AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Does anyoen know of, or have any information on the possibility or likelyhood of a software upgrade for the 989 Ver2 to support Dolby Prologic IIx ? I called Onkyo today and spoke to a support person who said they are currently "looking into it".

I just bought this receiver almost two weeks ago and I don't want to get stuck with a Lemon which will not be upgraded to PLIIx! :)

Thanks in advance,

A.F.

· Registered
11,586 Posts
Dolby Prologic IIx, was just announced. So how could anyone here know what Onkyo is going to with it, or if they even have plans for it concerning the 989ver2 receiver.

That is a risk you take when you buy anything, in that it may or may not be upgradeable to a newer format. Even if the unit was advertised as being upgradeable when you bought it.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Someone here could EASILY know the answer to my question. As long as someone within Onkyo knows. PLIIx has just been "announced" but it has been in development for a while.. and there were already receiveres demoed with the prototype technology by other manufacturers... on Dolby's website it lists Onkyo as one of the manufactures developing PLIIx capable devices... and then it lists several other manufacturers as having Hardware upgrades avaialbe for their flagship receivers to support PLIIx.

If several other companies can confirm the existence of an upgrade path upon PLIIx's initial announcement then I see no reason why Onkyo could not do the same.

Thanks,

A.F.

· Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Atomic Flip
Someone here could EASILY know the answer to my question.

Well you called Onkyo, and they did not know.

So there is no way anyone here would know anything more than Onkyo themselves know right now.

It's not a EASY, as you think it is, for someone here to actually know it for a fact, and not just be a 2nd hand rumor!

And it might not just be a software upgrade to do it, if they do have a upgrade in planning for it.

As it may very well take a hardware upgrade to do it, if they do end up having any upgrade for the 989ver2.

Just like they had to do, to make the original 989's into ver2 units.

It was a upgrade that you had to pay for, and send the unit back to Onkyo for them to do it.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Johnla,

First let me thankyou for both of your replies to my thread. I always appreciate it when someone contributes to a discussion I have started. Unfortunately... I just don't find your opinions to be in agreeance with my own.

I am not looking for hard facts. I was looking to find anyone out there who might know more than the 1st tier of technical support at Onkyo.. which is generally clueless as to many facets of their own products. As is the same with many 1st tier support departments with many different companies. It is not a criticism of the support team but rather a simple fact that many of the first tier support people are not privy to a great deal of information.

As I work a full time job, I have little time to spend calling Onkyo to insist on researching this matter between the hours of 9 and 5 p.M. eastern time... and so I am poasting my question tot hese forums.

There is someone out there who knows more than you or I on this matter and I am hoping they will read this thread and respond to it. Until that happens I would prefer that we not debate wether I should be asking this question in the first place.

Thanks,

A.F.

· Registered
379 Posts
I would assume Onkyo would have this upgrade avilable when they're ready. I also have the ver.2 and was wondering myself. Since the 989 ver.2 just about has all the current decoding software, I would assume they'll eventually have PLIIx incorporated.

Just my $0.02

Arnold

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.