AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the Paradigm thread, but thought it might be wise to aks this over here also. I found a listing for some old Paradigm studio 100 v1's and I would like to know if I should really be thinking about getting an external amp for these. I see that that they are nominal 6 ohm but a minimal of 3 ohms in the 90hz region. Considering that amount of material in this range, would it not be wise to run these on my current AVR or should I really be looking into an external amp? It is an Onkyo TX-NR1008. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

It really comes down to how the Speakers sound with the 1008 and where you have chosen to set your Crossover. I owned Studio 100 V.2's for around 6 Years and always did use external amplification. However, I was using them for both Mains and Surround.

These days I am using MartinLogan Vantages (Mains), Stage (CC), Vista (Surrounds), Descent i (Subwoofer 1), and Depth (Subwoofer 2) with an Onkyo TX-NR3008. I am using an Aragon 8008bb for the Vantages and a Parasound HCA-2205AT for the Stage and Vistas. Even though XT32 set all of my Speakers to 40hz or lower, I raised it to 80hz as often the best placement for Electrostatic Speakers is not the best place for Bass and I am quite fond of my Subwoofers.

Even when using the Studio 100's, I crossed over to 80hz, but also did use the Multichannel Analog quite often for SACD/DVD-A where the 100's were run Full Range. An Amplifier really might give your Speakers some added punch. Without knowing the rest of your Speakers and or if you are using a Subwoofer, it is hard to know just how much is being tasked to your AVR.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork /forum/post/20798557

Hello,

It really comes down to how the Speakers sound with the 1008 and where you have chosen to set your Crossover. I owned Studio 100 V.2's for around 6 Years and always did use external amplification. However, I was using them for both Mains and Surround.

These days I am using MartinLogan Vantages (Mains), Stage (CC), Vista (Surrounds), Descent i (Subwoofer 1), and Depth (Subwoofer 2) with an Onkyo TX-NR3008. I am using an Aragon 8008bb for the Vantages and a Parasound HCA-2205AT for the Stage and Vistas. Even though XT32 set all of my Speakers to 40hz or lower, I raised it to 80hz as often the best placement for Electrostatic Speakers is not the best place for Bass and I am quite fond of my Subwoofers.

Even when using the Studio 100's, I crossed over to 80hz, but also did use the Multichannel Analog quite often for SACD/DVD-A where the 100's were run Full Range. An Amplifier really might give your Speakers some added punch. Without knowing the rest of your Speakers and or if you are using a Subwoofer, it is hard to know just how much is being tasked to your AVR.

Cheers,

AD

Thanks for the reply. For now the rest of the speakers would be the one in my sig; Polk M30's height and wides and M40's for surrounds. I think at this point I would have to go phantom on the center as I am not sure what center goes with the Studio 100 V1's and even at that I heard the Studio V1 center channels were not the best. I would defanitely be crossing over at 80Hz and letting my sub handle the LF. Down the road I would like to add an amp at some point, but that may not be for at least a year.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

The Studio CC is the Center Channel you need for the Studio 100's or at least was the matching CC. I would definitely not recommend going without one unless you are using a really narrow Room. And even still do not think it to be ideal. The Center Channel is truly a lynchpin in HT and is is where most the Dialogue is normally centered in addition to Panning Effects, etc...

Even if you cannot find an old Studio CC, I would look at any of Paradigm's better CC's and get the best one you could possibly afford. In truth, I do not remember ever reading of someone rnning Height and Width Channels aend not a Center Channel. I suppose whatever works, but you might want to at least Audition a CC.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork /forum/post/20798779

Hello,

The Studio CC is the Center Channel you need for the Studio 100's or at least was the matching CC. I would definitely not recommend going without one unless you are using a really narrow Room. And even still do not think it to be ideal. The Center Channel is truly a lynchpin in HT and is is where most the Dialogue is normally centered in addition to Panning Effects, etc...

Even if you cannot find an old Studio CC, I would look at any of Paradigm's better CC's and get the best one you could possibly afford. In truth, I do not remember ever reading of someone rnning Height and Width Channels aend not a Center Channel. I suppose whatever works, but you might want to at least Audition a CC.

Cheers,

AD

I think you may have misunderstood me. My application is for movies and I really do not want go without a center channel, as you said there is way to much info from movies that come from that speaker not to be having it. My only issue is finding one, and to make it more difficult since I heard the V1's CC has some kind of tweeter issue seeing if a newer version will still be timbre matched. I was just telling you my other speakers so you knew everything that was being run from the AVR.

If I was doing 2CH music listening I would jump all over these, but since my useage is ~ 80% movies/TV/games and 20% music finding a center channel would be a top priority for me. I would hate to buy these and not be able to find a good matching center channel. I really do not have the room under my TV for another tower, but a bookshelf speaker may work if rework the riser I am using for my current center.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro /forum/post/20798858

I think you may have misunderstood me. My application is for movies and I really do not want go without a center channel, as you said there is way to much info from movies that come from that speaker not to be having it. My only issue is finding one, and to make it more difficult since I heard the V1's CC has some kind of tweeter issue seeing if a newer version will still be timbre matched. I was just telling you my other speakers so you knew everything that was being run from the AVR.

If I was doing 2CH music listening I would jump all over these, but since my useage is ~ 80% movies/TV/games and 20% music finding a center channel would be a top priority for me. I would hate to buy these and not be able to find a good matching center channel. I really do not have the room under my TV for another tower, but a bookshelf speaker may work if rework the riser I am using for my current center.

Hello,

The thing with Center Channels and large Tower Speakers is that the CC will never really be a true Timbre Match. It is advantageous to have identical Tweeters like you would in the Studio CC, but I would think that a newer Paradigm CC that is much larger and uses a similar Tweeter would do quite well.

So you are simply contemplating purchasing the Studio 100's? If possible, I would look for the V2's which to this day remain my favorites of the Studio Series. I have a close friend who is a Paradigm Salesmen and he still is using his V2 Studio 100's (Front and Surround), Studio CC, Studio ADP's (Surround Backs) with Dual Servo 15's along with the latest Anthem Processor and top of the line Anthem Amplifiers and it sounds magnificent.

After hearing his setup this time in a dedicated Theater Room, I kinda had sellers remorse for selling my V2 HT when I switched to an all ESL HT. The V3's weighed a decent bit less than the V2's. I think the V1's weighed about the same as the V2's, but the V2's used upgraded Drivers and more Cabinet Bracing if memory serves. It has been many years since I have thought about early Paradigm Studio's. So if a bit off about the V1's, mea culpa. I am 98% about the V3 Studio 100's losing about 20 Pounds compared to the V2's.

All I know is that the 100 V2's weigh more when equipped with the Hardwood Sidepanels than the Flagship Signature S8's. My friend actually has a pair of these as well being used in a 2 Channel Setup and the Beryllium Tweeter in the S8 is sublime.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork /forum/post/20798935

Hello,

The thing with Center Channels and large Tower Speakers is that the CC will never really be a true Timbre Match. It is advantageous to have identical Tweeters like you would in the Studio CC, but I would think that a newer Paradigm CC that is much larger and uses a similar Tweeter would do quite well.

So you are simply contemplating purchasing the Studio 100's? If possible, I would look for the V2's which to this day remain my favorites of the Studio Series. I have a close friend who is a Paradigm Salesmen and he still is using his V2 Studio 100's (Front and Surround), Studio CC, Studio ADP's (Surround Backs) with Dual Servo 15's along with the latest Anthem Processor and top of the line Anthem Amplifiers and it sounds magnificent.

After hearing his setup this time in a dedicated Theater Room, I kinda had sellers remorse for selling my V2 HT when I switched to an all ESL HT. The V3's weighed a decent bit less than the V2's. I think the V1's weighed about the same as the V2's, but the V2's used upgraded Drivers and more Cabinet Bracing if memory serves. It has been many years since I have thought about early Paradigm Studio's. So if a bit off about the V1's, mea culpa. I am 98% about the V3 Studio 100's losing about 20 Pounds compared to the V2's.

All I know is that the 100 V2's weigh more when equipped with the Hardwood Sidepanels than the Flagship Signature S8's. My friend actually has a pair of these as well being used in a 2 Channel Setup and the Beryllium Tweeter in the S8 is sublime.

Cheers,

AD

Yeah, at this point in time just contemplating. I just happened to look around Craigslist and saw the listing and it sparked a bit of interest. I am not familiar with these speakers at all that is why I am trying to get as much ino as possible. I figured they were listed for $700 and thought if I could get him down to around $550-600 it would be a good deal. I will have to look into finding some V2's. Thanks for all of the insight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts