AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Japan, the Onkyo 608 will be out on March 31, not sure when it hits the states.

Here are some links on it that I am too lazy to translate, But the jist is anyways its 7/1 with THX Select Plus, 130W/channel and Front Wide DSX. Of course 3D ready with HDMI1.4.

6 HDMI Inputs, 1 Out with 1080p upscaling, also now has a D-sub15 input for PC. The GUI is vastly improved as in the links.
:

http://www.jp.onkyo.com/news/newprod...xsa608_578.pdf

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/n...04_352496.html

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
@ CES 2010 in Las Vegas Onkyo advised these new AVRs would ship in April/May to North America.

I recall there was (3) new models in that series..

Just my $0.01..

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code /forum/post/18263766

@ CES 2010 in Las Vegas Onkyo advised these new AVRs would ship in April/May to North America.

I recall there was (3) new models in that series..

Just my $0.01..

I would think the 3rd model coming spring is the lower grade, or HTIB.

It is interesting that Onkyo has the lower model marked for release also on March 31 in Japan as 578, last year it was 507.

But the features on the 608 make me excited for the annoucements this summer for the 808 and up.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Here is some info on the new Onkyo TX-SR608 in english:
http://gizmodo.com/5488963/onkyos-tx...ix-hdmi-inputs

-192-kHz/24-bit Burr-Brown PCM1690 DAC's

-HDMI Thru allows content to pass through to the TV when the receiver is in a standby state

-onscreen graphical display that lets the user watch the program in the background while using the function menus

-HDMI v1.4 connectivity standard for new 3D video displays and Audio Return Channel capabilities

-100watts 7.2 channel

-THX-Select2 Plus certified

-added Audyssey DSX to the PLIIz the 607 had

-upscaled to 1080p via HDMI and Faroudja DCDi Cinema for ALL inputs

-new PC input (I wonder what that is)

-Available in april for $599

wow, it sounds like they took the sr707 added some features and are selling it as the 608. And for only 599 MSRP, I can't wait for the street price. I can't wait for the higher end units either.

Also note some of those features are even in the lower priced 508, 308, and home theater in a box.

·
Registered
29,195 Posts
608 still doesn't have preouts and only Audyssey 2EQ but has more power consumption than the 707 and is also THX Select 2 plus certified.

·
Registered
401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/18278366

608 still doesn't have preouts and only Audyssey 2EQ but has more power consumption than the 707 and is also THX Select 2 plus certified.

Nice catch on the power consumption...interesting stat.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Kind of makes you wonder if they are even going to make a 708.

Bring the THX certification, Audyssey DSX, more power, 1080p upscaling, Burr-Brown DAC's, etc. down into the 608 model, what is there left to differentiate the 708? Pre-outs, sirus, 12v trigger, 4ohm performance, and the RS-232 port?

Doesn't seem like enough to justify another tier. Unless they are planning on moving some other features of the 807 down into the 708 like networking...

This is going to be an exciting year for moderate priced receivers. I'm glad I'm still holding off on my upgrade plans.

·
Registered
452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHCYJ /forum/post/18278809

Kind of makes you wonder if they are even going to make a 708.

Bring the THX certification, Audyssey DSX, more power, 1080p upscaling, Burr-Brown DAC's, etc. down into the 608 model, what is there left to differentiate the 708? Pre-outs, sirus, 12v trigger, 4ohm performance, and the RS-232 port?

Doesn't seem like enough to justify another tier. Unless they are planning on moving some other features of the 807 down into the 708 like networking...

This is going to be an exciting year for moderate priced receivers. I'm glad I'm still holding off on my upgrade plans.

If the 608 is THX certified, then it has 4 ohm capability.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Sure looks like the 608 blows away the 607... I'm excited! Imagine a 608 for $375 like the 607 is going for now? Insane...

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hmmm, Should I keep my 1.5 week old 807 or return within return window & wait for the possible 808 coming around the corner.

I got my 807 locally new for almost the newegg price which makes me kinda hesitant to return it.

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Ask yourself:

You upgrade AMPS very seldom. Hell I am still using in my bedroom and front room 12 year old sony STRDE800/900

Do you think, until you buy a new receiver, you will want

1. 3D blu-ray (I know I do), my Mits DLP can even do it today wit the converter box

2. Audio return (need new TV for that).

So if you are buying a TV in the next few years it is a no -brainer. The new model is not only THX (which I view as just hitting ceartain standards) but 2lbs HEAVIER - this can only be a good thing. The old xx7 ran so hot even teh front face got hot.

I have a 606B now and my 2nd HDMI daughterboard is going bad. Supposedly due to heat/poor design. Looks like they moved the daughterboard away from teh heat in the 607 so I am hoping this works. It sucks waiting 10minutes to get a handshake/sync to HDMI.

·
Registered
355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull /forum/post/18283388

If the 608 is THX certified, then it has 4 ohm capability.

I was just going off the features checklist on Onkyo's website, but it doesn't seem to be that accurate. It seems like they leave features unchecked on some of the lower end units to make the higher end units look better.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
It's too bad they went with 2EQ instead of MultEQ, but I suppose they needed cut somewhere.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli /forum/post/18315876

It's too bad they went with 2EQ instead of MultEQ, but I suppose they needed cut somewhere.

Is there really that big of a difference in these?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Does amazon.com notify you prior to shipment? I am considering this unit, and the new Pioneer 1120k. I know their is a price difference, I do like the "pass thru" feature on the Onkyo though, I dont believe the Pioneer has this. I am also curious what their next level reciever will have incorporated?

Any opinions on the Pioneer 1120 vs 608?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
onkyo seems to be stepping up their game for 2010.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts