AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys.

I have an Onkyo HTIB 6100 and I want to replace my front speakers. I use the system 50% movies and 50% music. The speakers that come with the system are not very good dealing with music, so I want to replace them. The room is 150 square feet (14 square metre). I like rock and metal music, so I like that kind of warmth sound.

I have a great opportunity to buy a pair of Klipsch f-2 speakers, for a good price. I can not buy the center speaker right now, but I think I will in 6 or 7 months.

My main problem is I can not listen to the speakers to test. Where I live there is no stores.

Do you think these speakers will pair with the receiver of the onkyo 6100 and give me a great warmth sound?

Please help me! I can not wait too much!

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey buddy!

I was just listening to some F-2's at a store yesterday. They had a pretty decent price on them, so I was thinking about grabbing a set to start replacing the Sony setup I have in my living room.

If you can get them for under their MSRP, they are pretty decent floor standing speakers. If you're on a budget, and want to compromise on the center channel for a bit, you could get the towers, and pick up a Quintet III system. I've seen these going for less than half of their MSRP in some places. That would give you your L/C/R set in the front, and 4 satellites for your surrounds.

Now as for your other questions. Most modern Klipsch speakers are very bright and detailed because of their horn tweeters, so most would not consider them "warm" sounding. Warm is a pretty subjective term though, I'll explain.

I've played guitar for roughly 20 some years now. When I think of a warm sound, I think of Slash's playing on the Use Your Illusion CD's, tube powered guitar amps, and celestion loaded guitar cabinets. So I have a very different examples of warm. All that being said, I listen to a lot of the same kinds of music you do, and I love my Klipschs. They were demoing the Incubus blu ray for the F-2's I listened to, and they sounded pretty good for the money!

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
When I auditioned Klipsch, they were pretty harsh and bright with their tweeters. You might want to look elsewhere. What is your budget? You are going to need to buy a matching center as well if you are going to buy new fronts.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Furious One /forum/post/18265217

Hey buddy!

I was just listening to some F-2's at a store yesterday. They had a pretty decent price on them, so I was thinking about grabbing a set to start replacing the Sony setup I have in my living room.

If you can get them for under their MSRP, they are pretty decent floor standing speakers. If you're on a budget, and want to compromise on the center channel for a bit, you could get the towers, and pick up a Quintet III system. I've seen these going for less than half of their MSRP in some places. That would give you your L/C/R set in the front, and 4 satellites for your surrounds.

Now as for your other questions. Most modern Klipsch speakers are very bright and detailed because of their horn tweeters, so most would not consider them "warm" sounding. Warm is a pretty subjective term though, I'll explain.

I've played guitar for roughly 20 some years now. When I think of a warm sound, I think of Slash's playing on the Use Your Illusion CD's, tube powered guitar amps, and celestion loaded guitar cabinets. So I have a very different examples of warm. All that being said, I listen to a lot of the same kinds of music you do, and I love my Klipschs. They were demoing the Incubus blu ray for the F-2's I listened to, and they sounded pretty good for the money!

Hope that helps!

That's cool. I'm a guitar player too!

Thanks for the reply. I'm a bit feared of the "bright" sound, but, as you said, it's very subjective. I think there is no other way. I have to listen before buying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs /forum/post/18265246

When I auditioned Klipsch, they were pretty harsh and bright with their tweeters. You might want to look elsewhere. What is your budget? You are going to need to buy a matching center as well if you are going to buy new fronts.

I've heard some bad things about the horn tweeters.

It's strange. Some people, like The Furious One said, consider kiplisch bright but like the sound they deliver.

I forgot to say I live in Brazil. The klipsch here costs about 1.000 dollars. That's my budget.

The center speaker I can not buy right now. I'll buy the left and right and listen to music in stereo until I can buy the center.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you're on a budget, you're definitely on the right path IMO. Some people like the Klipsch sound, some can't stand it. I'm not an audiophile by any means. Like I said, I've been a musician for 20+ years, so I really like the detail, clarity the horns put out. That could also be because I've lost some of my hearing, but that's a whole other conversation. I have noticed that if you don't EQ them right, they can be down right obnoxious, and can be picky about playback from certain devices. I've had the best luck from my PS3 thus far. Sound quality from my 2nd Gen ipod touch has been hit and miss. That could also be how the files were compressed. I haven't had my stuff more than a couple weeks, so I'm still playing with everything and learning along the way. If you have any beginner questions that I could help you out with, feel free to PM me!

