AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi am new to this forum but i need your help getting the right system for me

I would like to get the Onkyo 904 but i dont know if its good like is the Bass on it good or not all i want to spend is no more then 1000 dollars for a 5.1 system.

And i also will have PS3 , Computer , and Wii and HDTV .

Can Please tell me what should i get.

Ohh yeah and its hard for me to choose b/c i live in Canada B.C and i only have 3 stores i could shop from

1. www.futureshop.ca

2. www.visions.ca

3. www.electronicsforless.ca

Thank You

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought this Onkyo system shortly after Christmas from Circuit City, and set it up last week. This is my second HTIB (first was a Sony), and to my ears, it's a great sounding system. The quite large, powered subwoofer is 230 watts (if memory serves me correctly), and it will make your bones vibrate all by itself. I'm still planning on posting a thread on the results of the installation, but I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.

I am very happy with this 5.1 system. It puts out an amazing sound. The 908 system (7.1) has gotten a lot of attention on this forum because the receiver is considered to be a little better than the one in the 904 system. In addition, the 908 will work with only three HDMI connections, whereas the 904 also uses three HDMI connections, but you still need a coax connection (for audio), from the DVD player to the receiver, and an optical cable (for audio) from the Direct TV receiver to the Onkyo receiver. There are a number of places to buy the system, all for well under $1,000.

Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you could buy it under 1000 but i am from canada and the duites and taxes to ship it for usa it will costs a lot

but i think i am going to get the 908 and just use it as 5.1 setup

·
Registered
74 Posts
Will the 908 pass sound over HDMI unlike the 800 and 894?

Also, is this like the 894 in which if you are using Component you can't use HDMI and vice versa?

·
Registered
16 Posts
How many people have had problems with the HDMI pass through on the 904? I found a couple other references to the same problem and mine has to go back to CC for the same issue. (by the way I did go into setup and assigned the HDMI inputs to DVD and Cable).

I'm not very comfortable exchanging for the same system as I now have an uneasy feeling about its quality and the relatively low price of this HTiB. Is there any validity to my hesitation? Is this a case of you get what you pay for or just a little bit of bad luck?

Any suggestions for HTiB in the $500-$800 range?

I mostly liked the Onkyo (it is not overly powerful, but was ok for the smallish room I set it up in), but I'm livid about the HDMI pass through not working. Everything worked with component and optical connections but I really wanted to make use of the HDMI connections and that just isn't working.

Is there a consensus as to whether this unit is problematic with regards to the HDMI pass through / switching function?

I feel like I have hit every pothole there is to hit on the road to home theater with equipment problems every step of the way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The original 904 system that I purchased from Circuit City had a problem with the HDMI pass-through. The problem was that I wasn't getting a picture through to the television (the HDMI running from my DirecTV HR20 to the Onkyo receiver evidently did not connect correctly). I returned it to Circuit City, and they exchanged it for a brand new complete system. After I set the new one up, it worked perfectly. That was back in January 2008, and I have not had any problems with it. I am very happy with the Onkyo 904. Perhaps there is something in the manufacturing process that makes the HDMI connections vulnerable to a common problem. My second unit seems to have made it through the manufacturing process with no issues.

Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts