AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a wicked hour long cloud to ground storm yesterday putting strikes allover my 20 acre property. We did not lose power but lost cable/internet for about 5 minutes. My onkyo was turned off and is behind a good surge protector. We tired to use it today and no HDMI audio or video. On top of that, my cable box turns on just fine but no video when connected directly to the tv. The TV works, and hooking devices directly to the TV works. The Onkyo turns on and everything just no sound or picture. I can't even bring up the setup menu. Any suggestions where to start>?

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
What have you for surge protection on that cable line? And what kind of surge protector are you calling good?

MOV surge protectors won't work if your ground ends up with a lot of voltage on it, by the way. For ultimate protection, one would probably want to look into Furman offerings with hybrid MOV/SMP protection. It would do a better job either way though of course nothing is perfect. Really, you should unplug stuff during a storm like that. Also, look into service entrance (whole house) surge protection, while still using good surge protectors for sensitive stuff. It's not that expensive, shouldn't be more than a couple hundred installed.

·
Registered
72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougw133  /t/1421675/onkyo-707-fried-by-lightning#post_22249931

Yeah..What is that? I have no display even for setup menu from the unit.

I did some research and it looks like it might be explained in your owners manual. I have a yamaha that just got zapped and I'm going to look it up in the manual tonight. keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend123  /t/1421675/onkyo-707-fried-by-lightning#post_22249868

What is that??

Take out the Operation Manual, see page 121 for instructions..

Just my $0.02..

·
Registered
72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend123  /t/1421675/onkyo-707-fried-by-lightning#post_22249993

I did some research and it looks like it might be explained in your owners manual. I have a yamaha that just got zapped and I'm going to look it up in the manual tonight. keeping my fingers crossed.

It just says to unplug the unit for 1 minute. I did that but it's still broke. oh well, looks like I'm shopping for a new receiver.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All I find on 121 is to hold VCR/DVD and hit the power button. Funny thing is that I know have display in the form of the setup menu. However, the "No signal" on the TV has changed to a blue screen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts