Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to jump from 5.1 to 7.1

I have read all I can find about sub $1k rcvrs. These are the two I am considering (unless someone convinces me otherwise)

I will be running either with a Acurus Amp, bi-amping the cc and an Adcom bi-amping the L & R. I also have three powered subs. Finally, my speakers are all in fixed positions

Now, which to chose and why?

Thx a ton guys

·
Registered
733 Posts
Buy the 45TX. Why? Because I did!

Just kidding. I had the same choice to make, and chose the 45TX, mainly for the "Auto-MCCAC" and build quality. Of course, it didn't hurt that I got it for a bit less than $900, shipped, from an authorized Pioneer dealer (in Utah). Actually, it's in transit as we speak. Per UPS, I should get it next Tuesday...

·
Registered
622 Posts
gonna be tough weekend wait, eh lolittle? :)

I'd also get the 45TX if I had to choose between the two. Only line of Onkyo I've ever liked was the Integra line.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am sure that I would be happy with either, but....

Looking for beni's one vs. the other with fixed speaker placement and the use of external amps. Not to mention the basics.

i.e. will one allow a more detailed set up of the front speakers? Will one utilize the unused amplification (of the cc, l &r) in the surround channels better then the other? What about cable connects...Onk have issues with spades?

·
Registered
733 Posts
"I will be running either with a Acurus Amp, bi-amping the cc and an Adcom bi-amping the L & R."

"Will one utilize the unused amplification (of the cc, l &r) in the surround channels better then the other?"

Most people don't recommend bi-amping with dissimilar amps. Are you talking about using the AVR as a pre-pro for the front three channels? If so, it sounds like we have some things in common. I'll be using a Bryston 4B ST to power my mains (N804s). Later this year, I want to procure a Bryston PowerPac 250 to power my center (Nautilus HTM1).

"I also have three powered subs."

I use twin SVS 16-46PC+s and a Rel Strata III, 16-46PC+s for HT, Strata III for 2 channel.

"Finally, my speakers are all in fixed positions"

What do you mean by "fixed positions"?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have it right...the rcvr will only be a pre-pro for the front three

I am running the cc out to the acurus, via a y and using the acurus to bi-amp the cc. Same deal with the l&r...four channels to bi-amp each speaker.

I built a false wall to house the speakers, equip, subs and tvs. Thus, they cannot be moved. So I am interested in a rcvr that will be able to tweek each of the front (and ss too) speakers indivicually, since I cannot move them around

·
Registered
733 Posts
"I built a false wall to house the speakers, equip, subs and tvs. Thus, they cannot be moved. So I am interested in a rcvr that will be able to tweek each of the front (and ss too) speakers indivicually, since I cannot move them around"

That being the case, I'd still choose the 45TX, or maybe a Sony STR-DA4ES...

·
Registered
733 Posts
On the other hand, the Auto-MCCAC might keep you from having to tweak at all...

·
Registered
622 Posts
that onkyo 800 review says it weighs 42lbs, but onkyo's website says 36lbs. hmm, wonder where those 6lbs went :) I like a hefty receiver

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
atkins?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.