AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before you say it, I know the 606 is not in the same class with the other 2 but here are my questions before I buy 1 of these 3 units.

1) Is the 805 or 806 really that much better in sound quality, both for HT and 2 channel stereo music? Keep in mind that I will probably, down the road, add a more powerful external amp and use the receiver as a sound processor only so the difference in amp power from the 606 to the 805 or 806 is not an issue. I am interested in sound quality and being able to decode ALL of the new HD audio formats, does one unit really outshine the others when it comes to these functions?

2) What is the difference in the 805 and 806, is one really miles ahead the other in terms of performance or quality of build and performance? Which one would you buy and why?

I do not mind buying used products, matter of fact I prefer it, more bang for the buck, so buying a discontinued product like the 805 does not bother me. I thank you very much for your time and expertise regarding this subject and look forward to replies and recommendations shortly. Have a great evening.

Golffnutt

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
805 has Burr-Brown DAC's and 3 HDMI inputs

806 doesn't have the Burr-Browns, you have to step up to the 876 for those but it does have 5 HDMI inputs.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone else, man it is getting hard to get folks to answer posts on this site anymore????????????

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Get the 805 if you can find it. The 806 & 807 will not compare at least on paper.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golffnutt /forum/post/16916399

Before you say it, I know the 606 is not in the same class with the other 2 but here are my questions before I buy 1 of these 3 units.

1) Is the 805 or 806 really that much better in sound quality, both for HT and 2 channel stereo music? Keep in mind that I will probably, down the road, add a more powerful external amp and use the receiver as a sound processor only so the difference in amp power from the 606 to the 805 or 806 is not an issue. I am interested in sound quality and being able to decode ALL of the new HD audio formats, does one unit really outshine the others when it comes to these functions?

Doubt it.

Quote:
2) What is the difference in the 805 and 806, is one really miles ahead the other in terms of performance or quality of build and performance? Which one would you buy and why?

The amplifier section and/or power supply. Ultra2.

The best consumer version of Audyssey in the XT. OTOH, I think the 806 prolly has Dyn vol/eq. If you got a dedicated HT, you'd probably prefer the 805, and if you live in an apartment, or have lil kids, perhaps the 806.

For your 2nd Q, I chose 805 because I have a dedicated HT.

However, my first complaint I have is that I have to manually defeat auto-flagged DRC from TrueHD tracks. This means starting the movie, making the selection, then starting the movie over again (or just let it keep running, depending). If I have a large group over, I'll sometimes just get it all setup before anyone is even seated (ya know, while on mute, skip the previews, etc, select codec, defeat autoDRC, etc). I think some other receiver brands/models can retain the setting. If you have a PS3, then obviously that's where it's supposed to be defeated (if that happens to be your preference like mine, and I believe that unit also retains setting, which means moot point for you).

I have a different system that I use for stereo music. However, depending if ALL three are true: 1) you are even going to use the Audyssey to begin with, 2) You prefer stereo music as 2.0 (not matrixed), and 3) You prefer the flat target curve as opposed to the "stock" Audyssey curve . . . then there are some issues someone pointed out to me. I don't think he'll mind me sharing, and though he PMd me this at another forum, I believe he's a member here too.

"So with our Onkyos the only way to get the flat curve is to use a THX listening mode, the only problem is that all 3 THX music modes are based on matrix based processing schemes that turn 2.0 material into 5.1 or 7.1which is fine for noncritical listening, but I generally prefer 2.1, so I felt kind of screwed by my Onkyo, but know I feel that I've found a worthwhile compromise. I figured you might be interested if you use your 805 for music and would like to use AS, without the AS high frequency roll off that is the default for our Onkyos when in the Stereo Listening Mode.

So after my long winded intro for an unsolicited suggestion, here goes. First chose the THX Music, that's based on DTS Neo: 6. Next go into the setup menu > audio arguments > PLIIx/Neo:6 > Center Width. Set the center width to 5, and then exit. This shuts down the use of the center channel and preserves the original stereo separation between your mains. The rear channels still get some information, but usually not enough to be noticed. So it's almost straight 2.1 with the AS Flat Curve, which is how I really want to listen to my music.

I figured I'd share, since I believe you're a pretty big fan of AS and you've got an Onkyo."

Please do NOT confuse receiver manufacturer implementation choices with Audyssey itself. For instance, I think even Audyssey has possibly been lobbying for more accurate speaker size selection, after Audyssey has found the rolloff of any given speaker. With 805, if the rolloff is below 80hz, Onkyo selects as fullrange, which is generally incorrect. Again, not Audyssey's fault, but Onkyo's. I'm not sure if that implementation has changed with xx6 or xx7, and I actually doubt it.

In a nutshell, I would simply not worry about "SQ difference", outside of the EQ/RC. Other RC brands to investigate are MCAAC, Trinnov, YPAO, etc. The other brands that use Audyssey are Denon, Marantz and NAD. Marantz does not offer the highest level of XT with anything, AFAIK, and NAD offers an additional target curve which was helped designed by Paul Barton of PSB fame, at least with their units that have XT. MCAAC will not correct for LFE, nor anything below 63hz IIRC, but offers more flexibility otherwise among the competitors. Trinnov can have a correction cutoff at 300hz, most likely I'm assuming as a general guess at what the typical Schroeder transition freq might be of any room. Oh yeah, if you have a nice budget, there's the ARC with Anthem, which is pretty sweet, but you pay for it.

·
Registered
29,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golffnutt /forum/post/16916399

I do not mind buying used products, matter of fact I prefer it, more bang for the buck, so buying a discontinued product like the 805 does not bother me. I thank you very much for your time and expertise regarding this subject and look forward to replies and recommendations shortly. Have a great evening.

Golffnutt

Its a huge issue because you can't add an amp to the 606! No preamp outputs on the 606. The 805 is more powerful than the 806 and is about 13 lbs heavier too due to beefier internals. So your decision should come between the 805 and 806.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I would go with the 805 for Audyssey MultiEQ XT over the 806 which uses the lesser MultiEQ. The 805 has a much better amp section, better DACs, and if updated is virtually problem free. The 806 does have Dynamic Volume, but from users on here it is hit or miss. Really either or these would be a fine choice, but the 805 is the better of the two IMO.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a million to everyone for your detailed and very impressive replies. You have definitely convinced me to go with the 805.

I have found a very nice one for $475 which comes with everything as new and works perfectly. Is this a good buy?

Thanks again everyone, as usual you have been a tremendous help to the novice such as myself. Have a great day tomorrow.

Golffnutt

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostenmeat /forum/post/16917071

Doubt it.

The amplifier section and/or power supply. Ultra2.

The best consumer version of Audyssey in the XT. OTOH, I think the 806 prolly has Dyn vol/eq. If you got a dedicated HT, you'd probably prefer the 805, and if you live in an apartment, or have lil kids, perhaps the 806.

For your 2nd Q, I chose 805 because I have a dedicated HT.

However, my first complaint I have is that I have to manually defeat auto-flagged DRC from TrueHD tracks. This means starting the movie, making the selection, then starting the movie over again (or just let it keep running, depending). If I have a large group over, I'll sometimes just get it all setup before anyone is even seated (ya know, while on mute, skip the previews, etc, select codec, defeat autoDRC, etc). I think some other receiver brands/models can retain the setting. If you have a PS3, then obviously that's where it's supposed to be defeated (if that happens to be your preference like mine, and I believe that unit also retains setting, which means moot point for you).

I have a different system that I use for stereo music. However, depending if ALL three are true: 1) you are even going to use the Audyssey to begin with, 2) You prefer stereo music as 2.0 (not matrixed), and 3) You prefer the flat target curve as opposed to the "stock" Audyssey curve . . . then there are some issues someone pointed out to me. I don't think he'll mind me sharing, and though he PMd me this at another forum, I believe he's a member here too.

"So with our Onkyos the only way to get the flat curve is to use a THX listening mode, the only problem is that all 3 THX music modes are based on matrix based processing schemes that turn 2.0 material into 5.1 or 7.1which is fine for noncritical listening, but I generally prefer 2.1, so I felt kind of screwed by my Onkyo, but know I feel that I've found a worthwhile compromise. I figured you might be interested if you use your 805 for music and would like to use AS, without the AS high frequency roll off that is the default for our Onkyos when in the Stereo Listening Mode.

So after my long winded intro for an unsolicited suggestion, here goes. First chose the THX Music, that's based on DTS Neo: 6. Next go into the setup menu > audio arguments > PLIIx/Neo:6 > Center Width. Set the center width to 5, and then exit. This shuts down the use of the center channel and preserves the original stereo separation between your mains. The rear channels still get some information, but usually not enough to be noticed. So it's almost straight 2.1 with the AS Flat Curve, which is how I really want to listen to my music.

I figured I'd share, since I believe you're a pretty big fan of AS and you've got an Onkyo."

Please do NOT confuse receiver manufacturer implementation choices with Audyssey itself. For instance, I think even Audyssey has possibly been lobbying for more accurate speaker size selection, after Audyssey has found the rolloff of any given speaker. With 805, if the rolloff is below 80hz, Onkyo selects as fullrange, which is generally incorrect. Again, not Audyssey's fault, but Onkyo's. I'm not sure if that implementation has changed with xx6 or xx7, and I actually doubt it.

In a nutshell, I would simply not worry about "SQ difference", outside of the EQ/RC. Other RC brands to investigate are MCAAC, Trinnov, YPAO, etc. The other brands that use Audyssey are Denon, Marantz and NAD. Marantz does not offer the highest level of XT with anything, AFAIK, and NAD offers an additional target curve which was helped designed by Paul Barton of PSB fame, at least with their units that have XT. MCAAC will not correct for LFE, nor anything below 63hz IIRC, but offers more flexibility otherwise among the competitors. Trinnov can have a correction cutoff at 300hz, most likely I'm assuming as a general guess at what the typical Schroeder transition freq might be of any room. Oh yeah, if you have a nice budget, there's the ARC with Anthem, which is pretty sweet, but you pay for it.

Jostenmeat thank you very very much for such a great reply and taking the time to educate me as you did. You really went out of way to help and I REALLY appreciate it. Nice to know about the DRC problem which you say is your first complaint, by the way, what is your second complaint with the 805? Hopefully nothing serious?

Golffnutt

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by s44 /forum/post/16918640

If you're just going to use the thing as a pre, try putting it into 4 ohm mode. This has been mentioned in other threads as helping it run cooler...

Great suggestion, how do I do that?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anyone running the 805 with the Mitsubishi HD 1000 projector? Any handshake issues, as this is what I will be doing. Thanks.

Golffnutt

·
Registered
3,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golffnutt /forum/post/16918721

Great suggestion, how do I do that?

You go into the setup menu and it is an option in there. Select 2 from the main menu (Speaker Setup) then select 1 (speaker settings). change from 6 to 4 ohm. This will cut the power down.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/16919393

You go into the setup menu and it is an option in there. Select 2 from the main menu (Speaker Setup) then select 1 (speaker settings). change from 6 to 4 ohm. This will cut the power down.

Thank you. Have a great day.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golffnutt /forum/post/16917905

Jostenmeat thank you very very much for such a great reply and taking the time to educate me as you did. You really went out of way to help and I REALLY appreciate it. Nice to know about the DRC problem which you say is your first complaint, by the way, what is your second complaint with the 805? Hopefully nothing serious?

Golffnutt

You are welcome, Golffnutt. Something to consider is that it might be possible the 805 has enough power as it is. Savings can go elsewhere, like BD library, acoustic treatments, HT seating, whatever.

It'll depend on the volumes desired, the distance you sit from speakers, and the speaker characteristics. Also, I personally found that it was only after I did significantly treat the space that I started using more of my amplifier's capabilities. When it sounds "bad", it's not always about being too loud, or that the speakers are necessarily straining, but that room issues are raising their ugly head. This is just my limited experiences, but it was eye opening.

But, you'll soon see for yourself if it's adequate all on its own.

My personal second complaint is that it would be nice if it ran a bit cooler. It doesn't bother me in actual usage, but it would be nice. Hard to complain considering its value. Money saved by not going with a dedicated pre/pro went directly towards double digit panels, and I rest assured that I made the right decision.

Mine came as 1.06 FW as refurbed, and I never had any inkling at all to update to the latest 1.08. No handshake issues ever, having used 15 ft, 25 ft, and 35 ft Monoprice cables to an open box JVC RS1 that I bought from AVS store.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostenmeat /forum/post/16922190

You are welcome, Golffnutt. Something to consider is that it might be possible the 805 has enough power as it is. Savings can go elsewhere, like BD library, acoustic treatments, HT seating, whatever.

It'll depend on the volumes desired, the distance you sit from speakers, and the speaker characteristics. Also, I personally found that it was only after I did significantly treat the space that I started using more of my amplifier's capabilities. When it sounds "bad", it's not always about being too loud, or that the speakers are necessarily straining, but that room issues are raising their ugly head. This is just my limited experiences, but it was eye opening.

But, you'll soon see for yourself if it's adequate all on its own.

My personal second complaint is that it would be nice if it ran a bit cooler. It doesn't bother me in actual usage, but it would be nice. Hard to complain considering its value. Money saved by not going with a dedicated pre/pro went directly towards double digit panels, and I rest assured that I made the right decision.

Mine came as 1.06 FW as refurbed, and I never had any inkling at all to update to the latest 1.08. No handshake issues ever, having used 15 ft, 25 ft, and 35 ft Monoprice cables to an open box JVC RS1 that I bought from AVS store.

Very true, thank you for that suggestion and info.

·
Registered
14,793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostenmeat /forum/post/16917071

However, my first complaint I have is that I have to manually defeat auto-flagged DRC from TrueHD tracks.

I am not sure if the direct hex codes that jcalabria posted for the 876/906/886 will work with the 805. These codes were loaded into my database after sending them to Harmony. Harmony might have them in their main data base by now but I'm not sure of that. These codes should work with the 805 and other Onkyo receivers with the Late Night function.

If you have a universal remote like the Harmony I would see if you can load all the direct input hex codes that jcalabria posted. Of course many will not work with the 805 such as Dynamic EQ, Dynamic Volume etc. The Late Night function is part of the codes posted and makes checking the status of the Late Night function very easy.

I have not had much time to watch movies lately but Iron Man was the only BD that I have watched that automatically set the Late Night function to on. So with having the direct access code for Late Night on your remote you just push the respective button on your remote and it will indicate if the Late Night function is On or Off. No need to stop the movie or go deep into the Onkyo's menu

If you do a search in the 876 owners thread you will see the posts where jcalabria posted all the hex codes and the process he used to send them to Harmony. I do not know about other universal remote companies but I do not see why it would not work. I still have my 805 and it has the same remote as the 886 I own. I can not thank jcalabria enough for posting all these codes as it has made using the 886 so much easier

Bill

·
Registered
2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostenmeat /forum/post/16922190

When it sounds "bad", it's not always about being too loud, or that the speakers are necessarily straining, but that room issues are raising their ugly head. This is just my limited experiences, but it was eye opening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by golffnutt /forum/post/16924345

Very true, thank you for that suggestion and info.

I just wanted to be all the more clear about what I was trying to say. Specifically, that I think it is very easy to mistake bad room issues for something else entirely. When I turned it down a bit before, I thought maybe my speakers were straining, even though the models I have are pretty good with dynamics considering their price point. Now, my speakers cannot be uttered in the same sentence with many speakers that people here own, at least in regards to pure dynamic capability, but it's a point I just really wanted to impart, from my own personal experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac /forum/post/16924761

I am not sure if the direct hex codes that jcalabria posted for the 876/906/886 will work with the 805. These codes were loaded into my database after sending them to Harmony. Harmony might have them in their main data base by now but I'm not sure of that. These codes should work with the 805 and other Onkyo receivers with the Late Night function.

If you have a universal remote like the Harmony I would see if you can load all the direct input hex codes that jcalabria posted. Of course many will not work with the 805 such as Dynamic EQ, Dynamic Volume etc. The Late Night function is part of the codes posted and makes checking the status of the Late Night function very easy.

Thanks so much for your concern, and willingness to help out. However, when I said manually, I actually meant manually hitting the button on my remote.
It's programmed on the front page of my two macros on my URC. When I disable autoflagged DRC, the sound cuts out for a sec or two, and that's sometimes annoying to have to do.

My issue was that I even had to do anything to disable this with the Onkyo. Hope that makes my own personal complaint more clear.

Quote:
I have not had much time to watch movies lately but Iron Man was the only BD that I have watched that automatically set the Late Night function to on. So with having the direct access code for Late Night on your remote you just push the respective button on your remote and it will indicate if the Late Night function is On or Off. No need to stop the movie or go deep into the Onkyo's menu

If you do a search in the 876 owners thread you will see the posts where jcalabria posted all the hex codes and the process he used to send them to Harmony. I do not know about other universal remote companies but I do not see why it would not work. I still have my 805 and it has the same remote as the 886 I own. I can not thank jcalabria enough for posting all these codes as it has made using the 886 so much easier

Bill

As far as I have seen, EVERY TrueHD track uses it. And the only thing I watch are movies. I don't have TV, video games, nor watch DVD since '07. About 99% BD and 1% HDDVD. However, Iron Man is the worst implementation I have ever heard. I tried to leave the DRC alone sometimes, particularly after one member here I respect quite a bit told me he actually preferred that way with TDK, for example. I tried and I still don't. I now disable it every darn time.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I am also looking at the 607, 706, and 806. Any news on the 707 or the 807? I would like to to have the pre outs and i know the 607 does not have the pre outs. the others brands I am looking at Denon 2310/1910 and the marantz 6003. 75%movies and 25%music. What you all think about these rec?? /thanks

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I saw the 805 last night that I thought I was going to purchase unfortunately it was pretty rough cosmetically and it was FW 1.00 so I passed on it.

Guess now I am back to square one looking for another 805.

I noticed that there are a lot more 705's than 805's on the used market, what does everyone think of the 705 vs. 805? I really don't need the added power (100W vs. 130W), is there other distinct and better options that the 805 has over the 705? Please let me know what you think.

Rick

1 - 20 of 36 Posts