Whatever brand you choose, you are on your way. Get your fronts first, then get a matching center channel. Since you're a musician yourself, you'd probably want to get your sub before your surrounds. Having a good sub paired up with your towers really fills things out. I haven't done a full setup of my system yet cuz I'm waiting on my surrounds, but I did pick up 2 of the Synergy Sub 10's tonight and it's made a huge impact on the sound already. Being in Brazil really complicates things for you. Stuff is very expensive down there, and it's really not any better to have a buddy state side buy then ship to you either. You guys get taxed a lot on incoming goods. I've sent some guitar equipment down there and it wasn't pretty on the costs.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Furious One /forum/post/18268814

If you're on a budget, you're definitely on the right path IMO. Some people like the Klipsch sound, some can't stand it. I'm not an audiophile by any means. Like I said, I've been a musician for 20+ years, so I really like the detail, clarity the horns put out. That could also be because I've lost some of my hearing, but that's a whole other conversation. I have noticed that if you don't EQ them right, they can be down right obnoxious, and can be picky about playback from certain devices. I've had the best luck from my PS3 thus far. Sound quality from my 2nd Gen ipod touch has been hit and miss. That could also be how the files were compressed. I haven't had my stuff more than a couple weeks, so I'm still playing with everything and learning along the way. If you have any beginner questions that I could help you out with, feel free to PM me!

Whatever brand you choose, you are on your way. Get your fronts first, then get a matching center channel. Since you're a musician yourself, you'd probably want to get your sub before your surrounds. Having a good sub paired up with your towers really fills things out. I haven't done a full setup of my system yet cuz I'm waiting on my surrounds, but I did pick up 2 of the Synergy Sub 10's tonight and it's made a huge impact on the sound already. Being in Brazil really complicates things for you. Stuff is very expensive down there, and it's really not any better to have a buddy state side buy then ship to you either. You guys get taxed a lot on incoming goods. I've sent some guitar equipment down there and it wasn't pretty on the costs.

Reading what you wrote, I definitely think I would like Klipsch, since we like the same type of music and we both are musicians. I was wondering if the store located in Rio de Janeiro could send the speakers to me as a try period, and I would pay for the shipment in case of not buying the product. I'll talk to them.

Buying this kind of product in Brazil is really complicated. The government wants to protect the local industry, as other countries do, but the paradox is the audio equipment available here has not the same quality as in USA and Europe, for example. If you want to buy a speaker in a common store, you have to buy LG, Philips etc. If you want to buy something like Klipsch or Polk, the import taxes are very high.

I'm not an audiophile too, but I'm realizing that the type of sound that I like I wont get with cheap equipment. I like to be able to listen to the details, and I love to feel the impact of a drum Kick in the chest (as in Metallica Black Album or many Dream Theater CDs). Do you think the Klipsch f-2 can at least come close to this?

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by venon1313 /forum/post/18273111

I'm not an audiophile too, but I'm realizing that the type of sound that I like I wont get with cheap equipment. I like to be able to listen to the details, and I love to feel the impact of a drum Kick in the chest (as in Metallica Black Album or many Dream Theater CDs). Do you think the Klipsch f-2 can at least come close to this?

Thank you very much!

That's really a difficult question to answer, and depends on a lot of things. Placement of the speakers, how efficient they are, and how well your receiver can keep up, the layout of the room you're putting them in etc... I just looked up the specifications of your receiver, and it looks like it might keep up pretty well.

The F-2's on their own, have a good amount of bass. When I heard them, the setup and placement was horrible, and they still retained a good bit of low frequency definition. As for feeling it in the chest, I don't think I've ever heard a home system that can compete with standing in front of a kit. I think you'd be happy with towers, if low end response is a big concern, I'd think about stepping up to the F-3's if your budget permits, or getting a sub as quickly as you can.

For a reference point, I went in and turned my subs off, set my RF-35's to full range and went through the black album a bit, some Megadeth(Countdown to Extinction) A mix of Dream Theatre songs, and Tool's 10,000 days. All of them have a lot of low end, and my towers kept up pretty well at about half way up. It's not really a fair comparison since my towers have 8" drivers and are probably a little more efficient in power handling, but there isn't much difference in our receivers. I have the Onkyo 707. I think you you'll like them, but like with most home systems, a good sub makes all the difference in the world. That is unless you want to go all out and just set up an entire PA system in your house!

I use to have some 18" Cerwin Vega bass bins set up in my house a long time ago and you could def. feel the bass with those, the trouble was, so could my neighbors!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi!

Well, I think the Klipsch F-2 or F-3 (I don't know the price of this one yet) will be a good choice. I'll buy it in a couple of months and I'll let you know what is my impression about the speakers, considering you helped me a lot.

I'll definitely buy a new sub in the future. It's the next buy after the center speaker. For now, I think my sub can handle the job, since it's not that bad (not that good either).

I'm very happy to know that you can get good bass using an Onkyo receiver and klipsch speakers, because that is the set up I want too, but I do know you got those good results using the Reference line, which is superior compared to Sinergy. Unfortunately, Reference is complete out of my budget, but, as you said, f-2 and f-3 have a good amount of bass too.

Well, let's go shopping. Thanks very much buddy.

·
Registered
123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by venon1313 /forum/post/18277718

Hi!

Well, I think the Klipsch F-2 or F-3 (I don't know the price of this one yet) will be a good choice. I'll buy it in a couple of months and I'll let you know what is my impression about the speakers, considering you helped me a lot.

I'll definitely buy a new sub in the future. It's the next buy after the center speaker. For now, I think my sub can handle the job, since it's not that bad (not that good either).

I'm very happy to know that you can get good bass using an Onkyo receiver and klipsch speakers, because that is the set up I want too, but I do know you got those good results using the Reference line, which is superior compared to Sinergy. Unfortunately, Reference is complete out of my budget, but, as you said, f-2 and f-3 have a good amount of bass too.

Well, let's go shopping. Thanks very much buddy.

I'm really happy with the setup I have ended up with. Had I not gotten the deal I got on the reference line(I bought them used), I would have went the Synergy line as well. On paper, there really isn't a whole of differences spec wise. They use different tweeters, and the woofers are the reference line are a little more efficient. IMO, the reference line is more appealing to the eye than the Synergy line. They look a little to "sci fi movieish) to me. I honestly don't think there is enough differences between the 2 to warrant the price difference.

I like my music loud, clean, and detailed. I think that can be achieved with either series. I'd almost say you could probably accomplish that by going with bigger sized book shelf speakers and a good sub. If you're waiting awhile to buy, I'll get back with you after my RB-52's and RB-35's get here. I'll do a little arranging and testing. It may be in your best interest to go that route if it can achieve what you're looking for, and it might possibly save you some money as well!

The was only 1 downside to getting this system. I blew my budget and can't afford the Krank Rev. mini tube head I had been wanting! Oh well, some day!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Furious One /forum/post/18283280

I'm really happy with the setup I have ended up with. Had I not gotten the deal I got on the reference line(I bought them used), I would have went the Synergy line as well. On paper, there really isn't a whole of differences spec wise. They use different tweeters, and the woofers are the reference line are a little more efficient. IMO, the reference line is more appealing to the eye than the Synergy line. They look a little to "sci fi movieish) to me. I honestly don't think there is enough differences between the 2 to warrant the price difference.

I like my music loud, clean, and detailed. I think that can be achieved with either series. I'd almost say you could probably accomplish that by going with bigger sized book shelf speakers and a good sub. If you're waiting awhile to buy, I'll get back with you after my RB-52's and RB-35's get here. I'll do a little arranging and testing. It may be in your best interest to go that route if it can achieve what you're looking for, and it might possibly save you some money as well!

The was only 1 downside to getting this system. I blew my budget and can't afford the Krank Rev. mini tube head I had been wanting! Oh well, some day!

Hi!

The good price I was offered for Klipsch f-2 is no longer available. Well, it's not that bad, since now I can chose among the Klipsch models we discussed without being in a hurry. In addition, I'm planning how to listen to them before buying, but this is a more complicated issue.

I would really appreciate if you could contact me after you test your new bookshelf. I think bookshelves are a very interesting option. How could we contact?

This Krank head must rocks. I'm not sure but I think Krank is the brand of Dimebag Darrel's amp. I use an old Peavey Special 112 with my Les Paul Standard, but planning in the future to buy a tube amp.

Thanks. See you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts