AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone,

I have the urge to upgrade my receiver. the z-9 is very stout but I can't help but feel it is lacking bass and some detail. I have been feeding it analog from an oppo 83se and recently switched to a panasonic bdp-500 (analog as well).

I tried the Sherwood R-972 (two units in fact, both were defective). At least accessories4less was good enough to return them both at my shipping expense.

anyone with experience going from a z-9 to a 818?

I have an Integra 8.8 in the barn theater and it sounds incredible but I cannot really compare the sound in both theaters because I built the barn theater so much better than the upstairs one with the z-9. The barn theater is built using the golden ratio, floating floors, bass traps around every perimeter corner. I even filled the walls with sand! The upstairs theater has good isolation but I over-insulated it (wrapped the entire envelope with insulboard).

There was one fleeting moment before the second R-972 died that I heard some really good bass and detail. Unfortunately it did not last.

Oh, I should mention that given a proper signal, the infinite baffle subwoofer array should have no problem reproducing bass down to subsonic frequencies, so I know the problem is with the z-9 not my LFE array.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone?

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how about using the 818 as a processor and the z9 as an amp?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts