AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,


I just purchased an Onkyo 606 and hooked it up last night. I have an Tivo HD and an AppleTV going into through the HDMI ports 1 and 2. Everything works really nicely, but it takes about 10-15 seconds for it to switch from one HDMI input to the other.

HDMI out to the Sharp Aquos TV, but I don't think it's the TV because you can see on the Onkyo screen it hasn't locked on yet. As soon as it does though everything is fine.

Only other thing hooked up are front and center channel speakers.


Thanks for any help
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry. I was wondering if taking 10-15 seconds to switch from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 was normal.


Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
Switching between HDMI sources definately does take longer than analog connected sources, but 10-15 seconds does seem high. You might want to contact Onkyo technical support about it. Not that this will help you, but, HDMI engineers are working on reducing these lag times by creating cicuits that will "pre-authenticate" (for lack of a better term!) HDMI sources in order to significantly reduce switching times.


HDMI has certainly been a headache for manufacturers thus far! But, as with most other emerging technologies, the problems will ultimately be solved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,945 Posts
I have a 606 connected through HDMI to a Toshiba DLP TV. Video sources are a Magnavox Blu ray player, Motorola DVR, and a Toshiba A2 HD DVD player. HDMI all around for connections.


Switching inputs on the 606 takes about 5 seconds for the components to sync and generate a signal.


I'm guessing that this is largely dependent on the individual components - some taking longer than others.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalus /forum/post/14245426


Hi,


I just purchased an Onkyo 606 and hooked it up last night. I have an Tivo HD and an AppleTV going into through the HDMI ports 1 and 2. Everything works really nicely, but it takes about 10-15 seconds for it to switch from one HDMI input to the other.

HDMI out to the Sharp Aquos TV, but I don't think it's the TV because you can see on the Onkyo screen it hasn't locked on yet. As soon as it does though everything is fine.

Only other thing hooked up are front and center channel speakers.


Thanks for any help

It's not only identifying the Source properties but getting a handshake finished with the component / peripheral on the other side of the HDMI cable every time You switch.


Your culprit might be that they take longer to complete this cycle.

Other components might be speedier at this in combination with Your 606.

It's this damned digital copy protection scheme which makes all this complicated and slow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,145 Posts
had to revive this thread because the same thing is happening to me. It started on Sunday when I bought a new Toshiba Regza 55inch LCD. Everytime I turn the system off and then on for the next time, Toshiba shows "no signal" and starts going through initial setup. I have to cancel the initial setup, go to inputs and reset the HDMI I. Then in about 10 seconds it gets the signal. I have a feeling it is my Onkyo 606 taking its sweet time to do the switching, even though when I turned it off, it was left on the same input.


Is the only solution to have Onkyo on at all times???? Alternatively, I wonder if I program my Harmony remote that it turn on the Onkyo first and then Toshiba LCD with a 10 second delay, giving Onkyo a chance to do the switching, but it maybe that it needs Toshiba tv on to do the switching and handshake.....Just thinking outloud. Is there another solution


Does the length of HDMI cables make difference? I am using a 6 foot long cable, do you think changing it to 2 foot long cable would make a difference, or in digital realm it does not make a difference?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,237 Posts
The Apple TV requires a significant handshake authenication time..

Related to their HDCP software..

Works fine when connected directly into an HD display (sync device), basic problem is with HDMI Repeaters. Noted delays (> 10 seconds) with Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo and HK AVRs..

Hopefully Apple will address this issue with a firmware update..


Didn't find the Apple TV on the Intel website of certified products..




Just my $0.025...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,145 Posts
well my tv is not apple but toshiba. i have not had the same problem with my 2004 Zenith plasma (which actually has DVI and not HDMI input). There were no handshake problem. I am going to disablle HDMI audio out on 606 when I come home from work, I have not done it, and read somewhere that it may help somewhat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
324 Posts
I see similar 10-15 second delays switching inputs on my Pioneer receiver when using HDMI. Apple TV is the longest, as mentioned above.


I had just written this off as an issue with HDMI...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutic /forum/post/16662773


had to revive this thread because the same thing is happening to me. It started on Sunday when I bought a new Toshiba Regza 55inch LCD. Everytime I turn the system off and then on for the next time, Toshiba shows "no signal" and starts going through initial setup. I have to cancel the initial setup, go to inputs and reset the HDMI I. Then in about 10 seconds it gets the signal. I have a feeling it is my Onkyo 606 taking its sweet time to do the switching, even though when I turned it off, it was left on the same input.


Is the only solution to have Onkyo on at all times???? Alternatively, I wonder if I program my Harmony remote that it turn on the Onkyo first and then Toshiba LCD with a 10 second delay, giving Onkyo a chance to do the switching, but it maybe that it needs Toshiba tv on to do the switching and handshake.....Just thinking outloud. Is there another solution


Does the length of HDMI cables make difference? I am using a 6 foot long cable, do you think changing it to 2 foot long cable would make a difference, or in digital realm it does not make a difference?

Just turn the 606 on first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutic /forum/post/16662964


well my tv is not apple but toshiba. i have not had the same problem with my 2004 Zenith plasma (which actually has DVI and not HDMI input). There were no handshake problem. I am going to disablle HDMI audio out on 606 when I come home from work, I have not done it, and read somewhere that it may help somewhat

You are confused the Apple TV is a not a video display but rather a source box connected between the computer and video display. It gives access to iTunes and other sources through the internet. Connects to the computer through wireless (802.11) and then to the video display by HDMI. Also has a built-in hard disk for storage capability.


Just my $0.025...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutic /forum/post/16662964


well my tv is not apple but toshiba. i have not had the same problem with my 2004 Zenith plasma (which actually has DVI and not HDMI input). There were no handshake problem. I am going to disablle HDMI audio out on 606 when I come home from work, I have not done it, and read somewhere that it may help somewhat

With the fact you say it goes to inital setup when turned on? You must be removing power completely. I'd suggest allowing it to reside in stand by mode, not removing power to it.


Lots of AVR's, audio and video processors do not like to have power totally removed.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top