AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the onkyo 805 a decent pre-amp for a 200w amp like the sunfire cinema grand or an emotiva?

Sorry if this is a newb type question but I would hate to totally lose the 805 if it will be a good processor.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Certainly the 805 should be a decent pre-amplifier. It sounds like you already have one? If you like the sound of it now, it won't sound any worse running a separate amplifier. A 200w outboard amplifier is barely any increase in power, though - the 805 will have just over 150w available to either four or eight ohm speakers, on it's own, and more to four ohm speakers if you dare to use the high impedance setting. 200w vs 150w is just over 1dB increase, which is not significant.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I've added parasound 2205at power amp to my onkyo 805. It made a huge difference (I ran fronts in bi-amp configuration with 805). Prior to that I wasn't satisfied with music DVD/Blu-Ray playback (I have a separate 2 channel system for music only). No complains with movies though. Now the sound is in different league. I haven't had a chance to compare 805 to a decent AV processor, but I don't have any major complains at this point. Don't forget to turn down output stage voltage (4Ohm settings) to save energy (electricity bills) when you use it as a preamp/pro.

I wouldn't worry about the gain in the amplification. As great as 805 is, it won't compete with separate amps, especially if your speakers present difficult load.

PS: my speakers are realatively easy to drive Energy C-6, C-4 and AC-300 (nominal impedance 6-8 Ohms with sensitivity in range 90-88dB). They are crossed at 80 Hz (C-6 play down to 27Hz in my HT room) and SVS sub handles the bass.

·
Registered
14,839 Posts
I am using a 805 as a prepro with a NHT Power5 and I am very happy with it. I bought mine as a refurbished unit from shoponkyo.com for a great price. I feel for the cost the 805 is excellent for HT with HDMI 1.3 and the latest HD audio formats. For 2 CH I use a seperate preamp with HT Bypass.

Bill

·
Registered
14,839 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpaxadpom /forum/post/15460951

Don't forget to turn down output stage voltage (4Ohm settings) to save energy (electricity bills) when you use it as a preamp/pro.

tpaxadpom,

I am not sure I understand how setting the speaker setting to 4ohm will save energy.

Bill

·
Registered
487 Posts
Setting the 805 for 4 ohm reduces power so a 4 ohm speaker doesn't overload the amp. In this case, the reduced power reduces the amount of wattage the amp uses both running and at idle. Since you don't care about feeding the max amount of power to speakers and want the 805 to have the lowest wattage profile, it makes sense to run it at 4 ohm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.