AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a nice(er) 7.1 speaker package, I will NOT be spending $3000 on it so everyone thats dying to tell me this will be sh1t compared to bla bla bla keep it to yourself please. I know this, I'm ok with only upgrading a notch or 3and not getting the "best" for now. All I want to know is if this will give me pretty decent quality surround sound for my setup compared to what I have. I've been looking at the Onkyo SKS-HT540 or SKS-HT750 7.1 setup, my current setup is......

Kenwood VR-409 5.1 receiver 500 watts

Kenwood surround sound 5.1 speaker setup 100 watts each

Kenwood powered subwoofer, 6"

Nothing fancy at all, sounds pretty good for movies or call of duty 4, bass is ok. I would consider it pretty good compared to some Wal-Mart/Big Lots crap but like i said nothing fancy at all.

So compared to what I have now how would the Onkyo do? I will also be changing the reciever to a Onkyo SR604, SR605 or SR606 and will probably swap out the HT540 sub for a JBL SUB12 later on. Most video and audio will be coming from a PS3 so I'm not worried about the receiver having a TrueHD decoder in it. All video will output to a Optoma HD65 PJ.

Room is 12Wx16Lx10H, one door opening to dining room (left front) and one stair opening going up (left rear w/ slight corner).

Speaker setup is under $300

Receiver under $300

Sub under $170

Yes I've read through the other posts.

-thx

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
If you read the other posts you would have realized there is a section for "Home Theater in a Box".

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i did. i also read someone else tried that and didnt get any ?'s answered so they moved it to this thread...im saving myself the trouble. also i wouldnt say this is a HTIB exactly since it does not come with a receiver.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't know if this helps but this is my 7.1 set up

Onyko SR 705 reciever

Polk Audio Monitor 30 (fronts)

Polk Audio RM10 5.1 surround speaker

Polk Audio PSW 303 Sub

I've gotten all of the pieces for really reasonable prices online and I have no complaints about the sound..I'm not a big audio guy, but the setup more than satisfies my needs. I wish I could help out a bit more....I'll be glad to answer any questions if I can.

I didn't spend anywhere near 3000 dollars for this setup..It was barely over a grand.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
any info is appeciated, minus Colticus who couldnt help but say something not related to my ?'s.

I'll check out the SR 705 also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts