Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,

It's like the contest of the unauditionables. I personally have heard the ascends and reference 1's but never the salks. I know the disctint differences in the sounds of the first two but not the salks. Can anyone describe how they would relate? I'm sure it's fabulous, all the three I've mentioned are. Just what 'type' of sound is it? I've been looking all over forums and reviews to see, but no luck.

If I were to describe the references it would be 'liquid' sound.

The ascends have more of a 'flat' but dynamic sound.

The salks? no idea.

One thing I do know is they all are very subject to placement and the listener position. I know this from experience from the first two, and have no idea about the salks (never heard a ribbon tweeter).

Seth

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
All I know is that they are in 3 different price ranges for sure.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ha!,

I'm only comparing bookshelves since ascend and salk only sell those.

It's reference 1 or 1.5 or 100 (same basically....) which are ~$1500 a pair. But frequently less than $900 used.

Then salk (which has no used market) is around $1399 a pair. So those two really compete in the same market. (salk being a tad cheaper).

Then the ascends are $600 a pair.

The test is really the salk v. the reference with ascend thrown in for fun.

As I own both onix reference and ascend speakers I know how they compare, but I can't audition salks.

Seth

·
Registered
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwas
Ha!,

I'm only comparing bookshelves since ascend and salk only sell those
Err, when was the last time you looked at the Salk website? I wouldn't exactly call the Veracity HT3 a bookshelf speaker... I have no idea how they sound either, though hopefully I'll get to audition a pair in a month or so.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Seth - I'm afraid you're a little low on the price of the Salk HT1 bookshelf. This is taken directly from Salk's website:

HT1 pricing starts at $2199.00 per pair, finished in a standard veneer with a black satin lacquer front baffle.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Seth,

You are obviously talking about the HTS speakers and not the Veracity HT1, correct?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have a pair of the Salk HT1s. I'd actually call them extremely neutral. The ribbon tweeter is amazing with its ability to disappear into a room. All you hear is the music. Also, very sensitve to souce material (garbage in gargage out) as they magnify problems in recordings. Need a good powererful amp to drive these. Not the most efficient speakers. The cabinet work alone makes them worth a look in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm,

That sounds like the ascend 'sound'. But yes I'm talking about the HTS.

Seth

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
The HT1 is voiced differently than the Ascend as Dennis Murphy who designed the crossover for the HT1 also spent an extended time listening to the Ascend. I have both speakers and the main thing seems to me to be a little more clarity and dynamic range for the HT1 although they are both excellent speakers IMO. I have not heard the HTS.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting,

Good to know that the salk is a much prettier and higher end version of the ascends. For people who don't want the plain black finish anyway.

But that's the HT1 and that's a different budget class.

Seth

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
hi seth,

we have the salk HTS series for our front soundstage.

the sound is neutral, with a transparent midrange and a liquid, extended high end (ribbon tweeters).

i haven't heard the onix or the ascends.

you usually get what you pay for.

the salk difference is that they are custom made with world class components and drivers.

you can tell from his website that jim salk is a master craftsman.

jim is great to work with and offers a $ back guaranty (all you pay is shipping).

see my review of the HTS at audioreview.com.

best,

eric

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes,

I've read the review and have no doubt that it's a high end piece. I was just curious how it compared to the reference 1's as they are similar in price, but different in design. It's a shame I can't audition the salks with my reference 1's to see where my preference lies.

Seth

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I figured not to start another thread, but has anyone demo'd the tyler freedom's vs. the onix (rocket or reference) speakers. They seem to have the same drivers (not exactly) and are of similar price (well b-stock anyway)

Seth

·
Registered
398 Posts
get you some Taylo reference monitors with Tyler Acoustics 30 day trial period. They are on sale now for $1600 or the ones at the link for $1250. I I believe Ty will give you the trial period even on the trade-ins. A lot of people buy one model in his line and they end up wanting the more expensive models. He takes them back for free within the year and applies the money towards the bigger speakers.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....oni&1129470886

http://www.tyleracoustics.com/taylo.html

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun_Mike
get you some Taylo reference monitors with Tyler Acoustics 30 day trial period. They are on sale now for $1600.

http://www.tyleracoustics.com/taylo.html

$1825 actually.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex-amp
$1825 actually.
Geesh Tex..... I HATE it when you're WRONG. :D

August SPECIALS

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah,

I was looking at the freedom line anyway as they are the only pair for under $1k.

See, I have the reference 1's and the ascend 340's now and its a difficult split between the two. The reference have more bass when alone, but I don't care since I run with a sub. The ascend have more detail at the expense of sounding somewhat sharp compared to the really mellow references. Then the references have a nicer finish. The soundstage of both is great and more limited by my room than any characteristic of the speaker which is why I'm limiting myself to $6-700 per pair. (extra money will be lost in the poor listening environment).

So if the tylers are somewhat in between (and come in a finish which I prefer over both speakers) I won't have to keep my ascends and re-veneer them :)

I'm not getting rid of the reference's anyway since my parents use them in their bedroom (the finish is close to their funiture, but not quite (walnut v. the rosewood).

I love the reference 1.5 concept. A bookshelf that doesn't need a stand. Perfect for HT.

I feel that if I listened to mainly music I'd forgo the ascends and stick with the smoother onix. But since I hardly ever listen to music and mainly do movies, the extra snap that the ascends have makes for better effects.

However the key is really the dialogue in the ascends v. the onix, especially with poor material (such as cable/satellite) and the onix with the smoothness I think wins out here just because it 'masks' the crap which the ascends do not.

But I don't have a reference center.

Either way personal testing (vs. online discussion) will wait until my listening room is finished because what may sound good/bad now may switch when the furniture changes.

So for those who have heard the onix and tyler speakers back to back, you can chime in.

Seth

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadriverfalls
Geesh Tex..... I HATE it when you're WRONG. :D

August SPECIALS

You need to fix your link. I just clicked on his link and it shows $1825. But thanks for the love.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwas
Either way personal testing (vs. online discussion) will wait until my listening room is finished because what may sound good/bad now may switch when the furniture changes.

Seth
What are you doing with your room?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.