AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically, which is a better unit?

I'm getting a new 3D TV and want a receiver capable of handling the 3D signal. I currently have an Onkyo 606 that i've loved, but it's breaking(cant handle 1080p anymore) and can't handle 3D. I'm running a 7.1 setup with just some basic Sony floor standing fronts, Sony book shelf satellite speakers, and a powered 12" Sony sub; however, I plan to upgrade to better speakers in the future though.

I c the Onkyo handles 100w per channel where the Yamaha is only 90w, but typically you get what you pay for in electronics most of the time and i guess i'm just wondering why the Yamaha is a little more(Msrp) and if it's worth it over the Onkyo? The retailer i'm going through has a financing plan i want and only carries these models, so please no other suggestions. Thank you!

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Can't say which is the better unit.

Manufacturer specified power ratings have no meaning IMO. I explain why in the stickied AVR FAQ.

The 667 looks like a nice unit, and I have had good luck with Yamaha. Ask some of the Onkyo owners, like the one who just reported that he has replaced 2 in 6 years, how he likes their quality?
(that is of course, not evidence that Onkyo has worse quality than Yamaha, but it makes you wonder...well it makes me wonder

·
Registered
444 Posts
I would listen to them both. Make sure that the same speakers are used, that both are in "Pure Audio" or "Direct" mode or something similar that bypasses processing, and set the speakers with the same crossover settings.

To me, the Yamaha sounds phenomenal (and i'm an Onkyo owner). The 667 really sounded amazing both times I went to listen to it in-store, I didn't spend enough time with the 608 to know how it compares.

Also, the power consumption on the Yamaha is 400W, it's 640W (I think) on the Onkyo which is also amazing for such a low priced unit. Compare this to some of this year's comparable Pioneer models (1020) with only 245W (which is much less than last year).

I don't think you can go wrong with either, but I *believe* the Yamaha has pre-outs while the Onkyo doesn't. If you ever want more power or a stand-alone amp, the Yamaha would give you that option.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts