AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at CC and asked them about the 806 they said they do not have any available but when they checked their system it was there. They said usually things show up in the system within 2 weeks of it being released.

The price is $999. I do not know if that is the MSRP as I haven't seen or heard a price on it anywhere else.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jochexum /forum/post/14173162

Hmmm...I could buy an 875 for that price...would there be any reason to choose the 806 over the 875?

They learned from their mistakes with the 805,875,905 and the 806 will be a flawless built unit.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmax2k1 /forum/post/14173202

They learned from their mistakes with the 805,875,905 and the 806 will be a flawless built unit.

One can hope...

Although from what I've read the new firmware update for last year's units seemed to have cleared up most of the issues.

I'm just having trouble deciding if I should go for an 875 now or wait for an 806. Seems like they are roughly the same with the 875 having better video upscaling for the same price. Am I missing anything?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Not sure on what the video capabilities of the 806 will be, but if they stick with the same Faroudja implementation, I would go for an 875. The 805 won't upconvert analog components over HDMI, it will flip them from 480i->p and spit it over HDMI, but that's about it. Also, if you were to pass something like a 1080i component signal, it will downconvert to 720p over HDMI...so it depends on how important video upconversion is to you. If the price was the same, I'd honestly go for the 875...

·
Registered
616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGRSBSKIER /forum/post/14172358

I was at CC and asked them about the 806 they said they do not have any available but when they checked their system it was there. They said usually things show up in the system within 2 weeks of it being released.

The price is $999. I do not know if that is the MSRP as I haven't seen or heard a price on it anywhere else.

the 805 was originally 1099.00 At CC when it was released. i suspect 999.00 is msrp pricing as msrp was what CC charged initially for the 805

·
Registered
616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrand1 /forum/post/14173370

Not sure on what the video capabilities of the 806 will be, but if they stick with the same Faroudja implementation, I would go for an 875. The 805 won't upconvert analog components over HDMI, it will flip them from 480i->p and spit it over HDMI, but that's about it. Also, if you were to pass something like a 1080i component signal, it will downconvert to 720p over HDMI...so it depends on how important video upconversion is to you. If the price was the same, I'd honestly go for the 875...

i believe the newer 606 has 1080i upscaling which is better than the 805, i can't imangine the the 806 will have less capacity to upscale than the cheaper 606 model, the same capabilities as worse case scenario.....

·
Banned
3,741 Posts
Can't imagine ANY reason choosing the 806 over the 875 and its top-performing scaler unless 806 brings something new and very important for you (e.g. dynamic volume leveling.)

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
I would wait the two week until it is out to see what is new before jumping in.

·
Registered
616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2k /forum/post/14173634

Can't imagine ANY reason choosing the 806 over the 875 and its top-performing scaler unless 806 brings something new and very important for you (e.g. dynamic volume leveling.)

Good point T2k, i for one would be in the latter scenario, i have little need for the scaling capabilities as i have oppo 983 for dvd and a sammie bd-p1400 for blu-rays, i do have a 506 in my living room and really like what audysseyEQ does for the sound at lower levels and i expect a 806 would sound great replacing my 805 in the theater downstairs... what's good for one isn't always good for another's point of view, but those needing a good scaler the 875 has a Reon HGV which works great.....

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
The TX-SR806 Upgrades will include, 5 HDMI inputs, Audyssey Dynamic EQ system, THX Select 2 Plus certification (which includes THX Loudness Plus).

If those features are worth paying MSRP or very close to it for the first few months of it's release then go for it. Otherwise the 805 at it's current pricing would be the way to go or if you wanted the added video features of the 875 it can be found now around the same price as the 806s msrp.

·
Registered
616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrand1 /forum/post/14173370

posted today is some info on the new 706 with HDMI Video Upscaling up to 1080p with Faroudja DCDi Cinema

this is a newer Faroudja chipset and offers a 3d comb vs. the 805's 2d comb

also note the 706 upscales to 1080p, so again i can't imangine the new 806 with less ....

·
Registered
616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 /forum/post/14173895

The TX-SR806 Upgrades will include, 5 HDMI inputs, Audyssey Dynamic EQ system, THX Select 2 Plus certification (which includes THX Loudness Plus)..

THX Loudness Plus

THX Loudness Plus is a new volume control technology featured in THX Ultra2 Plus and THX Select2 Plus Certified pre-amps, integrated systems and receivers. With THX Loudness Plus, home theater audiences can now experience the rich details and ambient sound in a surround mix at any volume level.

Doesn't the dynamicEQ do the same thing as THX loudness plus?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 /forum/post/14173895

The TX-SR806 Upgrades will include, 5 HDMI inputs, Audyssey Dynamic EQ system, THX Select 2 Plus certification (which includes THX Loudness Plus).

Are you sure about the THX Select 2 Plus, the 805 was Ultra 2, why would it be less this year?

I had the 805 (3) but they had the audio delay, so I got the 605, hoping when the 806 came out it would be fixed, and since our basement wasn't going to be finished for a while the current set up couldn't fully benefit from much more than the 605 because of how the room is set up.

·
Banned
3,741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterryo /forum/post/14174064

THX Loudness Plus

THX Loudness Plus is a new volume control technology featured in THX Ultra2 Plus and THX Select2 Plus Certified pre-amps, integrated systems and receivers. With THX Loudness Plus, home theater audiences can now experience the rich details and ambient sound in a surround mix at any volume level.

No.

·
Banned
3,741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterryo /forum/post/14173784

Good point T2k, i for one would be in the latter scenario, i have little need for the scaling capabilities as i have oppo 983 for dvd and a sammie bd-p1400 for blu-rays, i do have a 506 in my living room and really like what audysseyEQ does for the sound at lower levels and i expect a 806 would sound great replacing my 805 in the theater downstairs... what's good for one isn't always good for another's point of view, but those needing a good scaler the 875 has a Reon HGV which works great.....

I hear you but isn't that cable/sat PQ you have there ugly as hell?
That's when HQV could help a LOT - an though I'd looove to have some dynamic volume leveling system I am unwilling to sacrifice PQ for it.

Let's hope 806 brings at least a Faroudja Torino chip, like the new H/Ks do - that could make it a very-very strong proposition against 875.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterryo /forum/post/14174064

THX Loudness Plus

They both address the same problem, that human audio frequency and directional response changes with absolute level, but the two systems do not work in the same way.

·
Registered
616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2k /forum/post/14174338

I hear you but isn't that cable/sat PQ you have there ugly as hell?
That's when HQV could help a LOT - an though I'd looove to have some dynamic volume leveling system I am unwilling to sacrifice PQ for it.

Let's hope 806 brings at least a Faroudja Torino chip, like the new H/Ks do - that could make it a very-very strong proposition against 875.

yes it would.... seeing that my screen name is sterryo (stereo) you shouldn't be surprised that i prefer aq over pq. in that you prefer it the other way is cool too, just different strokes for different folks.... gotta love today's technology anyway....

·
Registered
616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyzziks /forum/post/14174413

They both address the same problem, that human audio frequency and directional response changes with absolute level, but the two systems do not work in the same way.

do you think they are complimentary or used as an either or ... solution????

1 - 20 of 28 Posts