AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, a big storm rolled through last night and it appears that my surge protector for my media room didnt do a very good job at protecting my 807. Unit turns on but I get "no display" message on the tv from any source I select. I didnt have a chance to check and see if maybe the tv is the problem before I had to leave for work. If it is the 807, Onkyo wont cover it under warranty because it was due to lightning and my home owners wont cover it for the same reason. Kills me because I just bought it last november from Club Onkyo and I just finished my room last week

My question to everyone is what would be a good replacement? Ive always liked Onkyos and Im looking at the 808, 709 or 809. Does anyone have any opinions on these three or maybe a different manufacturer? Price range is under $1000 and if I chose one of the Onkyos I'd probably pick up a refurb through club onkyo or accessories4less to keep me in that price range.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to add that I am running Polk Monitor 70's in the front, Monitor 40's for wides, Monitor 30's for surrounds, CS20 for my center and a BIC F12 for my sub. If that helps anyones input.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud8fan74 /forum/post/20769526

Well, a big storm rolled through last night and it appears that my surge protector for my media room didnt do a very good job at protecting my 807. Unit turns on but I get "no display" message on the tv from any source I select. I didnt have a chance to check and see if maybe the tv is the problem before I had to leave for work. If it is the 807, Onkyo wont cover it under warranty because it was due to lightning and my home owners wont cover it for the same reason. Kills me because I just bought it last november from Club Onkyo and I just finished my room last week

My question to everyone is what would be a good replacement? Ive always liked Onkyos and Im looking at the 808, 709 or 809. Does anyone have any opinions on these three or maybe a different manufacturer? Price range is under $1000 and if I chose one of the Onkyos I'd probably pick up a refurb through club onkyo or accessories4less to keep me in that price range.

The 809 has been available for $699 on weekend pricing for the last couple months. Not every weekend, but a lot of them.

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Did it fry completely or just lock up?

There is a rest procedure in the manual for resetting the microprocessor....

If smoke came out of it yea, its dead... But Ive seen alot of these models lock up and a reset needed. Ive even seen one stop respondign to IR comannds and areset needed.

I forget texactly what the procedure is, something like the far left input buttons and power at the same time.

By the way you shouldnt have said anything about lightening.....they would have taken care of that no quesitons asked. Had a house get a lightining strike, took out the TV, baluns and the HDMI board ina pioneer....they fixed it under warrenty...didnt mention anything about what happened.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I havent talked to anyone from Onkyo yet, I just read on their website that they dont cover any damages due to lightning. Im still going to try to send it in and get it fixed hopefully.

Funny thing is that I dont think the surge protector was the problem. After I got home from work yesterday, I discovered that the surge must have come from my cable internet coax cable. Everything that was connected via ethernet is DOA from the modem out. Wireless routher, PS3, Xbox360, the 807, two network switches, etc. Equipment in the same racks that were not connected to any ethernet are fine. Also discovered that the cable company did not ground their coax at any point from the pole to the house. Not to pleased about that, supposed to meet with the Field Installation Supervisor to discuss the damage....supposedly

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.