AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm in some bad need of advice here. I've ordered a set of speakers as follows:


Canton Vento 890 DC (front)

Canton Vento 856 CM (center)

Canton GLE 410 (surround)


I haven't got a receiver for these so I obviously need to order a receiver as well. I don't necessarily need 2 HDMI out, but it's of course not bad in case I'd get a projector. The sound is definitely most important - I want good sound in movies but I also want good sound in stereo when listening to music.


I've had the Onkyo 876 as my main choice for a long time but I've read that some people think that it doesn't really do well in music because it's mainly just a power package. I want a receiver that can play all kinds of music (classical, pop etc) in a great way - and of course also be an excellent surround receiver.


The different main alternatives seem to be the Onkyo 876, Denon 3310 (or 4310), Pioneer SC-LX71 (or 81) and Marantz 8002. Unfortunately, I won't be able to listen to these, except for the Denon, so I very much appreciate any help and advice that I can get here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,408 Posts
I think I can be of some assistance to you; I can't speak to your specific speakers but I do have two of the AVRs you are interested (Denon 3310, Onkyo 876).


In my opinion the 876 is definitely more AVR for your dollar. However, the 3310 is not without its advantages; I have my 876 in a 3,000 cubic foot room and my 3310 in an 1,100 cubic foot room; both are driving reasonably sensitive (90 - 92 db) 8 ohm speakers; in my 1,100 cubic foot room the Onkyo's extra power is just not needed. If you need power then the Onkyo is definitely the way to go.


Some other pros and cons for these units include the following:


- Onkyo 876 has Audyssey MultiEQXT - Denon 3310 has just MultiEQ

- 876 has isf controls (many more video tweaking options than on the Denon)

- 876 accepts DSD over HDMI - the 3310 does not.

- 876 has a far better remote (doesn't matter if you use a universal remote)

- 876 is far easier to setup and navigate through its menus.

- 3310 overalys all its menus over program material; only a limited number of functions are overlaid over program material on the 876; in addition, the 876's menus while nice are not in HD so your TV has to resynch between different resolutions.

- 876 is THX Ultra 2 certified which includes THX processing modes and THX Loudness plus (THX version of Dynamic EQ); the Denon is not THX certified.

- The 3310 is a network receiver and can stream content from your computer, the 876 cannot.

- the 876 has two HDMI outputs, the 3310 does not.

- Video switching is faster on the 3310 than on the 876.

- Video processing is good on both in terms of PQ but in practice, both are very limited due to implementation issues (I use video processing only for my cable boxes on both and even for this I find their limitations quite frustrating).



In terms of thier abilities with music I have them in very different setups with different speakers so I can't directly compare; however, I don't find the 876 inferior to the 3310 in terms of music though I admit that I use them both for TV and movies 80% or more of the time.


Note: you will hear a lot on these forums about the Onkyo running hot; I can't really comment as my 876 sits on the top shelf of an open cabinet, yes it runs hot but it doesn't seem to run hotter than my 3310 which is in a ventilated but enclosed cabinet (I don't know what it would be like if their roles were reversed - I had a Yamaha RX-V2400 in the Onkyo's place before and it ran very cool).


Anyway, to sum it up, I prefer the Denon 3310 for a user convenience standpoint (better GUI and faster switching, and networking); however, in the room I have it in I don't need the 876's additional grunt; on the other hand, I would not consider replacing the 876 with the 3310 in the 3,000 cubic foot room that the 876 sits in.


I hope this helps.


Cons:

- GUI overlay limited (Denon 3310 overlays all menus over program matieral,
 

·
The Village Idiot
Joined
·
9,713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peligroso /forum/post/16990660


but I've read that some people think that it doesn't really do well in music because it's mainly just a power package. I want a receiver that can play all kinds of music (classical, pop etc) in a great way - and of course also be an excellent surround receiver.

No matter what equipment you wish to read about there will always be someone who doesn't think brand x or brand y is 'musical' enough. The 876 is no more or less 'musical' than any other brand at the price point in which you are exploring- and may be better than some. It is a very good AVR - don't let a few opinions sway you one way or the other. No matter which one you end up buying I could find remarks from owners who will disparage the brand and model. Makes one wonder if they really do own the brand they are 'reporting' on.


The 876 uses some of the best DACs in the business (Burr-Brown) and are found in much more expensive AVRs/AVPs.


Buy it if you want it - then sit back and enjoy the music. The 876 is a great AVR - don't let anyone fool you into believing its not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/16993328


The 876 is a great AVR - don't let anyone fool you into believing its not.

No, I'm sure it's a great receiver. The main problem here might be my speakers. Apparently, the Canton speakers are pretty "warm" sounding, which generally means it's a good match with an Onkyo receiver which is a pretty aggressive receiver. However, it seems like it's not great when playing acoustic or classical music which would be a real shame. At the same time, Denon and Marantz which are considered more 'musical' amplifiers are also considered quite laid back, and if I'd mix that with the Canton speakers the result might not be great either. So I'm pretty lost and can't really decide what to do here
 

·
The Village Idiot
Joined
·
9,713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peligroso /forum/post/16994536


No, I'm sure it's a great receiver. The main problem here might be my speakers. Apparently, the Canton speakers are pretty "warm" sounding, which generally means it's a good match with an Onkyo receiver which is a pretty aggressive receiver. However, it seems like it's not great when playing acoustic or classical music which would be a real shame. At the same time, Denon and Marantz which are considered more 'musical' amplifiers are also considered quite laid back, and if I'd mix that with the Canton speakers the result might not be great either. So I'm pretty lost and can't really decide what to do here

What you do is go buy one that has a 30 day tryout with refund if not satisfied. The Onkyo is no more or less 'musical' than any other AVR. Speakers are far more different in sound than any AVR.


If you can distinguish one AVR from another in a DBT you could win $10,000 . So far no one had won the money. Apparently many have tried.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/16994627


What you do is go buy one that has a 30 day tryout with refund if not satisfied. The Onkyo is no more or less 'musical' than any other AVR. Speakers are far more different in sound than any AVR.


If you can distinguish one AVR from another in a DBT you could win $10,000 . So far no one had won the money. Apparently many have tried.

Hehe, that's an interesting link. Surely there must be some difference between them, but I do agree I also believe it's more about the speakers than the amplifier. I think I'll order an Onkyo 876, it's just a pity it's so ugly. Also, I'll import it from Germany as they're sold out in Sweden, so won't really be able to return it, but I would probably be able to sell it for a not too big loss anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peligroso /forum/post/16994714


Hehe, that's an interesting link. Surely there must be some difference between them, but I do agree I also believe it's more about the speakers than the amplifier. I think I'll order an Onkyo 876, it's just a pity it's so ugly. Also, I'll import it from Germany as they're sold out in Sweden, so won't really be able to return it, but I would probably be able to sell it for a not too big loss anyway.

Ugly !!!! My silver one is very classy looking to me. Now all I have to do is get it up and running. Haven't had time to set it up after receiving it last week.
 

·
The Village Idiot
Joined
·
9,713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/16994752


Ugly !!!! My silver one is very classy looking to me. Now all I have to do is get it up and running. Haven't had time to set it up after receiving it last week.

+1

I like the looks too. The black stripe looks great. Black AVRs are so 'common' looking.


Get one here in silver. One is new - the other is refurbished.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, I definitely think it looks better in silver as well. The new series are better looking, as they have changed the flap and the buttons. I mainly don't like the shape of it though, I would have liked it more if it was flat.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top