AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can get the Onkyo 601 for about $15 more than the Panny. I am going to be using a projector and want everything to be hooked up to the receiver with just a component cable to the projector from the receiver. Would the Onkyo be the best choice?

· Registered
621 Posts
I dont really understand the infatuation around the small digital amps. They're not that good, actually they have many problems with the sound quality and cant really compete with the oldfashioned analog amps. I would hands down take the SR601 over XR50.

· Registered
915 Posts
That's crazy!

I compared the Panny with a Yamaha HTR-5590, Pioneer Elite VSX-41 and also tried a HK230 and Onky 601. I thought the Panny had the best sound. It does not have the feature set of a few of the others but equal power, better detail, clarity, and a wife appealing design.

I have had ZERO problems with my XR50. I run JBL speakers all the way around and it pushes them far louder than I care to listen.

The 601 is a good receiver as well.

Brian, I think the 50 is the best value for performance option but try to audition them both if you are able. Your ears are the final judge.

· Registered
7,482 Posts
Low cost analog recievers almost universally have weak transformers. This leads to weak power and inconsistent low wattage when driving multiple channels. This is the largest problem with cheap analog recievers.

Digital recievers no longer have this issue, they (at least theoretically) put out consistent wattage to all channels, without a wimpy transformer providing a bottleneck.

· Registered
560 Posts
The Panasonic digital receivers do not have feedback. So they might have some problems with certain speakers that are difficult load (low dips in impedence at certain frequencies). If you are using reasonably efficient and stable impedence speakers (unlike DynAudio) then the Panasonic will beat the pants off any analog receiver upto $1k -$1.5K driven by equally pricey cd players/interconnects.

· Registered
1,280 Posts
I agree with DBryant and SoftwireEngineer,

My "other" old AVR is a Denon 1602. Home demos of Arcam AVR300, Denon 3805 and Panasonic XR45 and i ended up "upgrading..... or is that downgrading haha" to the XR45.

It WAS the one that made me sit up and go WOW!!! No A/B switching/unpluging (as with the "conventional" AVR's") to pickup the improvments..........it was blantently obvious.

Go the panny.... just keep in mind what softwire said.

I've tested my Panny on Quad 12L's, and Quad 22L's and it works fine on both.

· Registered
941 Posts
I'm in the analog camp.

The XR45 sounded decent, but not spectacular, when I tested it in my 2-channel rig, with speakers not particularly insensitive (89 db).

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the XR-45 higher end and a better choice than the XR-50? Think the XR-45 has OSD and I have no problems with the Panasonics as long as they handle video as well as the Onkyo. I don't even have a receiver and am setting up my home theater so I'm kind of looking for a balance of good sound and ease of use which is why I want to route everything thru the receiver. Only other thing I looked at was the Kenwood 7100 but from most of the posts I have read the XR-50 seems to be just as good a unit. Very difficult to figure out what to buy when your a rookie so I appreciate all the input here.

· Registered
1,538 Posts
After finally getting sound from my Xr50. I am very impressed with the sound/ performance of the Xr50.

Units I have owned/tested before getting the Xr50 is:

Denon 1705

H/K Avr125

Onkyo 502

Yamaha 5730

Denon 485

Elite x41 (Pioneer)

And truely the Xr50 is damn nice. Put it this way. Volume all the way turned down is at 70. I can just crank it to 60 and hear it. Does not take much to push. Very crisp and I really like it. But out of the receivers I tested above. I like the HK the most. But I feel that my new xr50 is the new bad a$$ on the block. For 225.00, This Xr50 is the best invested receiver I have yet to own. Hands Down!!

· Registered
915 Posts
Brian,

Not sure where you can get a new XR45. The OSD is only for set-up though. It does not do volume control, etc. but will do speaker set-up. The 50 will handle HDTV video switching. Also, there have been conflicting reports as to whether the 50 is a upgrade of the 25 , 45, or a new model altogether.

Either way you cannot go wrong. These are great receivers and before they came out I would never have considered a Panasonic anything (maybe a projector) in my HT set-up.

I reasoned that as much as I like to upgrade i really can't take much of a loss with these at $225. I would rather put my money into speakers.

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the help. Think you all pushed me to the XR-50, will do a little more research on the XR-45 before deciding and I did find one online which is priced about $75 more than the XR-50 just need to decide if its worth the difference or more importantly does it have features I would use for the difference. Seems the XR-50 will handle my video requirements which along with the sound is important to me. Thx again.

· Registered
1,280 Posts
"apparently" the XR45 is the best..... something to do with more/better power supply components and the "way" it attenuates volume is different from the others... more "pure" or something, adjusts the voltage to amp stage or something.

I have not heard a 50 vs my 45 so can't comment. Id imaging it would not be a "huge" difference, certainly not what is heard when comparing either to a "conventional" type receiver.

As i have a HTPC i don't use ANY video switching and it was not a deciding factor in my choice (such features in the 3805 and Arcam AVR300 where a waste of $$$ i'd wish was spent else where i the units :) )

I don't think they due up converting, though nothing does at that price point.

Pretty sure theres component, svideo etc.

· Registered
859 Posts
...imho, with the Panny you're buying better specs, but with the Onkyo you're buying better sound, and better connectivity.

· Banned
3,181 Posts
the panasonic amplifier puts out a much more "honest" level of power than any other receiver in this price range.....

IMHO...still the best bang for the buck for less than $500....

cheers!

:)

· Registered
1,538 Posts
You will like it.

The only minus of this unit is the sorry spring clips to clip the speakers in the inputs.

Also seems that you can't adjust the db's on the front Left & Right speakers while in DolbyDigital mode. Or is there a way? Anyone?

· Registered
11,757 Posts
I had both the 601 and the Panasonic and while neither ended up staying, If I had to choose Id pick the Onkyo.

I believe that some of us have BIG differences in the volume levels we're looking for that are hard to express on the forum, and I think thats where this whole Panasonic debate takes a wrong turn. This receiver couldnt and wasnt designed to give the spls I was looking for with the amount of drivers and room size I have.

Thats why its so important to try as much as you can. You really have NO IDEA what someone on this board really expects (and what makes them happy) from their gear without meeting them and checking out their room with them at the controls. We all dont approach this hobby in the same way.

Find a way to puchase from a place that lets you return, then find a receiver that makes you happy.

· Banned
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Landroval
I dont really understand the infatuation around the small digital amps. They're not that good, actually they have many problems with the sound quality and cant really compete with the oldfashioned analog amps. I would hands down take the SR601 over XR50.
Some of us are space constrained. Try fitting one of those full-size (6"-7" tall) receivers into a space that is only 3" high. A slim digital receiver is the only type that will fit! :)

· Banned
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Shift
After finally getting sound from my Xr50. I am very impressed with the sound/ performance of the Xr50.
Shift, What did the problem turn out to be with your HD receiver and no sound?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.