AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The past two weeks I bit the bullet and upgraded my home theater.

I got a Mitsubishi 65732 65"1080P Television, a Playstation 3, and an Onkyo TX-SR804.

The TV was delivered today and I had the PS3 and 804 ready to connect. I connected the PS3 via HDMI to the 804 and the 804 to the TV via HDMI. I played a game for a while, TV display said it was 720P, and it worked fine. After a while, we wanted to watch a Blu-Ray movie, so I put in X-Men 3 and went to check the PS3's settings. The TV screen started flickering as I was in the PS3's settings menu. Full screen flickering off and on, so bad that I could barely see to get to select the Blu-Ray disc to play. We started watching the movie and it kept flickering. It seemedto get worse at high action/loud scenes. Sometimes the screen would actually go black and stay off for a second or two. After each long pause, the TV's text that says "1080P Standard" would reappear at the top of the screen, like I had just selected that input.

I thought that maybe the HDMI cables were loose, and the bass were vibrating them making them disconnect briefly. I checked them, and the one going into the TV did seem a bit loose, so I pushed it back in firmly, and figured that had fixed the problem.

I had not been in my chair 2 minutes before it was flickering again.

When the movie was over, I connected the PS3 directly to the TV via HDMI and the video worked great, no flicker at all. BUT the sound was crazy. It sounded like the TV's speakers were only playing the surround track for the movie!

Any thoughts and ideas would be very appreciated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyJo /forum/post/0

Did you try shutting off the HDMI audio out (of 804) off?

No, didn't try that. I will when I get home.

I had the PS3 sitting on top of the 804 when it was happening, and both were pretty hot.

Last night I took the PS3 and sat it on its side and watched The Omen 666. The Mitsu TV said it was "480P Stretch" and the video was great, it looked good and had no flicker and perfect sound.

I am goign to try another Blu-Ray when I get home tonight, maybe the heat was the problem, like I have read in the big PS3 post. If it is still flickering I will try the audio off option.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMILANI /forum/post/0

What cable lengths are you using for HDMI? For 1080p, the HDMI cable length cannot be too long as the data rate is much higher.

-D

From PS3 to 804 I am using the "Psyche PS3 HDMI Cable," it is 3 feet long.

From 804 to TV I have a white eight foot Sony HDMI Cable.

I only used those cables because I couldn't wait for my monoprice ones to arrive.

I am going to replace them and take them back to the store as sone as the monos get in.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjon010 /forum/post/0

I have also been reading the long post regarding the PS3 problems too. I didn't see it before I made this thread.

I had to return the 804 due to incompatibility problems with the PS3. Not only does the 804 have problems with 1080P passthru, it is also unable to receive uncompressed 6.1/7.1 audio tracks output from your PS3.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not Sure if its the 804s problem or just the PS3 communicating with the 804.

I solved my problem by running the PS3 directly to the Mitsu TV via HDMI, and rand the optical audio out from the PS3 to the 804. Works great that way.

I have my cable box (currently not HD since Memphis Comcast doesn't have any HD boxes to give out now!! for three months!!) going into the 804 via composite (the yellow plug), and into the Mitsu TV via HDMI and it works great. Can't wait to get the HD box.

Hopefully they will get the PS3 problems worked out soon.

·
Registered
27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjon010 /forum/post/0

The past two weeks I bit the bullet and upgraded my home theater.

I got a Mitsubishi 65732 65"1080P Television, a Playstation 3, and an Onkyo TX-SR804.

The TV was delivered today and I had the PS3 and 804 ready to connect. I connected the PS3 via HDMI to the 804 and the 804 to the TV via HDMI. I played a game for a while, TV display said it was 720P, and it worked fine. After a while, we wanted to watch a Blu-Ray movie, so I put in X-Men 3 and went to check the PS3's settings. The TV screen started flickering as I was in the PS3's settings menu. Full screen flickering off and on, so bad that I could barely see to get to select the Blu-Ray disc to play. We started watching the movie and it kept flickering. It seemedto get worse at high action/loud scenes. Sometimes the screen would actually go black and stay off for a second or two. After each long pause, the TV's text that says "1080P Standard" would reappear at the top of the screen, like I had just selected that input.

I thought that maybe the HDMI cables were loose, and the bass were vibrating them making them disconnect briefly. I checked them, and the one going into the TV did seem a bit loose, so I pushed it back in firmly, and figured that had fixed the problem.

I had not been in my chair 2 minutes before it was flickering again.

When the movie was over, I connected the PS3 directly to the TV via HDMI and the video worked great, no flicker at all. BUT the sound was crazy. It sounded like the TV's speakers were only playing the surround track for the movie!

Any thoughts and ideas would be very appreciated.

I don't have a PS3, but have had the flicker problem across all devices on my 804. I hooked it up tonight, only to witness a terrible flicker on my DirecTV H10...I switched cables to make sure that wasn't the case...no dice. I watched a DVD on my PS DVD player...same problem over the HDMI...it wouldn't even display my XBox 360...looks like I got a dud.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It seems apparent that the Onkyo 804 is having issues with the HDMI pass through/connection for the PS3.

I've had the Onkyo 804 receiver for awhile now, and I can't return it. I'd like to know what I can do to resolve this issue. I'm not keen on separating the audio from the HDMI, by using an optical out.

Is there any solution for this? I've asked on a couple of different threads.

·
Registered
204 Posts
On a suggestion, I replaced my HDMI cables....Actually I guess I had one bad cable....I got lucky and it was the first one I replaced. Mine displays at 1080p now with zero problems. I do have an 803 though. I didn't buy expensive Monster cables either.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This problem is pretty depressing in that I have two new games that I can't play.

All of my BLURAY movies play fine through the Onkyo 804 receiver. However, when the PS3 plays games:

Games like Motorstorm, Fight Night, I have no problems. Certain PS2 games and some of the new games I am having a lot of trouble.

Also, these problems all came about after the recent firmware upgrades. I did NOT have these issues prior to the past 2-3 upgrades. :[

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.