AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read that hdmi boards go out on Onkyo's, but it usually entails no output what so ever. So I'm guessing I am having handshake issues, but not sure.

Lightning strike MAY be culprit, but don't want to confuse myself as it may not have been a cause at all.

Onkyo tx-sr805 receiver. All my sources, Xbox 360, Cable box, Ps3 and Hd dvd all go to the 805 via hdmi and the 360 shares a splitter with Hd dvd player.

Output from the 805 travels out the hdmi port and through a 50 foot monoprice thick ass hdmi cable, through a wall, attic and finally down the post and to my Panasonic 4000 projector. I've had this setup working fine for over a year and a half.

Had a NASTY lightning strike that may or may not have hit the house, but did hit within 100 feet the other day. May be the issue and maybe not. Everything surge protected through 2 seperate SP's. I don't watch movies as much and the lightning might have nothing to do with it, or EVERYTHING.

Problem, I get no video to my projector.

What I DO get is everything else seems to work fine besides the 805 to panny.

I've used a computer monitor to test the hdmi output from 805. GOOD.

Same monitor in place of the projector, Good. Hdmi is output the back of the 805 and through 50' cable to the monitor.

I've reset the receiver, unplugged EVERYTHING for 24 hours and plugged back in. Receiver, sources and projector. Plug it all back in, NO video.

I've read there can be too many components in a complete HDMI CHAIN, but in 1 1/2 years I've never had an issue. Wanted to ask monoprice if they've ever heard of it but all I can see is they only offer live chat and no actual phone number. Don't wanna buy a new hdmi cable just to test, but may be forced to, but I'd need at least a 25' cable as I'm not moving my receiver nor unmounting my projector.

Anyone have ANY clue at all what might be happening? I'm at a complete loss and might have to just shoot my 805 with the 12 ga shotty. I've read of replacing capacitors in the onkyo hdmi board, but I don't think this is the same issue as others have faced.

Please help me, kind folk. Much obliged.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
If you unplugged the hdmi from the projector and plugged it into a computer monitor and it worked, it would seem the problem is with the projector.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All inputs on projector work. I removed the hdmi from the onkyo output and hooked it strait into my xbox360, the same 50' hdmi mind you, to the projector and it works. The problem only seems to be the onkyo to panny. I could send the receiver and projector to service and i bet both would be deemed not broken.

Not that it isn't the projector, but nothing makes sense. Can't figure it out.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One other oddity encountered was when i turned on the cable box and set my projector and onkyo up for that input, obviously no video, but the audio kept cutting in and out. So I pulled the hdmi out from the onkyo that goes to the projector and then the audio stopped cutting out.

Plugged the hdmi back in and noticed somehow it causes the cable box (hdmi) to cycle between 480i and 1080p.

I have removed cable box from hdmi chain and this does nothing to fix my original issue, though.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizill /forum/post/20958406

One other oddity encountered was when i turned on the cable box and set my projector and onkyo up for that input, obviously no video, but the audio kept cutting in and out. So I pulled the hdmi out from the onkyo that goes to the projector and then the audio stopped cutting out.

Plugged the hdmi back in and noticed somehow it causes the cable box (hdmi) to cycle between 480i and 1080p.

I have removed cable box from hdmi chain and this does nothing to fix my original issue, though.

Cable boxes, IME, tend to be rather senstive to HDCP flags. If the HDCP flags go missing, such as in your apparently weak connection from 805 to 4000, the STB will refuse to deliver output and/or downscale everything to 480. See it all the time if I power on my TWC STB before my projector finishes its power on cycle (805, too).

50' appears to exceed the official HDMI spec for cable length. Obviously yours worked for some amount of time, but it no longer does. Could be oxidation in the cable, 805, or 4000 increasing resistance somewhere in the signal path. The monitor apparently needs less voltage than the 4000 so it worked. Maybe the Xbox puts out slighly more voltage/current than the 805 so it worked through your 50' cable when connected directly to the 4000, but once it goes into the 805, you're limited to whatever voltage/current the 805 delivers. Your best bet is to shorten the cable. If that's not possible, follow JD's advice and find an extender.

-Brent

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. I got off my lazy ass and moved the Onkyo 805 over next to my panny projector. I used a 10' hdmi and got the same issue. I retested all inputs and outputs and again, everything works... UNTIL I introduce the Panny to the Onkyo.

Next step is I'll do the firmware updates for the Onkyo 805 and try the HDMI update. I had a dongle sent to me a couple years ago with cd and never did the update as things seemed to work fine. I'm doing the update as I type this. Hopefully this cures my problem, though I'm not sure why it finally failed after almost 2 years.

Crossing my fingers...

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Main update nor HDMI update did a damn thing. Almost about time to let Onkyo meet 12GA slug. That, or Panny meets the same.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Taken from my other home, PolkAudio:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis /forum/post/1651637

Bizill,

I deal this this kind of thing all the time. I wanna do a check list and isolate the issue.

So give me a number and check after each question.

1) If you connect the receiver with the 10 foot cable directly to the projector and turn on OSD , do you get the OSD from the Onkyo on the projector? No, but works on 42" hdmi lcd tv.

2) Over the 50 ft in wall HDMI cable connected to the projector , does all your sources display video with the Onkyo removed? Yes sir.

3) With all sources disconnected from the Onkyo , Onkyo connected to monitor out over 50ft HDMI to Projector , can you get OSD ? No, nor with the 10' hdmi.

What happens with HDMI is it's more sensitive then a women. It runs off of 5 volts. If voltage increase behind 5 volts , something pops in the chain. Receivers seem to be the most sensitive as I have had countless lightning strikes and found all sources are still good , Tv or projector are still good but the receiver no longer outputs video over HDMI. If you connect Component , S or Composite , they all usually still work. Agreed, but the Onkyo outputs hdmi fine to any other tv, via OSD or a source even at 1080p.

Here is another awesome thing that HDMI does. use as you are experiencing , HDMI decides not to work anymore between a receiver and Monitor/ Projector for no reason what so ever. (THIS) It's usually a voltage spike in my experience. Some systems get surge protected with high end surge protectors. What sometimes happens is the voltage comes over a Antenna or Cable service line.If the Surge protector isn't designed for todays service which would block the cable service from working properly or if you have FIOS , you can't surge the service line as it's a pure digital signal and doesn't pass through most surge protectors. (likely, as I hear cable boxes blamed often for wreaking havoc on other components. Digital cable in my case)

Now with FIOS , fiber comes into the home which is a non metallic no conductor so FIOS should not have the ability to spike a system. What tends to get missed is the Network , phone line or Antenna line. If any of this does not go through a surge then you have the ability to send a spike into your system. Even a few extra volts will kill HDMI chains. It's that sensitive. (regretfully, ONLY the chain between Onkyo and Panny)

I feel your pain as I pull my hair out sometimes trying to figure out what happened to a perfectly good working system. I hate HDMI for this where I feel HDMI is a very flawed technology.

If the Onkyo works with another monitor and passes all sources video to it over the 50ft cable , then that chain is fine, if it doesn't then the receiver is at fault.

If the Projector displays all sources when connected directly over the 50ft HDMI cable with no problems , no hick ups , no pink screens no dots then that chain is fine.(as would be the hdmi cable)

When 2 products stop working together , both most likely have to be sent in for service. I', willing to bet the Onkyo is beat and needs to be fixed. Weigh your options this might be the time to upgrade to a better receiver with more HDMI inputs so you don't have to use a HDMI splitter. That also can be beat as they are little sissies and blow up after a small spike.

Let me know if I can help any further.

Might be my ONLY option. I'm certain if I sent in either projector or receiver, both will come back and stamped "good". So it's pointless. I'm leaning more to it being the receiver. I think i did have some funked up spike. Noticed now my home network is screwy, or at least one gigabit switch has like 6 out of 8 ports don't work. All cat6 wiring.

Again, last night I plugged in ONLY my xbox360 to the Onkyo and the Onk received it just fine. Plug in the hdmi to the panny and it starts making the Onkyo wig out. It kills the chain between the Onk and the xbox360. It sends itself into a loop trying to find the xbox360 hdmi connection. Unplug the hdmi to the projector and it finds the 360 immediately. So this makes me think it's the receiver, which it probably is, but what if the panny is throwing out a bunko signal. Sorta like one person speaking Chinese while the other is speaking Latin. Both are talking, but cannot understand one another.

I saw Mole has a used Pio SC-07 for sale, but I'm broke and on that Obama money it seems. Looks like I have to buy a REEEEEALY long component cable and crawl through my attic like a contortionist or walk away and say "F. U."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts