AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All:

may i ask if the current Onkyo brand new AVRs, i.e. the 929 Onkyo, and similar, more reliable? as you will see below, this is my 2nd Onkyo which died. my Bedroom system's previous Onkyo AVR died last year. Now, my Living Room system's Onkyo 3008 AVR just died!

my Living Room system's Onkyo 3008 (new, not refurb), purchased around 2 1/2 years ago from an authorized dealer, just broke: its "Network" icon/LED no longer shows up when i try to use Pandora. this effectively rendered my entire Living Room/Kitchen system useless: no Pandora, no projector, no DVD, no Netflix. Kindly note please that i do NOT hear the solenoid clicking to turn on the power amplifiers in my 3008 anymore either: that is, after initial turn on, all the various "active speakers' icon LEDs" on the left side of the display are no longer showing up, indicating that the solenoid turning on the power amps are indeed not turning on the power amplification, in addition to the Network not being connected to the 3008 -- so i see this as TWO issues happening together. Picture of the front panel LEDs is attached below.

This appears to me as NOT being the same as the fried HDMI board like i had with my 807 (Bedroom system AVR) which i had last year, and which appears to be rather common as it is well documented by many in various threads.

Kindly note please that my 3008 is controlled by a Crestron remote as installed by my audio/visual installer.

i looked at Onkyo USA's website and found that the new Models 929, 1010 and 3010:

while the 3010 would initially seem like (by virtue of its numbering system) the natural replacement of my 3008, it doesn't seem so, actually. While the 3010 and the 3008 are both 9.2, and the 1010 being 7.2 only, i'm using my 3008 for "5.1 + Front High Left and Front High Right" only, effectively, that is merely 7.1.

May I ask if the 929 or the 1010 is the suitable replacement to my 3008? Both 1010 and 3010 have 140 watt/ ch; almost all specs are identical, while the 3010 has independent transformers. the 929 has 135 watts.

i note in particular the 929 because it has the more sophisticated Audyssey Mult EQ XT 32, which utilizes far more parameters in its room analysis than the lower ended variants of Audyssey.

I'm wondering if the 929 can do Front High Left and Front High Right plus 5.1? this is rather CRITICAL for me, as this is my installed speaker set up in my main room: Living Room.

kindly note that the 3008 is used for 7.1 as in "Front L+R, Center, Rear L+R, Subwoofer, and Front High L+R", i.e. 7.1. While i recognize the "Front Wides before Front Highs" adage, there is no option in my Living Room, so i thought that having Front Highs would be better than not having Front Highs, since i have the ceiling height of 11 Feet.

Thank you very much in advance. Time is of the essence in this instance, as there is zero way to have music or video or tv or any sort in the main space at this point.

I wouldn't know what to do with my 3008 if i do replace it. it would cost money to ship it to Onkyo for fixing it, and what would i do with it if i were to buy the 1010 or the 3010?? Ugh.

not only money down the drain, but a headache as well.

i'm also struggling with whether or not to replace my dead Onkyo 3008 with something new from Onkyo, i.e. the Onkyo 929, which appears to satisfy all my needs (unless i'm mistaken), or, maybe after having 2 broken receivers over the last 2 years, switch to Marantz, or Denon, Sony, or Pioneer? I've thus far concentrated my reading almost entirely to Onkyo, as my Bedroom system is also an Onkyo. my Bedroom system's Onkyo died last year after only 2 years of use, and then i had to buy a refurb in a special exchange situation to replace it.

are the current brand new Onkyo 929 models better? are they more reliable? or, should i expect to replace my Onkyo AVRs every 2 years? this is rather exasperating!

thank you all very much in advance!

·
Registered
108 Posts
My question for you is, why would you want to go with another Onkyo receiver? Havent't you seen all the Onkyo receivers on this forum with problems and even on the Onkyo's support forum. That is what drove me to getting another receiver..

I had a 3007 that went tits up with the no audio and no on screen set up menu. I bought December 2009 and it made almost 4 years. One thing I want mention is that I had my receiver hooked up to a Panamax power conditioner, so my Onkyo was protected. So I feel it was some other problem that caused my unit to fail.

Save your money and do some more research to make sure you get your money's worth.

So far I am loving my Pioneer Elite SC-75, it is so much easier to setup than my old 3007.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Your problems in the 3008 are all related. Its the HDMI board that is causing all these issues and it is a known fault. I stand under correction , however, as far as I know Onkyo USA is doing a free repair for that problem even if out of warrenty. Check there is a thread here covering the Onkyo Receiver failures.

·
Registered
638 Posts
For what it's worth, I have an Onkyo bedroom receiver and recently replaced my Integra DTC9.8 pre-pro with the TX-NR929. I will say both of the older units run very hot. With that said I would consider both of them excellent products for the price.

I still have the 9.8 in an other room and it made a huge difference in that system. BUT again I must stress the 9.8 without amps is running 35 degrees hotter than my 929. Without specifics Onkyo was trying to convince me they fixed the HDMI board problem. I'm convinced they did. Although my system sounds considerably better with the 929, I've also added heights and wides. But the Audyssey XT32 has flattened and tightened the bass in noticeable audible ways.

Large corporations often have problems with some of their products. As consumers we get to rate them on how well they handle these problems. So far I would give Onkyo a so so rating. The HDMI board issue should have been handled better. I think my timing with the 929 worked out well for me. But there are several posters here that are now Onkyo haters, probably for ever.

So use due diligence and as always, buyer beware.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts