AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing my research on these that LOTS of reading of threads.

First my original plan was to get an Emotiva UMC or XMC and amps from them also. Well with how the launch of the UMC has been going and the bugs they have I am starting to look in different directions. With the price of the 5007 and 80.1 I can't afford to get amps at the same time so seperates would have to wait, so I have some questions.

1) I know the the Onkyo and Integra pre's are the same internals from one to the other. Are the amp sections the same also on the recievers?

2) Do they have the exact same version of Audyssey other then the 80.1 has the pro option?

3) How do the internal amps stack up to something like a XPA-5 from Emotiva?

This will be for dedicated theater. Components will he a HTPC, Dish Net Box, X-Box 360 and thats about it. The HTPC takes care of DVD and BluRay, might use the net work music streaming the the HTPC does this also. It will be a 7.1 system with primary concern to surrond sound. The wife and duaghter will listen to musicc from time to time but it is 90% downloaded MP3's so nothing high quality at all. Given that is Audyssey Pro even worth it? I hate paying extra to use a feature that is built into a unit.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'm in a similar situation. I'm looking at the DTR-70. From what my buddy was telling me the caps are better in the Integra. Plus the Integra comes with a 3 year warrenty vs a 2 year. Also.. Its like getting a Lexus over a decked out Toyota. My be the same but its still not a lexus
. I hear the Audsy is well worth it. I should have mine next week, & I'll let you know.

-Alan

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
I don't know of any AVR that has a stout enough amp section to compare favorably to the XPA-5 with 200wpc at 8ohms and over 300wpc into 4ohms.

If you were interested in the UMC-1 plus an amp why not take a look at the Integra DHC 40.1? Couple that with an Emotiva UPA-5 or UPA-7 and you'll come in under $2k. I have the DHC 40.1/UPA-7 and love it. Even the UPA amps will keep pace or outperform all but the best AVRs. Plenty of power and the 40.1 is nearly bug free. The only issue I've had in using it for 3 months now is it changes internet radio stations on me if it loses the signal for more than a few seconds - it changes to the next station in line. This is more a fault of my internet service dropping service momentarily than the unit itself - but annoying none the less. I have fiber optic service.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was never really going to get a UMC, I really wanted the XMC, but who knows when that will be. If I am going to spend the cash I would rather get the 80 and try out the height channels to see what it is like once.

I know that the AVR will never really keep up to a XPA, but I figure I could live with for a year and then have money for amps. Either way it should be better then the Yamaha V2400 I have now.

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder /forum/post/18299606

Thanks for the reply, I did read through that thread once also.

Is the differnce from the 70 to the 80 just the power out put? Be nice if Intagra had a comparison list.

You can compare them side by side by opening two window tabs - for the 80 click here - for the 70 click here . FWIW the only differences I could see is the lower wattage for the 70 and a few less connections such as USB - the 80 has a USB on the front panel. I don't know what the $ difference is but it would seem the 70 is a better deal unless the $s are less than $100.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts