AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, time for a new opinion on the Onix line. I don't own ANYTHING that say's Onix on it or anything from AV123 and I have been listening to everything from Monitor Audio, Paradigm, Sonus Faber, Vienna Acoustics, Mirage, Thiel, Kef and many others in the past few weeks.

All of you have been told over and over about how great the Ref 1's are by MD and Sa-dono. Well........................................................ .who would have thought that they actually knew what they were talking about. Everything you have heard about them is true and I mean everything. The best gloss and finish I have ever seen on a speaker below $5k (or maybe more) and when these guy's say they play BIG that's not true, they play BIG and HUGE. You never get the sense that you are listening to the speakers that are in front of you. You are sitting in front of a stage, It's absolutely amazing. Soundstage is 2nd to none and what amazing detail, I really loved listening to them.

How they get that kind of bass response out of a 5 1/4" woofer still stuns me. I just don't get it. They had such a LUSH detailed yet a tad bid bright of a sound. That was the one thing that did stand out to me and bothered me slightly. They are a little on the bright side until when we listened to them thru the P3A DAC or P1A. The combination of those two marvels really takes the edge off of the brightness. I really do feel that the correct combination of equipment and cable would bring them down a bit and make them a tad less bright. I expected to hear that brightness because to really get that kind of detail you would expect them to be a tad bright. I can't imagine what a full set up would sound like for SACD or DVD-A, I'm sure it would be amazing. I might just have to find out for myself. I would agree with others who would say that this is the best "bookshelf" or monitor speaker I have heard.

I just can only imagine what the Ref 2's sound like. I can't wait to find out.

Now my honest opinion on the Rockets. This was my first time listening to the Rockets. When I first saw them I was really amazed at the build quality. The color is not my cup of tea but they are truley beyond anything else in their price range. When I first heard them with music I thought something was wrong. My wife was there too and she looked at me kind of puzzled and asked "what are they listening to?". I could have sworn it was a bad MP3 recording, in fact that is what I told her at first. I then looked at saw that the CD player was on and playing. To be completely honest I did not like how they sounded. Sounded like they had a blanket over the speakers. REALLY LAID BACK SOUND that I'm sure many people like but again not my cup of tea.

What I don't understand is how these same speakers could COMPLETELY AND I MEAN COMPLETELY transform when Mad Dog put in the Eagles DTS DVD. They turned from a "so so music system" to "one of the best HT setups I have heard in a long time". I really think that a big part of it is the center channel. I can honestly say it is one of the best center's I have EVER heard. Voices and dialog were about as clear and realistic as you can expect out of a $1,500 center channel............Oh wait.........a $599 center channel???? Mark and the av123 crew are completely nuts for letting that speaker go for such a little amount of money!!

Well I could go on and on but I've got stuff to do as I'm sure the rest of you do. Please remember that this is only MY opinion and others may vary. Some people might love the rockets for music and others might think that the Ref 1's don't do it for them (those who are tone deaf and insane ). Thanks again to Mad Dog for putting up with all of us and providing his home and equipment. Really a first class guy. :)

Aaron

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
>

Exactly. Everyone who heard the Rockets at my place described the sound as "hand over mouth". You don't realize just how muffled sounding they are until you AB them w/ another set of speakers.

The Rockets work great for home theater but I would not consider them if you listen mostly to music.

-Brian

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Reference series is the next step up on the chain of Onix speakers. They are more for the Audiophile who wants to step up to a audio/HT setup or for 2 channel listening only. I think that the Rockets are meant for a person who is doing 70/30 HT to music listening and the Ref's are the other way around. You can find out more info on them on the av123 site.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
 http://www.**********/about_news.php Down at the bottom under Future products. That is all they have about them. There is more in their forum and on this one. Do a search for Onix Ref 1 or the Ellis 1801. Their was a great review of a side by side of the Ref 1's, 1801 and the ACI saphire.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
The Rocket 750's are warm sounding, however it's a mischaracterization to say they're just a Home Theater speaker. They're perfect for music if you like more of a Dynaudio or Acoustic Energy sound for extended listening without fatigue. They might sound "dull" to some next to a zippier speaker, however you'd get similar results from other warm sounding speakers as well. If a brighter speaker were compared with a pair of Dynaudio C-4's, I'd be surprised to see someone say the C-4's must be just an HT speaker.

Some of us prefer that kind of speaker for music.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Exactly. I know that some people really do like them and prefer that sound. It's really interesting when you see the differences in people's tastes. Just shows you that YOU need to listen to a speaker instead of listening to only people's thouhts. With how much music I listen to and with my taste I would not prefer the rockets. Now a set of Rockets for HT and then a nice Ref setup for music, that's a whole other story. :)

Big big props out to Mark for providing an amazing product at an amazing price. I can't wait to see what else he has up his sleave.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
As a full blown music addict and musician for the last 30 years, I think I can top just about anyone on how much time in a week is spent in the sweet spot with music. (Not bragging, others spend their time researching a cure for cancer.) Partly from that comes the desire for warm speakers, but overall, it's that taste thing. ;)

I'm glad you found speakers you like. Like shoes, sometimes it's hard to find the perfect pair for your feet, but when it's a great thing when you do.

·
Banned
172 Posts
Wow, all this time I thought I was the only one who thought there was something funny going on with all this "hype" about the Rockets. I guess now I am not the only one.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fourseasons,

Not at all what I meant. Not even close. My not liking the rockets for music means nothing to you or anybody else when it really comes down to it. These are Marks baby's and he has expressed before that the Rockets are designed for HT first. For HT they are an absolute steal and shouldn't ever be passed up. They did music much better then a THX designed speaker or others that are for HT only or mostly. Also as Mad Dog explained to me, the music that was being played wasn't exactly the best recordings. In fact I think the 2 CD's that the guy doing the demo (the guy who was interested in the rockets) were 2 80's R&B CD's that were not the greatest of recordings.

I like a detailed in your face speaker. If you like a speaker like the paradigm's, canton or any other "layed back" or warm and lush type of sound then the rockets would be right for you.

I believe in the hype now.

·
Banned
172 Posts
Bigwally, if you are implying that I am trolling, then I am geniunely offended. I am an average consumer who likes to ponder about the pscyhological aspects of marketing.

If a product is so perfect that its followers automatically deflect any second opinions, then I would assume there is something seriously wrong with the mentality.

Even B&W is not immune from criticism. And no one on this board who has posted less than celestial praise of B&W have been labeled as a "troll."

Again, I don't have the funds to audition either the Rockets or B&W's, and I am not in the position to lose the return shipping charge for trying out the Rockets. What has puzzled me is the unusally amount of praised heaved upon Rockets, even before the speakers were avaiable to the general market.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I decided not to play into it, hence the deletion of my post before your follow-up was posted.

Your questions might be legitimate, however you didn't ask a question. Your statement looked like trolling.

·
Registered
459 Posts
bigwally, i have a friend who is interest in getting the onix rocket speakers and mate them with hk avr7200. u said rockets are warm sounding speakers...and other said hk is warm sound receiver. isn't this a no no combination?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Quote:
Now a set of Rockets for HT and then a nice Ref setup for music, that's a whole other story.

That is exactly why I'm in musical bliss every time I go home. The Ref 1's are really a steal at the price they are selling them for. I was one of the people who did the shootout of the Ellis 1801's, Ref 1's, and ACI Sapphires. The little Ref 1's more than held their own in the shootout!:D

I have stated before that I prefer the Ref 1's for a music only speaker over the Rockets. Now that being said, I have yet to hear a speaker that does better for HT at anywhere near the price point of the Rockets. If I had to choose only one setup for both I would go with the Rockets. The Bigfoot center channel does a great job with HT and isn't too shabby with DVD-A either. I guess if you were picking a particular line within the Onix family, I would say you need to know what your intended uses are. When I purchased the Rockets I would say my usage was 90/10 HT with my old speakers. Once I got the Rockets that changed to 60/40 as the Rockets were a welcome change from the Klipsch. Once that happened I decided to give the Reference 1's a try. Now I have a 2 channel setup of the Ref 1's and a Rocket setup for HT. While listen to the Ref 1's for music the majority of time I don't feel like I'm selling myself short if I listen to the Rockets. What can I say, I'm a happy guy when it comes to my speakers! :D

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Fourseasons
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=249173

Read the posts at the end of this thread, very informative.

And I'll keep my mouth shut now.
There was an inference there that Rocket posts are fueled by AV123's advertising budget. I know that not to be true. Aside from that, I didn't see anything on that thread with which I disagreed.

Skepticism is a good thing in my book, however it's easy to take skepticism to the point of being closed minded. Research is the key to keep one from becoming the other.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Billie
bigwally, i have a friend who is interest in getting the onix rocket speakers and mate them with hk avr7200. u said rockets are warm sounding speakers...and other said hk is warm sound receiver. isn't this a no no combination?
I had an HK receiver many years ago but it was many generations removed from the current models, of which I'm not familiar. I haven't seen the frequency response numbers from the AVR-7200, so I have no reason to believe it's warmer sounding than anything else out there. I'd have no hesitation toward this combination unless I saw a rolled-off freq. response from the HK.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Billie
Billie,

I've extended you 2 offers to come on over and listen to the Rockets for yourself but have yet to hear from you.

After all, the best way to decide is to decide with your own ears...

If your friend is in the Los Angeles area, he is more than welcome to PM me and I would be happy to have him over to audition the Rockets or Refs.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Brinkman
Thanks. The last time I looked at the website the RS750 was their top of the line.
The RS750 is top-o-the-line for the Rocket line...but then came the Onix Reference line...:)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.