AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble making a decision between these two units. Price wise I can get them for sbout the same.

They both do component switching, butI have heard that the Denon may have issues with HD. Is this true???

Also, the Onkyo 696 does not have 6.1. I am using the Energy XL series speakers and I currently do not have a rear surround speaker. Is this really that important??

All opinions will be taken into consideration. Thanks

·
Registered
443 Posts
I just purchased the Denon 2802 about 2 weeks ago...I am very new to the home theater experience...I have no complaints excpet the lack of ex and es title out there...Star Wars Episode 1 was unbelievable on the EX mode, there is a noticable difference between 5.1 and 6.1 in my opinion...Pro-Logic 2 is awesome...Go for the Denon...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Monitor out is to your TV. The other outs are usually to other recording devices or processors. Neither of these devices converts composite or s-video to component output - it would be nice. Specifically I bought the 696 because it DOES convert composite in to s-video. This helps with VCR's for example that don't have an s output. It is the only receiver that does this under $2000 I think. There is a new $>4000 Pioneer that converts composite and s to component - too much unless you want lots of the other features.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I guess I'll jump in even though I don't have any experience with the Denon. I own the 696 and it's powering a Diva set-up. 6.1 mains, 2.1 rears and a C3 center. I think it sounds great, but again, I can't compare it to the Denon.

Lon_Coleman, The Onkyo 696 is supposed to have enough bandwidth for HD switching, but since I don't have HD anything I can't test that for you. However, I do use the video switching extensively.

This part is more for msink. I have four items that have S-video out. A Tivo, DVD, 3DO and a laser disc player. Since my TV can only accepts one S-video input, that helps out greatly as I connect everything to the Onkyo and only one wire to the TV. Additionally, I have a few items that only have a composite connection (camcorder, SNES, VCR). I can connect those items to the Onk as well and it internally converts the composite signal to run on the S-video cable. Not all can do this-I don't know about the Denon. So, in the end, I have eight video devices connected to the Onk and only one wire going to the TV. That's really nice...no switching cables and I don't even have to switch the different video modes on my TV. I just leave it on Video in 1 all the time. If I turn on the DVD player, pop in a disc, the Onk automatically switches the output to the DVD and I'm ready to go. Same for the CD player etc. Of course it can convert everything to component too if that's how you hook it to your TV. FYI, the Onk will display the OSD on your TV if you wish.

If you have any more Q's regarding the Onk, (or Diva's or SVS for that matter) please feel free to ask...

Sean

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
>>>>Did you mean to say it will convert to Composite? Or it actually will take all kinds of inputs, and output Component?Will the OSD display out the component outputs? It looks like if S-video is your highest quality source, everything works well.Once I hook up a Component DVD player, and run component to the projector, I lose some switching, and possibly OSD while using Component.As for speakers... Im doing all this for a friend, and we are getting her the Diva's. Im looking for ease of use with the video switching, since she just wants to press play buttons.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Quote:
It will do composite to s-video conversion, but not to Component.

Also, it will do component switching, but only from the 2 component inputs.

Ah, crap.

Sean

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.