AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will this be compatible with blu-ray players? I mean obviously it will connect via HDMI but will I be able to get True-HD out of it? I have been reading that it might get changed to some sort of PCM? But I don't really know too much about the formats and it sort of confused me.


Lastly, does it matter what HDMI cables you have? I have 3 monster 800 series cables that I got pretty cheap on ebay. Will these pass 1.3?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
Yes, this is compatible with Blu-Ray. There are two ways of delivering the new audio codecs (TrueHD and DTS-MA). Option one, the BR or HD DVD player decodes the codec, then sends the audio as multi-channel PCM over an HDMI cable to the receiver, which plays it. This is actually a pretty common scenario, one that the PS3 uses, for example. Option 2, the player sends the audio by bitstream over HDMI to the receiver, the receiver decodes then plays. From all I've heard, the results will be the same. So, it really depends on what your Blu-Ray player can do. The PS3 will decode itself, then send the multi-channel PCM, while, say the Panasonic DMP-BD30AK will send bitstream. With the 605, it doesn't matter, either will give you TrueHD.


Also, the cables don't matter much, either. I think Monster cables are good, but obscenely overpriced. I have $5 HDMI cables from Monoprice.com that work just fine. Remember, 1.3 cables are just certified to handle enough data bandwidth for the 1.3 features, such as 36-bit color, the interface is the same. As long as the bandwidth is there, all the features your gear supports will work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,706 Posts
From reading the BluRay forums it seems the biggest issue people have with the PS3 is that it does not bitstream the audio. A lot of people claim that they do not like the audio from the PS3 for that reason, as opposed to the XA2.


I also am looking for the best B-R player, and when I called the Sony rep today he recommended me to get a E300 for my XBR2 and 605. I really want the PS3-80GB, but I am worried I wont get to utilize the DTS-MA (TruHD) feature our 605 is capable of. Does anyone have a PS3 hooked to their 605 and it outputs DTS-MA??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,564 Posts
If you like to play games, the ps3 seems like a no-brainer. I got a ps3 80gb for Christmas and I love it. I think it makes a great Blu-ray player.


The ps3 will decode and play DTS-MA tracks by extracting what DTS calls the core. They will sound great, better than most regular DTS tracks on SD DVD's, but it's not the same as getting DTS-MA by bitstream.


Here are a couple of recent articles that might influence your decision:

http://www.audioholics.com/news/edit...-war-civil-war
http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-986...?tag=cnetfd.mt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplex /forum/post/13136647


If you like to play games, the ps3 seems like a no-brainer. I got a ps3 80gb for Christmas and I love it. I think it makes a great Blu-ray player.


The ps3 will decode and play DTS-MA tracks by extracting what DTS calls the core. They will sound great, better than most regular DTS tracks on SD DVD's, but it's not the same as getting DTS-MA by bitstream.


Here are a couple of recent articles that might influence your decision:

http://www.audioholics.com/news/edit...-war-civil-war
http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-986...?tag=cnetfd.mt


kplex, those are some powerful articles. That really does make me want to order my PS3 today. I am not a gamer, so it is just for movies and media center.


From those aritcles I gathered that the PS3 will be 2.0 compliant one day; however, i do not know if that answers whether it will be able to produce DTS-MA bitstream.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,564 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstang /forum/post/13136903


kplex, those are some powerful articles. That really does make me want to order my PS3 today. I am not a gamer, so it is just for movies and media center.


From those aritcles I gathered that the PS3 will be 2.0 compliant one day; however, i do not know if that answers whether it will be able to produce DTS-MA bitstream.

No, Profile 2.0 doesn't guarantee you'll be able to decode DTS-MA. I wouldn't count on the ps3 ever being able to bitstream TrueHD or DD+ or DTS-MA. I'm optimistic that it will eventually be able to decode DTS-MA the way it decodes TrueHD, but to the best of my knowledge Sony has not promised this.


Also, if you're not planning on playing games, you really ought to think about the 40GB rather than the 80GB.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplex /forum/post/13136974


No, Profile 2.0 doesn't guarantee you'll be able to decode DTS-MA. I wouldn't count on the ps3 ever being able to bitstream TrueHD or DD+ or DTS-MA. I'm optimistic that it will eventually be able to decode DTS-MA the way it decodes TrueHD, but to the best of my knowledge Sony has not promised this.


Also, if you're not planning on playing games, you really ought to think about the 40GB rather than the 80GB.

I thought the 80GB has a lot of features besides it's capabilities of playing older game formats. It has more media center functions (accepts cards/sticks). I also heard that the increased memory helps with SD upconverting playback.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstang /forum/post/13137051


I thought the 80GB has a lot of features besides it's capabilities of playing older game formats. It has more media center functions (accepts cards/sticks). I also heard that the increased memory helps with SD upconverting playback.

I thought both PS3s came with 256Mb of RAM?


The 80Gb has more stuff in that it has 4 USB ports, a stick reader, and it will play SACDs and older PS2 games.


But the extra HDD space shouldn't make a difference in SD play back. One would think....


Seggers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstang /forum/post/13137051


I thought the 80GB has a lot of features besides it's capabilities of playing older game formats. It has more media center functions (accepts cards/sticks). I also heard that the increased memory helps with SD upconverting playback.


The difference between the 40 and 80gb models is the 40 gb doesn't have backwards compatibility for PS2 games, a smaller hard drive, and less usb ports. Otherwise, they are identical. Their use as a blu-ray player will be identical.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top