AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if there is some sort of beginners guide, or just some tips that have been consolidated beyond the 7940 posts in the Onkyo 606 Owners thread.


There seem to be so many things that can be done with this unit from bi-amping, different audio settings, proper calibration, etc. etc.


If anyone has some sort of "tutorial" on the best way to optimize the 606 I'd love to take a look at it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,945 Posts
Unpack the unit. Hook everything up. Plug in mic. Turn on. Let setup run. Enjoy.


The unit will pick up most formats automatically. If you want to change them, just use the buttons on the remote until you get one that sound good to you.


No magic. These are pretty much on auto pilot with the setup routine it does.
 

·
The Village Idiot
Joined
·
9,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu /forum/post/16953291


Unpack the unit. Hook everything up. Plug in mic. Turn on. Let setup run. Enjoy.


The unit will pick up most formats automatically. If you want to change them, just use the buttons on the remote until you get one that sound good to you.


No magic. These are pretty much on auto pilot with the setup routine it does.


+1


The more you use it the more familiar you will be with it and can then ask questions about particular functions. Using a modern day AVR might seem like a daunting task but the more you use it the more autimatic it becomes.


In other words - there ain't nothin available thats better than the users manual and 'stick time' with the product.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,564 Posts
There are a lot of good setup tips in the Audyssey setup guide in the first post of the Audyssey thread. It's not 606 specific, but it's still useful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So say you're watching a blu-ray movie. There is the "movie/tv" button on the remote and when you press the button it changes to a bunch of different listening modes. What's the best one to use?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,564 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGHitman14 /forum/post/16957548


So say you're watching a blu-ray movie. There is the "movie/tv" button on the remote and when you press the button it changes to a bunch of different listening modes. What's the best one to use?

For starters, if you have a 5.1 system, use the listening mode that corresponds to the received audio format: DD for DD, DTS for DTS, TrueHD for TrueHD, Multichannel for multichannel PCM etc. If you have 7.1, use PLIIx.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't see the option to choose DD or DTS or True HD. The options when I hit "movie/tv" are:


All Ch St

Full Mono

Theater-Dimensional

Mono

PLII Movie

Neo: 6 Cin

Mono Movie

Tv Logic


Which one of those should I be playing when I'm watching a blu-ray movie? There are also a few more options under the other buttons as well (music, game, stereo) so I was just curious what I should be using.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,564 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGHitman14 /forum/post/16959350


I don't see the option to choose DD or DTS or True HD. The options when I hit "movie/tv" are:


All Ch St

Full Mono

Theater-Dimensional

Mono

PLII Movie

Neo: 6 Cin

Mono Movie

Tv Logic


Which one of those should I be playing when I'm watching a blu-ray movie? There are also a few more options under the other buttons as well (music, game, stereo) so I was just curious what I should be using.

None of them. You have something configured incorrectly on your player such that you're not receiving multichannel audio.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So if it's configured correctly should the DD and DTS options be the ones for me to choose between? I mean, I see the little writing of those above the big writing which says all the stuff I mentioned above, but the main setting doesn't say DD and DTS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,564 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGHitman14 /forum/post/16960031


So if it's configured correctly should the DD and DTS options be the ones for me to choose between? I mean, I see the little writing of those above the big writing which says all the stuff I mentioned above, but the main setting doesn't say DD and DTS.

The available listening modes depend on what you're receiving. For most Blu-ray movies, you should be receiving either multichannel pcm, TrueHD, or DTS-HD. Press the Display button to see what audio format you're actually receiving.


What kind of player do you have? If it's a PS3, redo the audio settings on the PS3 - select the HDMI output, then auto-select the correct audio formats. Also, how is your player connected to your receiver?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplex /forum/post/16960159


The available listening modes depend on what you're receiving. For most Blu-ray movies, you should be receiving either multichannel pcm, TrueHD, or DTS-HD. Press the Display button to see what audio format you're actually receiving.


What kind of player do you have? If it's a PS3, redo the audio settings on the PS3 - select the HDMI output, then auto-select the correct audio formats. Also, how is your player connected to your receiver?

It's a PS3 and it's connected through an HDMI cable to the Onkyo 606 which then outputs to the Bravia via an HDMI cable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm currently watching a random non HD program on tv and it says DD 2.0 after I hit display. Is this correct?


And which preset should I play television and movies (movie/tv button) from to get the most accurate audio?


All Ch St

Full Mono

Theater-Dimensional

Mono

PLII Movie

Neo: 6 Cin

Mono Movie

Tv Logic
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,564 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGHitman14 /forum/post/16996096


I'm currently watching a random non HD program on tv and it says DD 2.0 after I hit display. Is this correct?


And which preset should I play television and movies (movie/tv button) from to get the most accurate audio?


All Ch St

Full Mono

Theater-Dimensional

Mono

PLII Movie

Neo: 6 Cin

Mono Movie

Tv Logic

I use PLII for all DD 2.0 TV viewing. Some programs are encoded with Dolby Surround and intended to be decoded with PLII, and some aren't, but there's no easy way to figure out which ones are. Besides, if you don't use a matrixing mode for 2 channel stuff, you'll have to listen to the relays click on and off every time you go from 2 channel to multichannel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is there a standard setting I should use, or standard settings depending on what the unit is outputting?


For instance


PLII for DD 2.0

? for DTS-HD


etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,564 Posts
Repeating what I said a few a posts back:


For starters, if you have a 5.1 system, use the listening mode that corresponds to the received audio format: DD for DD, DTS for DTS, TrueHD for TrueHD, Multichannel for multichannel PCM etc. If you have 7.1, use PLIIx.


You might want to try posting these questions in the official 606 thread. You'll probably get a little more visibility there.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top