AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've got an Onkyo 605 amp and PS3/MGS4 (not the combo, just the game and ps3 separate). When i play the game everything is going well until I hit a cutscene. I can't hear the voices during the cutscenes at all or sometimes VERY faint, nor do I hear Otacon talking through the MK2 or during his cutscene when he calls me. I believe it's a setting in the PS3 but I feel like I've tried everything and nothing works.

My BD audio is set to Bitstream and I used automatic in the sound settings and it ticks just about everything (except AAC). I tried to do some manual adjustments but nothing brings the sound back. What is going on with this? It's very annoying to have to read subtitles in the cutscenes especially since they are like 20 minutes long!

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Have you run the Audessy (sp?) calibration lately? That might help sort things out. I rearranged my room and when I watched a movie last night the center channel was essentially gone. The auto calibration mic cleaned it right up and got me rolling again.

I have an Onkyo HT-SR800, which has a similar (though no audio over HDMI) receiver.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
green chemist,

you're absolutely right, i ran audyssey and the center speaker doesn't register, then i went up to it and sure enough it has no sound coming out of it. ive checked all my speaker cabling and everything is secured, i use banana plugs to go into the amp.

a bit of backstory here, but the amp was just taken in because it kept turning off when i turned it on, to an audio shop that is supported by the warranty. they fixed the issue but apparently caused another with the center speaker.

aside from the possibility of them having messed up the center speaker connection, what else can i do before i take it in again to see if it fixes it?

·
Registered
403 Posts
The last thing I would do would be to hook up another of your known functioning speakers (left or right) to the center channel instead. Then run the calibration again to make sure it is the fault of the receiver and not the speaker. If you get sound after doing this you know that it is your center channel speaker that is bad... and not the receiver.

However, I suspect it is the receiver.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts