AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Onkyo 504 manual states the "crossover frequency setting only applies to the speakers that you specified as Small". This means it does not apply to the subwoofer sometimes?

I am presuming they really mean the setting applies to the front spkrs only if the front spkrs are set to Small. But it always applies to the subwoofer.

Or am I missing something here?

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Yes you are correct. What they were trying to say, is that of the *main* channels, the crossover applies to every one that is set to small. It is taken for granted that the low-pass part of a crossover needs to be applied to the sub.

Ed

·
Registered
30,819 Posts
Yes but.... Applying it to the sub affects only the signals crossed over from the main speakers, not the LFE. Often there is a separate crossover for that and it should be set at 120Hz or so.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/0

Yes but.... Applying it to the sub affects only the signals crossed over from the main speakers, not the LFE. Often there is a separate crossover for that and it should be set at 120Hz or so.

Could you please explain this a bit more? So the sub gets signals from both the main spkrs and the LFE channel? I never really thought about that. But there is the LFE channel and also setting the main spkrs to Small has to direct whatever low freq info they are not getting to the sub.

This particular Onkyo receiver only has one crossover freq setting. So if I set the main spkrs to Large, they will get the whole freq spectrum. And the sub will get only what was intended from the LFE channel. But in this case the crossover setting would have to be affecting the LFE channel only.

Since the LFE channel is supposed to be a discrete channel, makes me think you would not want to subject it to any crossover setting. IOW, the crossover could be cutting off part of the upper LFE frequencies and this signal information may not even exist on any other channel. Or does it?

Is there a DD5.1 freq response spec for the LFE channel?

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.