AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I AM SO EXCITED!!!! The ONIX REFERENCE 1's have arrived in So. Cal!!! :D I'm at work and the Ref 1's just showed up at home...I feel a 2 week flu coming on right about.....NOW! Need to tell my boss I don't feel good. ;) I'm so excited but I've got so much work to do that I won't be home till late. :( Anyways, after I'm done moving to my new place and get the speakers broken in, members are welcome to come over to audition them. Send me a PM if you are interested. By that time, I should have also received my Rocket 750's. This will be about 2-3 weeks from now.

I heard the Rocket 750 and was BLOWN AWAY by their performance so I am eager to hear and see what the Ref 1's look and sound like!

Many thanks to Mark and Sean!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog
I AM SO EXCITED!!!! The ONIX REFERENCE 1's have arrived in So. Cal!!! :D I'm at work and the Ref 1's just showed up at home...I feel a 2 week flu coming on right about.....NOW! Need to tell my boss I don't feel good. ;) I'm so excited but I've got so much work to do that I won't be home till late. :( Anyways, after I'm done moving to my new place and get the speakers broken in, members are welcome to come over to audition them. Send me a PM if you are interested. By that time, I should have also received my Rocket 750's. This will be about 2-3 weeks from now.

I heard the Rocket 750 and was BLOWN AWAY by their performance so I am eager to hear and see what the Ref 1's look and sound like!

I'm with you Mad Dog...also in LA and just got my speakers today (not the Refs though - a Rocket package 2). They're sitting at home, while I'm at work. And of course, to make it even worse, I have to attend a holiday party that my boss is throwing tonight...and won't be home until too late to set them up tonight.

Here's hoping my upstairs neighbors are going away for the holidays...

-n

PS - Thanks for the audition offer, but I really don't want to hear something kick the a$$ of my brand new Rockets :)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Congratulations, Mad Dog. Looking forward to your impressions as you may be the 1st man in North America to be enjoying them!

If only they could sell that "new speaker aroma" in a spray can. :D

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bigwally
Congratulations, Mad Dog. Looking forward to your impressions as you may be the 1st man in North America to be enjoying them!
No..but maybe the first on AVS forum (not associated with AV123) to post impressions on them, thanks to the lurkers. ;) Well unless he puts it off for some strange reason, in which case I will :D

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by bigwally

If only they could sell that "new speaker aroma" in a spray can. :D
Thanks! I'll be glad to share my impressions...

BTW, I am NOT the 1st man in North America to be enjoying them...Actually there are 3 people that I know of who have that honor...Mark, Sean and Steve...oh, correction...2 men now...Mark is travelling again. ;)

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Sa-dono
No..but maybe the first on AVS forum (not associated with AV123) to post impressions on them, thanks to the lurkers. ;) Well unless he puts it off for some strange reason, in which case I will :D
i won't have any strange reasons to hold off posting impressions, but since i don't have a monopoly on anything, i'm ok if you beat me to posting your review. :D

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by neilaevans
PS - Thanks for the audition offer, but I really don't want to hear something kick the a$$ of my brand new Rockets :)
Come on! It'll be fun! You can come over with Sa-dono and any other members who might be interested in these and we'll have a listening party!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mad Dog, what area of So Cal do you live in? Winter break is around and my dad and I are thinking of getting the Rockets for home, but I just wanted to hear the Onix References as well.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by swanlee
Are these the new more expensive Onix speakers I heard about? Is there any info,pics on these anywhere?
Hey Swanlee,

Indeed, these are the new line from Onix. The reference line is a totally independent endeavor from Rocket, using much different enclosures, drivers, and crossovers. They both, however, share the Vifa XT tweeter. There are some pictures in the long Rocket thread, though very shortly you'll find much more information on these (and every other new Onix/Rocket product that's been rumored for the past couple weeks) on our new site. We should be ready to launch this evening, so take a look tomorrow or this weekend under our new "News and Reviews" page. You'll find info, stats, high-res photo's of the new Ref line (both 1 and 2) as well as the Rocket Risers, Rocket Subs, ELT, etc...

If you have any specific questions, feel free to send me an e-mail!

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog

Hey Mad Dog,

Have you actually had a chance to LOOK at the speakers yet? Of course, you're going to be blown away by how they sound, but just wait until you see the quality of these cabinets. This was what caught me off guard when we popped open the first samples...I've literally NEVER seen a better looking speaker than the bird's eye birch Ref 1 (though the satin lacquer Rosewood is a VERY close second).

I'm excited to hear your thoughts on how the two compare...it's difficult to put into words the difference, but I think you'll see exactly what we've tried to get across once you fire them up.

Looking forward to hearing more!

Steve

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ozmai
We should be ready to launch this evening, so take a look tomorrow or this weekend under our new "News and Reviews" page.
Is this site up and available? A link perhaps? Not sure if it's not up yet, or I just can't find it :D

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Are these the new more expensive Onix speakers I heard about? Is there any info,pics on these anywhere?
Yes, they are...There are some pics posted in the main Rocket thread...

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Ok I found the pics of them and they look really nice although slighty of the more traditional design as far as woofers go then the rockets. So what part of these speakers are going to make them sound better than the 750's? I'm not questioning that fact just curious as what these things have hidden in them.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Innova
Is this site up and available? A link perhaps? Not sure if it's not up yet, or I just can't find it :D

The site will be at **********. It's not up just yet...

Sean

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
What page are the pics in?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Quote:
Ok I found the pics of them and they look really nice although slighty of the more traditional design as far as woofers go then the rockets. So what part of these speakers are going to make them sound better than the 750's? I'm not questioning that fact just curious as what these things have hidden in them.

They are designed with two channel music in mind versus the Rockets where they are a bit more versatile for HT and music.

If you are going at least 75%+ music, then the Ref series should be seriously looked at. If you are into both HT and music, the Rocket series is what I would buy. The reason for this is the voicing. There is no perfect speaker for everything...

Don't mistake this as the 750s are not good for music...they certainly are or I would not use them in my system. For comparision, my main theater is 750 + 200 + 550. My bedroom music only system has the maple Ref 1's....

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Regards,

Sean

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Hi

Sean,

my only other question is what other high end materials, crossovers, are used in the reference 2 that make it $1000 more than the rockets? On the surface the rockets look like they have more going on but knowing looks aren't everything what makes the Reference 2's special? Just curious as $2500 is still within my price range and I pretty much determined the Rockets were gonna be mine but if these would be even better they would work to.

My primary use will be 90% music, I honestly don't care what the HT side of things are like my opinion is if you have a system tweaked for music the HT thing will take care of itself. I have a 5.1 setup but have a Sony V444ES that I use CinemaStudio mode on which is an all channel DSP like Logic 7, so I'll use all channels for CD SACD and DVD-A music primarily.

1 - 20 of 155 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.