AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is a quote from a review of the Onkyo 805

I think I can agree with most reviewers about the sound. However, the HDMI video output is appalling. I ran my DTV DVR and PS3 through it to my Samsung 61" DLP and the picture quality completely degraded. Black levels were too bright, artifacts, pixelization, just an overall bad HD picture when compared to going direct.

Is it possible that the HDMI circuitry of my 805 is giving me less of a picture than if I went straight from my blue ray to my 1080p tv ?

If so how can you feed the audio and video through different paths using Hdmi ??

Darren

·
Registered
487 Posts
If you're using an 805, you want to passthrough any HD sources - run the sources through the 805 but don't let it process the source. The video chip in the 805 - Faroudja - only upscales to 480p. Passthrough doesn't touch any of the sources.

My 805 looks great with a PS3, Xbox 360 and Cable DVR. Just as good as a direct hookup.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewS99 /forum/post/15482926

If you're using an 805, you want to passthrough any HD sources - run the sources through the 805 but don't let it process the source. The video chip in the 805 - Faroudja - only upscales to 480p. Passthrough doesn't touch any of the sources.

My 805 looks great with a PS3, Xbox 360 and Cable DVR. Just as good as a direct hookup.

I think you are filling in the blanks in your reply in your head because I dont understand what you are saying,,,,,,,,,,,my blue ray player is set to PCM passthrough sending the signal from dvd to my 805 which decodes that data in dolby true hd sound and I assume 1080 p resolution what I am getting from you is that I can only get 480p from an Onkyo 805's decoder despite its $1500.00 price tag and I have NEVER WATCHED 1080 P ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,please explain

Darren

·
Registered
610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermetist /forum/post/15500372

my blue ray player is set to PCM passthrough sending the signal from dvd to my 805 which decodes that data in dolby true hd sound and I assume 1080 p resolution what I am getting from you is that I can only get 480p from an Onkyo 805's decoder despite its $1500.00 price tag and I have NEVER WATCHED 1080 P ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,please explain

Darren

You are confusing what happens to the audio vs. video from your Blu-ray player. Setting the audio in the Blu-ray player to PCM, or any other setting, has nothing to do with the video.

When using a HDMI connection to the 805, the video is passed straight throught to the TV untouched; typically 1080P for Blu-ray. The 805 does transcode analog video to HDMI (for example convert compoent video to digital HDMI). This process is where the 805 is known to be less than stellar.

Audio is different. The 805 decodes the digital audio it receives from the player. What audio the 805 decodes is controlled by you when you select the preferred audio track when you start the movie. Typically, you would select one of the non-lossy audio formats such as LPCM, DTS HD-MA, or Dobly TrueHD since your 805 can decode any of these.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I see no difference in picture quality passing it thru the receiver as opposed to going directly to the tv with my setup.

·
Registered
610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermetist /forum/post/15500984

AM I watching 1080p ??

Yes, if that is what your Blu-ray player is sending out its HDMI output. The 805 has nothing to do with it; just passes whatever it receives on to the TV. For example, I have a Samsung P1400 Blu-ray Player connected to an 805 via HDMI. The player is set to output 1080p. The 805 passes this straight to my TV untouched. There is NO video degradation.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
I just had my TV ISF calibrated through my 805, so I hope there's no signal loss.....

Seggers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts