giving up their Hd/DNS, I just don't get it. I thought we were all about the HD, Baby!

fredfa has got it pegged, this is about local broadcasters distaste for DNS, the drying up of the waiver well, and NAB, DirecTV has got to work with the rest of the industry. It is not about football.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper
The thing that bothers me the most is this is all happening because of football. Notice cut off date is before the nfl season begins.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmccamy
I am totally suprised at the number of people keeping their SD/DNS and giving up their Hd/DNS, I just don't get it. I thought we were all about the HD, Baby!

fredfa has got it pegged, this is about local broadcasters distaste for DNS, the drying up of the waiver well, and NAB, DirecTV has got to work with the rest of the industry. It is not about football.

Some of us live in areas (LA) were we are able to receive OTA with no problems. For me it is not logical or useful to keep my Local HD Networks via DirecTV. Since not all programs are HD and I still watch some programs that are SD, keeping my SD DNS makes more since. I have a HD-TIVO so I can record some of these shows earlier and still be able to manage my night time programming. If I could choose between East or West HD I would choose HD East to help with programming conflicts, but I don't so I will cut some of my programming and save a few bucks while I'm at it.

DirecTV says its the LAW and that I have to make a choice, so I will do that were it benefits me and not them.....after all its our money.

Dave

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Ok, I kinda get that. My whole DirecTv experience is Post- Shvrea, so SD/DNS was never an option.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon
No. You're fine. the whole reason FOR the HD nets is to provide HD networks into markets where the affiliate is owned-and-operated. Availability to DNS subs was just a bonus. If anything, people in O&O markets will continue to get either NY or LA until their digital locals are up on Spaceway and everyone's equipment has been changed out.

Doc
Is there any possibility that those of us in O&O markets will keep the distant networks after the spaceway locals are launched? I'd love to still have boston or ny baseball games on saturday, instead of the ridiculous fox national game situation.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I got the letter stating they will shut off 80,82,86,88 (east HD) but it mentioned nothing about SD. I have locals and 4 DNS waviers and receive 380-389 for $9/mo. I'm worried about having the SD DNS shut off without giving me a chance to cancel my locals and keep SD DNS.

Have others in this status been notified about choosing between SD DNS and one coast HD DNS w/locals?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Do ya want the HD or the SD?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.