AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am completely new to home theater/audio and am in the market for a receiver. I was going to get the tx-sr706 but I want to see if it's needed for me or not (save some cash). Here is what I have and want to do. I have an lcd TV that is 1080p capable 5 hdmi inputs (aquos lc-52D65U), a motorolla hdpvr (dct3416) that does 1080i or 720p, dvd recorder/player that can do hdmi too (1080p upscaling). May also add either a wii and or a ps3 later as well. Most of the tv use will be with the hd cable box. This will be in a living room for general audio purposes. Not looking to build a theater room here. Most the time watch tv with the tv speakers and receiver off. So with those components do I need the 706 with it's 1080p upscaling? Also would there be any problem with the 606 with 4 ohm speakers? Thanks for any help.

Jason

·
Registered
273 Posts
Uhh, 4 ohm speakers? With a receiver?

In that case, definitely the 706. Why? Because it has pre-outs, and that will allow you to add an outboard amplifier to properly drive those 4ohm speakers.

If an outboard amp is completely out of the question (look at emotiva's UPA-7, or try to find a 2nd hand LPA-1) maybe look at the 806. It's amplifier section is significantly stronger than that of the 606 or 706, and it's certified to drive 4 ohm speakers.

But, IMO, driving 4 ohm speakers of a receiver will give it a hard time, and that onkyo 806 might run a bit hot.

What kind of speakers?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Yeah, 4 0hms with an AVR will be tough at that price point. Other than that I think the 606 will do everything you need it to for less money.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The speakers will be diy using dayton speakers MTM style. Either natalie p's or something of the sort. The 706 is listed as 4 ohm capable where the 606 isn't. Not like the thing is going to be cranked all the time.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Well, the 706 then.

If it drives the Nat P's well, great. If you decide you need more juice, you have the option of adding an outboard amp. best of both worlds.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks for the input. I think I will go with the 706 probably, can't justify the 806. I can always "borrow" an external amp from my dad if I ever need to. You know when amps were made where 100 watts was more than enough.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts