AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have so much trouble deciding on what receiver....when I get close, boom another thought. I found a Marantz sr4003 for 411.75. The Onkyo 606 for 350 and the 706 for 550.

Which to get, please help. I have 550 to spend, so if there is another receiver I should consider please post!!

Thank

Michael

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm also seriously considering the 4003.Seems like there are some great bargains on that one right now.The 4003 does not decode the latest lossless codecs (Dolby True HD and DTS-MA) but does accept them as PCM over HDMI.So I'd only recommend it if using a blu-ray player with on-board decoding like PS3 or Panny bd35 among others.The 4003 has excellent reputation for reliability and sound quality.It does not upscale over HDMI nor does it convert analog video to HDMI.

From what I've read on the forums the Onkyo reputation for reliability is less then excellent.

Andy

·
Registered
24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemafreak /forum/post/15443391

I have so much trouble deciding on what receiver....when I get close, boom another thought. I found a Marantz sr4003 for 411.75. The Onkyo 606 for 350 and the 706 for 550.

Which to get, please help. I have 550 to spend, so if there is another receiver I should consider please post!!

I am exactly where you are. I have read so much here, my eyes hurt and brain aches, and have learned more than anything, how much more I don't know, and need to know. Still, it may help to understand what your priorities are.

For me, the receiver is just for DVDs, BDs, TV (regular broadcast and hi-def). I have a PS3, and will be getting a Samsung DLP 61". Picture quality is my priority, and ease of setup (I am no expert in this stuff), with some degree of protection against obsolescence. Sounds needs to be good, but I am no audiophile. Not sure what works best for that, but if you could say what is important to you, it may help nail down some choices.

For instance, I hear Denon's instructions are weak, and for me, that is a serious downside, taking Denon off my short list.

- Phil

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.