AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI Nice People :)

Need some adivce(s) on a new receiver, I have been using the same yamaha for over 7 years now (it doesnt have HDMI).

I just got a new house with a small mediaroom (14 x17) so i am ready to upgrade!

I have some Klipsch speakers (F30, s / c 20), I use mostly an HTPC with high def movies and some music.

Looking for a new receiver, i can get Onkyo 818 or Yamaha A1020 for around the same price $650ich, which one should i get if i want 80% Movies / 20% music?

Or other suggestion in the same price range? Should I wait for the 2014 model?

Thank you in advance!!!

"May the power of the Great Sound be with You"

Pierre

·
Registered
1,455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xylem  /t/1525325/onkyo-818-vs-yamaha-a1020-or-other-for-650-price-range#post_24555457

HI Nice People :)

Need some adivce(s) on a new receiver, I have been using the same yamaha for over 7 years now (it doesnt have HDMI).

I just got a new house with a small mediaroom (14 x17) so i am ready to upgrade!

I have some Klipsch speakers (F30, s / c 20), I use mostly an HTPC with high def movies and some music.

Looking for a new receiver, i can get Onkyo 818 or Yamaha A1020 for around the same price $650ich, which one should i get if i want 80% Movies / 20% music?

Or other suggestion in the same price range? Should I wait for the 2014 model?

Thank you in advance!!!

"May the power of the Great Sound be with You"

Pierre

I think the only reason to wait for this years model, is if you're extremely eager to go 4K. But considering both of those are likely the prices you're seeing because they've been discontinued, you're likely to end up paying more for the same quality and features. Between those two, the Yamaha will no doubt be more familiar to you, so it partly depends on your contentment with the brand. The Onkyo features THX, HQV video processing, and Audyssey XT32, an impossible combination to beat at that price range, maybe for three times as much. Though one that may or may not be especially useful to you, if you don't need the video processing; THX isn't exactly necessary, and Yamaha has YPAO, which isn't bad, but likely not nearly as refined as XT32, which Yamaha makes up for with the additional ability for manual tweaking of EQ, but manual tweaking isn't remotely plug and play and will come with some additional accessory requirments as well as study.

Yamaha is one of the most reliable brands with the least reported problems and returns from what I've been told. Where Onkyo is one of the worst, particularly the 818, which has had a lot of premature heat related failures of HDMI. It's still seems to be a highly regarded unit by it's owners though, even some who've had to get it fixed are still apparently satisfied, considering what it offers for the price. Onkyo seems to be stepping up and taking care of their customers even outside of the factory warranty, at least for now, but I'd still favor buying an extended warranty from Onkyo and possibly a cheap cooling fan or two to exhaust heat from the unit, especially if it's a tight fit in your equipment rack or it's to be used in an enclosed cabinet. Some arent' having problems, others are reporting failures anywhere from 1 to 3 years from what I've seen.

For 2-channel music, I'd probably favor the Yamaha for their DSPs, but I'm not really sure what DSPs are offered in the 1020 or if they're a versatily implemented as they are in the 3030 that I own, so you might want to download the manual from Yamaha's site (which is free) to check that out further, or demo one in a store - I think Best Buy (Magnolia) carries the 1030.

Ultimately, I think the Yamaha is more likely to prove the more reliable and is much likely better made, but the Onkyo has a few quality features (THX, HQV, XT32) that might make it worth overlooking its potential design/build flaws, if movie reproduction is of chief importance. Actually, scratch that middle one, as I'd forgotten, I believe the 1020 still features HQV too. Yamaha dropped it with the xx30 line because the chip was discontinued.

Others will no doubt chime in soon, saying that if it has Onkyo printed on it, you should treat it like a bomb about to explode. That seems beyond excessive, but if you're the one who gets a bad unit and ends up being without an AVR while it's at the shop for a month or so waiting on parts, you might then think they were right.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn  /t/1525325/onkyo-818-vs-yamaha-a1020-or-other-for-650-price-range#post_24555819

I would wait for a 2014 model with hdmi 2.0. If you're buying a receiver for HDMI then get one that won't be obsolete in a few years. I would avoid Onkyo. Too many HDMI issues.

I don't see current AVRs with HDMI 1.4 hardly being "obsolete" in a few years - certainly not due to some as yet mythical BD4K format, as appealing as that dream might be, it's still at best a dream at the moment. But, then I'm not as optimistic about 4K proving competitively viable in that timeframe, as I was 1080p supplanting 720p.

Reactions: 802Diamond

·
Registered
6,074 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Varnadore  /t/1525325/onkyo-818-vs-yamaha-a1020-or-other-for-650-price-range#post_24556139

certainly not due to some as yet mythical BD4K format, as appealing as that dream might be, it's still at best a dream at the moment.

You mean h.265?

The format that was finalized over a year ago, The format that will be decodable in pretty much every UHD TV. The format that is twice as efficient as the current h.264 used in 1080 content.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/lg-hevc-201401033549.htm

"LG hasn’t said as much, but it’s likely that at least one, if not all of the new models in its 2014 range of Ultra HD 4K TVs will come with HDMI 2.0 and inbuilt 10-bit H.265 decoder, allowing for direct streaming of 4K content, and playback of 4K media (when we finally get some!)."

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/samsung-prices-dates-extensive-premium-tv-lineup-goes-uhd/#!CpKAu

"All of Samsung’s UHD televisions this year support the latest standards, including HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, MHL 3.0, and HEVC (H.265) video-file decoding."

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20140120230316_BDA_Developing_4K_UHD_Blu_Ray_Specification.html

"The Blu-ray disc association (BDA), the organization responsible for standardizing the BD technology, earlier this month confirmed that it is working on a new specification of Blu-ray technology that will support ultra-high-definition video. It is unknown when the new spec is to be finalized, but it will support multiple innovations in addition to 4K video."

For UHD Blu-ray, they can easily do it. It's just a matter of deciding on the final specs. They'll definitely uses h.265 decoding and most likely 100 GB discs.

I've seen 4k content rendered on a 4K TV. It's not an impossible task. It looks much better than 1080 content on a 1080 TV.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting enough, so do you think the video processing of the Onkyo/yamaha will be "out of date" soon based on the new upcoming format?

I am pretty much looking for the best Audio/Video quality for the price. I dont care about wifi, bluetooth, online streaming, dlna, blablabla... I just want a devise that will allow the best audio/video quality. AND I want to make sure in 2 to 3 years from now, I will still get the most of it and dont need to buy another one because HDMI 5.2 D doubleTTS Surround 4D video is here :)

Honeystly. 4k is just out, and I dont see myself changing my TV any time soon. Prices are still rocket high, and the source is not ready yet for mass comuption.

Should I try my luck with Onkyo and its list of great video/audio feature but riskier based on HDMI issue?

Yamaha is a safe bet but, is the output quality better than onkyo? tuff question!

FYI:

Onkyo 818 is 650$ and i can get 4 years extended warranty for 50$

Yamaha A1020 is 699$, dont think i would need extended warranty.

So at the end it s the same price.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn  /t/1525325/onkyo-818-vs-yamaha-a1020-or-other-for-650-price-range#post_24556310

You mean h.265?

The format that was finalized over a year ago, The format that will be decodable in pretty much every UHD TV. The format that is twice as efficient as the current h.264 used in 1080 content.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/lg-hevc-201401033549.htm

"LG hasn’t said as much, but it’s likely that at least one, if not all of the new models in its 2014 range of Ultra HD 4K TVs will come with HDMI 2.0 and inbuilt 10-bit H.265 decoder, allowing for direct streaming of 4K content, and playback of 4K media (when we finally get some!)."

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/samsung-prices-dates-extensive-premium-tv-lineup-goes-uhd/#!CpKAu

"All of Samsung’s UHD televisions this year support the latest standards, including HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, MHL 3.0, and HEVC (H.265) video-file decoding."

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20140120230316_BDA_Developing_4K_UHD_Blu_Ray_Specification.html

"The Blu-ray disc association (BDA), the organization responsible for standardizing the BD technology, earlier this month confirmed that it is working on a new specification of Blu-ray technology that will support ultra-high-definition video. It is unknown when the new spec is to be finalized, but it will support multiple innovations in addition to 4K video."

For UHD Blu-ray, they can easily do it. It's just a matter of deciding on the final specs. They'll definitely uses h.265 decoding and most likely 100 GB discs.

I've seen 4k content rendered on a 4K TV. It's not an impossible task. It looks much better than 1080 content on a 1080 TV.

The format that as yet has zero studio support... as far as physical media goes anyway. Select title streaming in select markets that can handle the bandwidth halfway reliably isn't exactly something to cheer about. I already replied, covering most of your points in another thread. Sorry, if I don't feel like taking the time to do it again. Like I said: "mythical". But, I'd love to be wrong on this, I really would. It just seems to me 4K media has a lot of hurdles to overcome yet, possibly a few brick walls based on some studio thinking. I can see studios trying to exploit it as more incentive to push people down the digital rabit hole.

Reactions: 802Diamond

·
Registered
83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52  /t/1525325/onkyo-818-vs-yamaha-a1020-or-other-for-650-price-range#post_24557283

This.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v677_black_u/?mode=model

Avoid an Onkyo. Too many reliable brands out there to purchase without the gamble.

Between an A-1020 for 699,- and a V-677 for 649,- the choice is simple: go for the A-1020; that will be 50 bucks well invested.

As between the 818 and the A-1020, that is a tougher nut to crack. Feature wise the Onkyo wins hands down, while I think the Yamaha will sound a (little) bit better. That said, like Chad already told, the Onkyo will compensate more than enough that with the Audyssey XT64, so the Onkyo gives the best features for the price...

There are issues with the HDMI board (which date back as far as the TX-SR905 series IIRC) but they are not so common as everyone will let you believe; from the few hundreds pieces we sold since 2007, there is only one unit that had to return for repair (which Onkyo handled superbly BTW: they changed the full board for free.) I would try my luck on the Onkyo. Be sure to give the unit enough ventilation, and you should be fine...

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That s currently my idea, Onkyo seems to get the best overall feature line up. I am just worried about this HDMI issue... Since I am looking for at least 80% movie, the Onkyo seems to be the best fit. But I keep hearing the Yamaha should deliver the best sound... Best sound overall or best sound for music lover? (I am targeting Movie)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Best sound for a music lover. I bet you will hardly hear any difference between the two in movies, and that is before calibration set up. Since the Onkyo has Audyssey Xt on board, I would put my money there...

·
Registered
6,074 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Varnadore  /t/1525325/onkyo-818-vs-yamaha-a1020-or-other-for-650-price-range#post_24557073

The format that as yet has zero studio support... as far as physical media goes anyway. Select title streaming in select markets that can handle the bandwidth halfway reliably isn't exactly something to cheer about. I already replied, covering most of your points in another thread. Sorry, if I don't feel like taking the time to do it again. Like I said: "mythical". But, I'd love to be wrong on this, I really would. It just seems to me 4K media has a lot of hurdles to overcome yet, possibly a few brick walls based on some studio thinking. I can see studios trying to exploit it as more incentive to push people down the digital rabit hole.

Do you have any links to back up your statements?

·
Registered
6,074 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 802Diamond  /t/1525325/onkyo-818-vs-yamaha-a1020-or-other-for-650-price-range#post_24558355

There are issues with the HDMI board (which date back as far as the TX-SR905 series IIRC) but they are not so common as everyone will let you believe; from the few hundreds pieces we sold since 2007, there is only one unit that had to return for repair (which Onkyo handled superbly BTW: they changed the full board for free.) I would try my luck on the Onkyo. Be sure to give the unit enough ventilation, and you should be fine...

The issue of Onkyo HDMI failures being not as common as many believe or keeping them cool will prevent failure has been debunked repeatedly by many members of this forum.

Buy an Onkyo if you want, but one person stating there are no hdmi issues vs hundreds who say there are HDMI issues seems kind of risky to me.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Also, if you're worried about future issues with an 818, buy an extended warranty. That's what I did cuz the 818 had the features I wanted in my budget!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtxgringo  /t/1525325/onkyo-818-vs-yamaha-a1020-or-other-for-650-price-range#post_24559232

Also, if you're worried about future issues with an 818, buy an extended warranty. That's what I did cuz the 818 had the features I wanted in my budget!

So what can you tell me about the Onkyo if you have one? no issue? for how long do you have it?

It's currently 650$ with OncallDOTcom and extended warranty is about 50$ for 4 years.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I've had it since Feb this year, upgraded from an RC180. What I noticed first was that you can set the dB level of your sub before running Auddysey which is a novel idea, to me anyway. It has Manual EQ that you can set individual speakers to & I've adjusted mine so that vocals in music & tv is much more clear not that it was bad before, but now it's even better. I love the styling of the 818, bit different than what I had, mostly the front panel which pushes to open rather than pull out like the 180. Only prob I have so far is with Dish Network & watching programming with Dolby Digital, when that switches to a commercial & the mode changes, I get a soft thump from the sub which I've yet to find why even after asking Dish, here on couple forums etc. Didn't have that issue with the 180, so who knows? I got mine from OneCall as well. I listened to some tunes pretty loud for several hours yesterday & I went to the unit to see how hot it was since the 180 used to get really hot, but the 818 was actually cool to the touch on top! So don't think that will be an issue, but considering that it's the capacitors or something with the hdmi for a couple years that Onkyo has had, no telling if by the time I bought mine they had gone through all the bad parts etc. Overall, it produces great sound with my setup & video is crystal clear. Was it a big improvement over the 180 with the XT32? Not really, but did integrate my sub better into my system & cleaned up the sound since I listen to music mostly & movies now n then. I would've bought a Denon X4000 but that's just way too pricey for my budget, so like I said, I took a chance on the 818 & got an extended warranty just in case. If you read the 818 forum here, many have had no issues with it & many have, so it's a 50-50 proposition I guess lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts