AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched for 2 days for this and haven't found anything. Hope you can help.

My new Onkyo 805 is dropping video (completely black) every few minutes for a second or two while playing through my SA8300 HD cable box using HDMI to my Sony SXRD A2000. Audio continues to play uninterrupted. There is no warning and the rest of the time the picture is perfect. My HTPC does not do this.

I am using cables that are less then 6 feet in length. Just in case it is the cables I already ordered new ones that are 1.3a CL2 certified. I doubt the ones I have now are. I should have these by Wed.

I have the latest firmware and do run a fan on the top of the receiver.

If I plug directly into the TV this does not happen.

I am hoping the issue is not with the Onkyo.

Is there anything you could suggest to try, other then what I have done, to find the root cause and fix it? This is extremely annoying.

Is this a known issue with the 805?

Other then this overall I am pretty happy with it. Running a very quiet 120mm fan on the top and it barely gets warm.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Its probably the cable box. The impression I've had is that most cable boxes do not have hdcp repeaters, and so the signal would die at the receiver. I presume this is the first time you are running hdmi cable box thru a receiver? How old is the cable box? Anyways, its hdcp issues most likely.

I would just run the cable directly to tv. You are gaining nothing except possible convenience by running thru receiver, and by using different inputs on the tv, you can possibly calibrate inputs per source. GL, and sorry.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes this is the first time I have been running through anything. I used to go direct.

I still can. I do have 2 HDMI ports on the TV.

This cable box model has been around since we got Hi-Def cable about 3 or 4 years ago I think. I have exchanged the actual box, but for the same model.

Thanks for the info and it's only a minor inconvenience if this is all it is and not my receiver.

Thanks again,

Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts