AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am completely new to home theater/audio and am in the market for a receiver. I was going to get the tx-sr706 but I want to see if it's needed for me or not (save some cash). Here is what I have and want to do. I have an lcd TV that is 1080p capable 5 hdmi inputs (aquos lc-52D65U), a motorolla hdpvr (dct3416) that does 1080i or 720p, dvd recorder/player that can do hdmi too (1080p upscaling). May also add either a wii and or a ps3 later as well. Most of the tv use will be with the hd cable box. This will be in a living room for general audio purposes. Not looking to build a theater room here. Most the time watch tv with the tv speakers and receiver off. So with those components do I need the 706 with it's 1080p upscaling? Also would there be any problem with the 606 with 4 ohm speakers? Thanks for any help.

Jason

· Registered
273 Posts
Uhh, 4 ohm speakers? With a receiver?

In that case, definitely the 706. Why? Because it has pre-outs, and that will allow you to add an outboard amplifier to properly drive those 4ohm speakers.

If an outboard amp is completely out of the question (look at emotiva's UPA-7, or try to find a 2nd hand LPA-1) maybe look at the 806. It's amplifier section is significantly stronger than that of the 606 or 706, and it's certified to drive 4 ohm speakers.

But, IMO, driving 4 ohm speakers of a receiver will give it a hard time, and that onkyo 806 might run a bit hot.

What kind of speakers?

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The speakers will be diy using dayton speakers MTM style. Either natalie p's or something of the sort. The 706 is listed as 4 ohm capable where the 606 isn't. Not like the thing is going to be cranked all the time.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks for the input. I think I will go with the 706 probably, can't justify the 806. I can always "borrow" an external amp from my dad if I ever need to. You know when amps were made where 100 watts was more than enough.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.