AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all. I just switched out this old Kenwood receiver for a Onkyo 606 since I have quite a few HDMI devices to hook up. The problem I am experiencing is every 5 minutes to many hours the signal out via HDMI from the Onkyo to my Panasonic 42" Plasma will cut out. Sometimes it will do this over and over and then stop for some amount of time.

Here is what I know:

- I know that it is not sending a signal right then to my tv because my TV

shows on the screen when nothing is connected (if it was an input losing signal hte Onkyo would output a blue screen)

- I know it happens whether the input is component or HDMI, the output still will cut out

Here is what I have tried:

- Swapped out HDMI cable for a brand new one (note, both cables work fine from other components right to the tv)

- Tried different HDMI port on my tv

- Moved the receiver to a totally different plug in the house using a long extension cord to make sure it was not a powering issue

- Unplugged all speakers near the receiver in case it was interference

- Made sure the HDMI cable was as far away from other wires as possible

The top of the unit is hot but there is no bad smell. It is not any hotter than my cable box. I have nothing sitting on the top and there is a couple inches of top clearance and feet of clearance on the other sides.

I also tried taking the unit back and swapping it for another one, assuming that it was defective. That did not solve anything.

Next things on my list:

- Set receiver in the open air in case its a heat issue

- Try a little LCD screen I have to see if it gets the same problem

Any other ideas?

· Registered
35 Posts
I had a similar problem with my DVD player running component video through the AVR. It worked fine with a direct connection to my Samsung plasma, but I would get a lot of drop outs when I watched a DVD. For me, the issue came from enabling a setting on my DVD player - progressive scan - which cleared the problem right up.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've decided this must be a heat problem. I've moved the receiver from the cabinet out into the middle of the floor. I put a thermometer on the top back by the HDMI ports and it is 111 degrees F. I have seen a couple cut outs since I moved it into the open. My next idea is to point a fan down at it and see if that gets rid of it totally. If it does I'm not sure what to two.

Is it possible that two units from two different stores have the same overheating problem and I should return it and get a third?

· Registered
8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcm2a /forum/post/15432362

I've decided this must be a heat problem. I've moved the receiver from the cabinet out into the middle of the floor. I put a thermometer on the top back by the HDMI ports and it is 111 degrees F. I have seen a couple cut outs since I moved it into the open. My next idea is to point a fan down at it and see if that gets rid of it totally. If it does I'm not sure what to two.

Is it possible that two units from two different stores have the same overheating problem and I should return it and get a third?

hey i just hooked up my onkyo 606 and am watching a dvd. im getting the same thing... it appears random but frequent. it cuts out for like 1/10th of a second (as if one frame is missing in the dvd every 5 mins or so. ANNOYING!). i dunno what to do either. =(

· Registered
1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcm2a /forum/post/15432362

You have not mention what the source component is? Does it cut out using several different sources? ...if so, then you might suspect the 606, otherwise if it only happens with one source component I would be looking at that component and trying different option/settings in a effort to solve the issue. How likely is it to have the exact same problem with two different units, especially when the problem is not a commonly reported one to begin with? I feels more like your problem is external to the 606 given the circumstances you've reported here so far.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.