AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just like the new Pioneers.. no pre-amp outputs, so you're stuck with 5.2.2 or 7.2. Otherwise this looks like a winner. Especially with 3 HDCP 2.2 inputs.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
From the specs I'm reading three ports compatible with HDCP2.2.
"Joining next-generation audio decoding are eight 4K/60 Hz-ready HDMI® 2.0a inputs and two outputs, including dedicated HDCP 2.2-compliant terminals for 4K streaming and UltraHD Blu-ray with Dolby Atmos or DTS:X audio (due later this year). High Dynamic Range (HDR) color and 21:9 cinema-aspect are also supported."

http://www.onkyousa.com/Info/pressreleases.php#359

It says 8 HDMI 2.0a ports. Not sure if they're all HDCP 2.2. What's the use of a HDMI 2.0a port that's not HDCP 2.2?

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Need an affordable one with pre-outs, otherwise I like the 2.0a HDR addition.
Affordable and pre-outs seems to be a dying breed. You have to step up into the upper-mid range to get pre-outs now :mad:

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"Joining next-generation audio decoding are eight 4K/60 Hz-ready HDMI® 2.0a inputs and two outputs, including dedicated HDCP 2.2-compliant terminals for 4K streaming and UltraHD Blu-ray with Dolby Atmos or DTS:X audio (due later this year). High Dynamic Range (HDR) color and 21:9 cinema-aspect are also supported."

http://www.onkyousa.com/Info/pressreleases.php#359

It says 8 HDMI 2.0a ports. Not sure if they're all HDCP 2.2. What's the use of a HDMI 2.0a port that's not HDCP 2.2?
From their website (http://www.onkyo.ca/Products/model.php?m=TX-NR747&class=Receiver) :

HDCP 2.2 Copy-Protection Compatibility (3 in / 2 out)

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
They look good so far! Has Onkyo divested themselves from Audyssey completely?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I'm really just starting to jump into the idea of height channels. My receiver now is 5.1 with no hdmis. I was interested in last year's NR636 because of Atmos, but didn't realize these lower end units are either 7.2 or 5.2.2 until today.

I'm moving next month and this is my basement:

I'm going to set up a projector on the left side of the room, but I'd like another audio zone by the bar that can tune either the same or a different source.

Am I correct in thinking a digital audio source (AC3 from cable, DTS-MA from movie) that has been bitstreamed to the receiver will NOT be available to the second zone by the bar?

·
Registered
HT Room: Atmos 7.1.4 with 117" 21:9 AT DYI screen & prism; Bedroom: Atmos 5.1.4 with 55" OLED
882 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can't find any definitive info if the HDMI inputs are 10.2 or 18 GBit/s. "HDMI 2.0a" only means they support the added signaling for HDR.

They state "4K/60Hz" capability, but that can be either in 4:2:0 (10.2 GBit/s) or 4:4:4 (18 GBit/s).
The product page clearly says 18 Gbps : "HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 compatibility supports the latest formats and technologies planned for Hollywood content. HDMI 2.0 offers a significant increase in bandwidth (up to 18Gbps) to support new features such as [email protected]/60 (2160p), which is 4 times the clarity of 1080p/60 video resolution. Version 2.0 is backward compatible with earlier versions of the HDMI Specification."

·
Registered
HT Room: Atmos 7.1.4 with 117" 21:9 AT DYI screen & prism; Bedroom: Atmos 5.1.4 with 55" OLED
882 Posts
The product page clearly says 18 Gbps : "HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 compatibility supports the latest formats and technologies planned for Hollywood content. HDMI 2.0 offers a significant increase in bandwidth (up to 18Gbps) to support new features such as [email protected]/60 (2160p), which is 4 times the clarity of 1080p/60 video resolution. Version 2.0 is backward compatible with earlier versions of the HDMI Specification."
I might be splitting hairs here, but generally stating that "HDMI 2.0" can support "up to 18 GBit/s" does not mean that the HDMI ports on the Onkyo actually support that rate. That whole statement is very evasive and open to interpretation.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I might be splitting hairs here, but generally stating that "HDMI 2.0" can support "up to 18 GBit/s" does not mean that the HDMI ports on the Onkyo actually support that rate. That whole statement is very evasive and open to interpretation.
Yeah you're right...

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
8 HDMI 2.0a/HDCP 2.2 ports. :)

They still use AccuEq and dts:x only supports 5.1.2. :(
Only 3 of the 8 rear inputs are full 2.0 with 2.2!;) Its written on the 747s back panel as well.

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
Not that much on speaker setup and playback options. There's s link in the manual to the advanced manual but broken as of now.

They depict rear/front height speakers on the walls and the usual ceiling for atmos.

I only read the manual for the 747.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts