AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been hearing a lot of talk lately about the Onkyo 805. How does that compare up to one of the Pioneer Elite Tuners? I was told they were about neck and neck in terms of performance but the Onkyo was cheaper in price. Is that accurate? The Pioneer Elite Tuner I was considering is either the VSX92TXH or the VSX94TXH.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
You'll have fans of both, Onkyo does seem to pack more features in for the price. I'd suggest narrowing it down to one model from each and checking them out for yourself.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm on the same fence as the OP.

From what I've read here, the Onkyo is clearly an excellent value, but it runs very hot, and more importantly, has an audio delay/lip sync issue.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...yo+audio+delay

According to the AVS poll, many people can't detect the audio delay/lip sync problem. Others have found it to be unacceptable and returned their receivers because of it. It's unfortunate, because even the Onkyo's detractors seem to appreciate its many virtues.

I've heard mostly very good things about the Pioneer, but I'm not excited about the price and I haven't seen much in the way of discounting.

So, I'm still researching. I'd appreciate anyone's feedback.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I have had both. I used to own the 805, but returned it because of the lip synch issues. I think the Pioneer 94 sounds a little better better on movies, and it doesn't have the issues of the 805. (heat, delay when switching signals). Also, The MCACC auto setup of the Pioneer did a much better job than the Audessey in the 805

·
Registered
330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFul4d /forum/post/12890761

I have had both. I used to own the 805, but returned it because of the lip synch issues. I think the Pioneer 94 sounds a little better better on movies, and it doesn't have the issues of the 805. (heat, delay when switching signals). Also, The MCACC auto setup of the Pioneer did a much better job than the Audessey in the 805

Man I love this forum.

Thanks DFul. You mentioned that you like the Pioneer for movies. How does it do with music? That's *very* important to me.

Also, I've only looked around a little, but I've only seen it priced near MSRP. If you have any recommendations on a good deal for the Pioneer, would you PM me please?

·
Registered
682 Posts
You should go and audition it for yourself. One thing I always do is make sure the other electronics/speakers in the shop are much better than mine. That way I can rule out any shortcomings that I hear are coming from other sources.

I always take some of my own CDs that have wide dynamic range + one with solo voices + one with solo piano.

·
Registered
63 Posts
To those on the fence. You will have no disappointments with the Pio 92 or 94. After much research and demo's, I went with the Pio 92 (did not need the additional things the 94 added).

I read about the heat issue with Onkyo. I went to CC and sure enough, they had it running and it was HOT (not hot as in "cool", but hot as in heat!). Never did hear the lip sync issue.

The denon sounded great but I did not like the design nor the color.

But the pioneer stood above the rest of the crowd: Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, and Harmon.

I can tell you this, the Pio 92 is great for movies and music. It is way above my previous Yamaha 1500. I asked my wife just last night (who by the way is not into audio or home entertainment) said she hears a big difference between the Yamaha and our newly acquired Pio.

There are so many more things I am hearing in the movies and music that I had no idea existed. Details, details, details. Astonishing really.

I have it hooked up 7.1. But what was a huge noticeable difference was how it delivered the LFE. There is so much more details to the bass. Tight would be what comes to mind. The yamaha did not come close to it. Hear all along I thought it was the sub, which is an Outlaw Sub.

If you have any questions you can just PM me.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I had an Onkyo 705 running Rocket 760 Sigs, 300 and 200's and it was ok for my 12x18 room. Ended up selling it and upgrading to the Pio Elite 92 and it is a completely different system.

Not that there was anything wrong with the Onkyo, it was a great receiver. I simply like the sound and build quality of the Elite better.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Maybe some of the techno nerds think the 805 gets HOT as you call it but it doesn't compare to August in Iraq. 140+ degrees. I have the 805 and trust me it's not that hot and the sound is incredible and I have no lip sinc issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow, this forum astounds me and confuses me at the same time! There is so much wealth of info in here.....it's just so hard to make a decision!

I own the Pioneer Elite VSX-80TX and I am looking to upgrade...so I figured the VSX-94 right...slam dunk right?!

Wrong!

After reading much material here, I now have to decide between 4 comparable (price and features) AVR's that everyone here raves about....the players?

Denon 3808CI

Yamaha RXV3800

Onkyo TX-NR905

Pioneer VSX-94TXH

I have downloaded and printed all of these Users manuals and will be going over functionalities of each unit over the next week or so.

At some point, finding a dealer and going out for auditions is a must. Any strict guidelines I should follow and things I need to look out for while I am 'interviewing' these receivers? Any suggestions on certain media I should bring along that may help in determining good sound?

Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same delima ... I was leaning toward the onkyo, now I guess I am leaning toward the pio elite vsx92. This is funny because I am a new member and I was looking to anwser this exact comparison and I found it here!

Thanks

My Theater is being sheetrocked right now... can't wait

·
Registered
617 Posts
While I can't speak about Pioneer; I can tell you I love my 805... As for the heat/hot issue.. just to be safe I bought a fan that lays flat on top of the receiver that hardly makes any noise...BTW... I only turn this on if the receiver will be on for hours... my suggestion is just keep the receiver in an open, well ventilated area. I have not had any lip sync issues. Bottom line is.... for the $$ you won't find a better receiver than the 805 IMO!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts