AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have read enough reviews on here bet the ref 1's and other speakers, so i was wondering if anyone has listened to the axiom's vs the ref's.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
I have heard them both...but not side by side.

I like them both as well, but there is a $700 price difference between the two pairs. You could then move up to the M80's for comparison, and still be $400 less than the Ref1.

It would definitely be a interesting comparison to say the least.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I am having that exact same predicament... yes Curtis, comparing

the two side by side would be awesome.

One is a large tower with many "cheap" drivers, versus a

bookshelf with only 2 "expensive" drivers... but they should

be compared because the cost is a lot closer than say

the M22ti comparison that you guys made a few months back.

Me personally, I've decided to go the DIY route, though

that option turned out to be not as cheap as I origionally thought!

Dreamaster

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Yeah...the M60 is much more refined and capable than the M22.

Hope Axiom owners won't take offense to the "cheap" drivers comment. :D

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
heard the M22s and Ref 1s in the same room...

apples and oranges comparison...

M22s are detailed but sound harsh, bright, and metallic to my ears. Refs are just as detailed but much smoother, much more refined and more natural sounding. totally different class of speaker as one should expect them to be given the price points.

no comparison in cabinet construction and finish either. there is no way possible that the M22s should be or expected to be finished as nicely as the Refs for their price. i would not expect any speaker manufacturer to pull that off.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamaster
One is a large tower with many "cheap" drivers, versus a

bookshelf with only 2 "expensive" drivers... but they should

be compared because the cost is a lot closer than say

the M22ti comparison that you guys made a few months back.
anyone in the So Cal area w/ the higher end Axioms is more than welcome to bring their speakers by to compare w/ the Ref 1s at my place...

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog
anyone in the So Cal area w/ the higher end Axioms is more than welcome to bring their speakers by to compare w/ the Ref 1s at my place...
Harder to move the bigger Axioms than the Ref1s' though.

I'd like to bring by my CMT-340's some day when you aren't working so much!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cschang
Harder to move the bigger Axioms than the Ref1s' though.

I'd like to bring by my CMT-340's some day when you aren't working so much!
true dat...but i'd love to hear the bigger axioms thru my 2 ch gear...this would eliminate any questionable performance associated w/ gear...so it's harder to move the monoblocks than it is to move the bigger axioms. :)

You're welcome to bring the 340s over anytime...My system has changed a bit from the last time you were here so you might be interested in hearing those anyways. :)

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
I would always want to checkout your new toys. Then problems is I will always leave wanting to buy stuff! :D You are a bad influence! :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Here's an offer for you.

I have the M60ti's. They're powered by a Rotel amp and Rotel RSP-1066 processor. I even have speaker switcher box that we could use.

You're more then welcome to bring your Onix Ref 1's over for a side by side comparison. I'm just not willing to lug the M60's out of here.

·
Registered
644 Posts
bump!

I don't know if Mad Dog saw this but a side by side of these two would be cool!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Just a side note that has nothing to do with sound but if your putting speakers in a place like a family room where they will always be seen, Onix uses real wood veneers not vinyl as axiom does.. Even though vinyl has caught up some it still does not look the same on BIG speakers next to real wood. Bookself size I doubt it would matter much.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
looks aside, i am really interested in the difference in sound bet/ them.

i will probably put in an order for the ref1 package anyways today, but i would still love to hear what u guys would have to say about a comparison bet/ them (i don't think there is anyone that would contest which speaker looks better) :)

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by spiffnme
Here's an offer for you.

I have the M60ti's. They're powered by a Rotel amp and Rotel RSP-1066 processor. I even have speaker switcher box that we could use.

You're more then welcome to bring your Onix Ref 1's over for a side by side comparison. I'm just not willing to lug the M60's out of here.
spiffnme:

First off, you might want to try addressing the person in question (manners and all, if you never learned that). Secondly, you've had many offers from MD for auditions. You have always mentioned time constraints. Now you are "not willing to lug the M60's." Considering that many others have transported floorstanders for comparisons, I'm not sure where the problem lies. Thirdly, I personally don't feel your gear is quite up to snuff (in comparison to what is available) for a comparison with a higher end speaker, and most speaker switches create a fair amount of degradation to the signal. Just some thoughts and advice, should you really want this comparison to take place....

·
Registered
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sa-dono
spiffnme:

First off, you might want to try addressing the person in question (manners and all, if you never learned that). Secondly, you've had many offers from MD for auditions. You have always mentioned time constraints. Now you are "not willing to lug the M60's." Considering that many others have transported floorstanders for comparisons, I'm not sure where the problem lies. Thirdly, I personally don't feel your gear is quite up to snuff (in comparison to what is available) for a comparison with a higher end speaker, and most speaker switches create a fair amount of degradation to the signal. Just some thoughts and advice, should you really want this comparison to take place....
First off, Sa-dono, my offer was to anyone who was interested, no one person in particular.

Secondly, perhaps you're getting me confused with someone else? Mad Dog, help me out here, but I don't think you and I have ever been in contact before for demoing anything have we?

You have the audacity to call me rude for not addressing someone by name, and then post the rudest message I've read in a long, long time.

"Not up to snuff??" Since when is $3100 of Rotel gear not "up to snuff" to playback a pair of Onix Ref 1's? Give me a break...PLEASE!

Before making my M60 purchase I spent a week listening to them against a pair of Energy Veritas 2.2's. (another $1500 pair of speakers, or are the Veritas also "not up to snuff" enough for you?), and in the end I preferred the Axioms. So I am more than happy to hear them against another $1500 pair of speakers. I may very well like the Onix, I don't know, I've never heard them.

Lastly the speaker switcher is simply a matter of convienience, and any added "noise" would be heard equally by both speakers. Do you have a better suggestion for A/B listening?

My offer was in no way a "challenge", it was simply an offer to hear two speakers side-by-side.

Damn...talk about a lack of manners...

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Quote:
...Mad Dog, help me out here, but I don't think you and I have ever been in contact before for demoing anything have we?
spiffnme,

i honestly don't know if we've ever been in contact before regarding demo'ing....extended LOTS of folks invitations to audition stuff...some reply and show up...some reply and don't follow up....some don't reply...not sure why they contact me in the first place in the case of those who contact me and never follow up or reply...who knows...

Quote:
"Not up to snuff??" Since when is $3100 of Rotel gear not "up to snuff" to playback a pair of Onix Ref 1's? Give me a break...PLEASE!
come on over and hear music thru a tube preamp and you might change your mind...maybe so and maybe not...the sound of tubes was enough to make me sell off 2 solid state preamps-one that was pretty good and the other was very good. i used to think, "how much better can a system sound?" then i found out...:)

and even my system is not up to snuff in comparison to someone who has a $20K Forsell CDP feeding some high end solid state preamp running into Jadis or Cary Monoblock tube amps driving Wilson Grand Slams! so it's all relative...btw, this set up sounded AMAZING!!! :)

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
First off, Sa-dono, my offer was to anyone who was interested, no one person in particular.
So do you deny saying the following, when MD was the only one at the time with the Ref 1's?

Quote:
Here's an offer for you.
Quote:

Secondly, perhaps you're getting me confused with someone else? Mad Dog, help me out here, but I don't think you and I have ever been in contact before for demoing anything have we?
Yes..this was my mistake (I thought you were someone else for a second)..and I apologize for that. I do believe MD has publically offered for you to audition some of his speakers in the past though.

Quote:

You'll note I said in comparison to what is available. If given unlimited money, you would still buy the Rotel gear, good for you.

Quote:

Lastly the speaker switcher is simply a matter of convienience, and any added "noise" would be heard equally by both speakers. Do you have a better suggestion for A/B listening?
Just switching the speaker cables and adjusting the volume very quickly. I'm sure I'll get complaints about audio memory being too short though...

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Hey, Sa-dono, please be nice to your colleagues, would you? You are the one who made a completely unilateral mistake, and start attacking spiffnme out of the blue who was simply offering a home audition. No more, no less. He wasn't forcing anybody to do anything. You were absolutely in no position to start negatively commenting on spiffnme's equipment etc, either.

I see that this thread has quickly been degraded down to the "closeable" level. :(

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.