AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local HHGregg has the 5200 for what seems like a pretty good price. I figure if I can hagle I can get it for under $400. I would like to eventually get a bluray but for now I have a plain old dvd/vhs combo with a component hook up and if I can get a system that will upgrade it, I think that would be great.

I don't think that the 5200 does that. In addition I am not sure if I need one hdmi cable and a optical cable to run my dvds or not.

I guess I think I know the answer on if I want this or if I should pass on it, but is the price to good to pass on?

Thanks very much for your time and comments.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
the receiver in the S5200 set does not process audio over the HDMI cable...video only. You would still have to use a Toslink optical or digital coax cable to get audio to the receiver. The S6100/S6200 is the first set in the Onkyo line to process audio over HDMI.

All that said, considering the speakers included in the system, I'm not sure you would hear the difference between DD5.1 over optical cable and DD-HD over HDMI from the blu-ray player. On a modest system, DD5.1 will still sound very good

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.