AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone owned or used both? Thinking I might return my 816 and get the refurbed 504, to save close to $100.

Will there be an audible diff between Onkyo's 75W and Pio's 110W?

Are there better connection options on the Pio that would make me stay?

Any other differences that you know of (beside MCACC, and I didn't care for the settings it came up with).

· Registered
6,468 Posts
I've used both and prefer the sound of the 504. Is there a big difference in SQ "NO". But as with any receiver from different companies they will have different sound characteristics and that's preference. For the price both are good receivers. Connection options are about the same. You get more user tweaks with the 816 like Speaker EQ, OSD for the setup menu, Auto Setup and a nicer preprogrammed remote but for bang for the buck and sq the 504 is a better deal imo.

· Registered
308 Posts
I find myself asking the same question as my Sony receiver started smoking when I turned it on yesterday, it was about 10 years old. Not a receiver for my HT but I use it with an Energy 5.1 take 5 system and I have the MX700 remote (so the Pioneer better remote isn't an issue for me).

I'm going off to CC as soon as my youngest wakes up and getting the Onkyo but the Pioneer was pretty tempting given the higher wattage rating and extra Coax input.

However, I'm hard pressed to find any comments on the Onkyo that aren't good and everyone is saying how it sounds better plus for some reason I like the idea of the Onkyo better.

· Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 /forum/post/0

I've used both and prefer the sound of the 504. Is there a big difference in SQ "NO". But as with any receiver from different companies they will have different sound characteristics and that's preference. For the price both are good receivers. Connection options are about the same. You get more user tweaks with the 816 like Speaker EQ, OSD for the setup menu, Auto Setup and a nicer preprogrammed remote but for bang for the buck and sq the 504 is a better deal imo.

But the Pio remote does not have the codes for my Sammy DLP. I doubt the Onkyo does either though. Neither are "learning" remotes.

I've heard the Onkyo gets much hotter than the Pio.

· Registered
217 Posts
I've had the Pioneer VSX-816 for about a month and exchanged it for the Onkyo TX-SR504 just this past week. My reasons:

The Pioneer wasn't bad, but for my small satellites (Polk RM6750s) the 816 made them sound tinny and not spacious enough for movies. Music, especially for my iPod, it sounded great, no complaints. I returned the Pioneer because I had issues right off the bat when using my component dvd player going in to it and then having no video to my tv. I read, rechecked and asked Pioneer themselves about why I can't get any video and no results so I had to connect it directly to my tv. Sure the 816 had more features but it's the sound quality that drove me to Onkyo.

First night I hook up the 504 and immediately the sound image from movies and music was a definite improvement. I like the warm, full sound compared to the brighter tones from the 816, but that's how I like my setup to be. I tested out certain scenes my favorite action movies and little ambient sounds from the left and right speaker were louder, clearer and more enveloping. I used both an SPL meter on both receivers so the auto setup feature of the 816 was nice, but it's not difficult not having the onscreen menu from the Onkyo. The remote on the Onkyo is much nicer and refined having less buttons than the tic tac sized 60+ buttons on the 816.

Another reason I knew this was the entry level receiver for me: it took my component input dvd player and had no problems using component out to my tv. Overall the 504 sounded better, was easier to hook up and even though it's rated lower in watts than the 816, it doesn't sound that way to me. Plus in my opinion, the 816 looked cheap compared to the 504.

Oh yeah, about the heat issue, doesn't bother me and have had no issues (yet) about the sound dropping off for no reason. Just make sure it has adequate ventilation and it'll be fine.

· Registered
6,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan /forum/post/0

But the Pio remote does not have the codes for my Sammy DLP. I doubt the Onkyo does either though. Neither are "learning" remotes.

I've heard the Onkyo gets much hotter than the Pio.

Don't know about the Sammy DLP but the Pio remote had all of my codes and I doubt you'll find a learning remote included with a receiver at this price range. You can always get a all4one learning remote, I got mine for $16 on amazon.

Onkyos do get warm, seems to be a trademark they are noted for, I haven't had any problems due to it though, just make sure it gets proper airflow, but that goes for any analog receiver.

Both these recevers are good choices at the price point as stated above I prefer the Onkyo sound, but the next person or 10 people may not, it's preference. Considering you can get them for $159 includeing shipping with waranty from shoponkyo.com imo it's the best bang for buck receiver out there.

· Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does the Onkyo have 7 separate amp channels? I think the 816 does. I was perusing the Onkyo website and I can't readily tell - seems like it may use 1 channel split for the back surrounds (although I only have 5.1 speakers) - just wondering.

I'll probably go to CC to check out the Onkyo, and if I like it I'll order the refurb.

2 questions for you 504 owners:

1) what color is the front accent lighting?

2) do the refurbs include prior damaged ones, or are they just open box returns that are checked for operation then sold?

Thanks

· Registered
308 Posts
I just couldn't bring myself to buy online again after an incident with my 46" Sammy DLP that I got from a place in NY...I will NEVER buy a TV or Receiver online ever again.

Anyway, when I got to CC they had both the Onkyo and Pioneer available on a table in the front of the store as a floor model. I ended up taking the Onkyo home for $30 less than one in the box and got the 5 year extended warranty for $32.

Everything hooked up nicely, sure it runs warm but not as hot as my Sony did (before it started to smoke
).

The only complaint I have which does bother me is that when I learned the volume up and down IR code to my MX-700 remote I can't hold the button down and have the code sent instead I have to keep pressing the button to make it move up or down one value. The remote that came with the receiver doesn't work like that. Probably not a huge deal (or at least that's what my wife says) but it is a pita.

· Registered
434 Posts
For those with the hot running Onkyo what wire gauge are you running?

I noticed on mine (500...not 504) that using 16 gauge wire vs. 22 gauge (came with the HTiB) made it run cooler. I no longer have a hot plate in my living room.

· Registered
161 Posts
Bought the Onkyo 504 and kept it hooked up for two days, it's now on it's way back to the dealer and I replaced it with the Pioneer. I honestly don't even think it's close when you compare feature for feature, the Pioneer wins hands down!!! Sound quality wise they both sound fine but once again the Pioneer has more adjustment controls. Pricewise their about the same feature wise the Onkyo takes a back seat to the Pioneer easilly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.